Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times

Advertisements

I am going to transfer from my current college as soon as I finish up the Fall and Spring semester here, and then I am highly interested in UAB. Is it a good school for a student majoring in Business?

I do have a few other choices as well like Georgia State University and a few schools in Florida as well, but my preference is a college in a town with a population over 100,000+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
They're well-known for medicine. Business, I don't know.

USC, College of Charleston, Tennessee-Knoxville, USF, UCF, Memphis, UNC Charlotte, are all decent universities in the area, not overwhelmingly selective, in towns over 100k population.

USC and UNCC are both known for their business schools.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
As already stated, UAB would be wonderful for biology/medicine. I'd go with Georgia State over UAB for business. Have you been to Birmingham? I'd be bored outta my mind if I went there in my 20s. With Georgia State, you'd essentially be in the middle of everything.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
What's the reason for wanting a town with 100,000 or more people?

Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Well, I chose UAB because it's in-state for me over GSU since it's out of state. And I have been to Birmingham before, but it's been years since I last went to the downtown part. I only go to the outskirts of Birmingham on I-20 and I-65 whenever I go back home.

Anyhow, I've been stuck in a small town all of my life, and when I came to school here, I relocated to a small college town. I basically need to be in a bigger city so I can be closer to potential jobs and internships. Plus, I need a change of pace from a smaller city to a bigger city.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,184 times
If UAB is a good fit and affordable, go there. I have hired many employees over the years in the jobs I have had and I never felt one university over another made a difference. Get good grades, do partake in internship opportunities and you will be just as marketable. Now if you said you were going to get the degree from an on-line university vs a public one, I would tell you I don't think much of the on-line degrees. Some of my employees have pursued those degrees and I just don't see the knowledge transfer into the workplace as a result, just my personal opinion. Good luck to you, my daughter lives in Birmingham and loves it!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
If UAB is a good fit and affordable, go there. I have hired many employees over the years in the jobs I have had and I never felt one university over another made a difference. Get good grades, do partake in internship opportunities and you will be just as marketable. Now if you said you were going to get the degree from an on-line university vs a public one, I would tell you I don't think much of the on-line degrees. Some of my employees have pursued those degrees and I just don't see the knowledge transfer into the workplace as a result, just my personal opinion. Good luck to you, my daughter lives in Birmingham and loves it!
Thank you, I really appreciated that advice. While I never really showed any interest in the online schools, I almost ended up choosing ITT Tech until my dad persuaded to try a normal four year university instead. Do I necessary need any kind of experience just to start an internship or anything?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,184 times
Just doing some internship work would be good and if you can happen to end up with some part-time job that has relevant experience in administrative functions would be good. My daughter graduated from BSC last May and was hired in June as an Executive Administrative Assistant and she just resigned that job to start her Masters at UAB in the Fall. She got the best experience, was assigned every kind of task possible, from answering phones to doing the daily deposit to coordination of regional sales meetings.

Be sure you check with Regions Bank if you are looking for part-time work once you get there, they are headquartered in Birmingham, that was where my daughter was going to try to go if this other job had not fallen in her lap. When you take your non-core courses, try to take more accounting/finance related courses. Your BA in Business with good accounting coursework will be a good foundation to find a job with....

Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM

Thank you again. That's another one of my main reasons why I am making the move to Birmingham is because of Regions having their headquarters there along with the overall financial district in Birmingham. I'm going to start planning now.

Right now, I'm taking the rest of my basic courses along with accounting I this semester.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Well, I chose UAB because it's in-state for me over GSU since it's out of state. And I have been to Birmingham before, but it's been years since I last went to the downtown part. I only go to the outskirts of Birmingham on I-20 and I-65 whenever I go back home.

Anyhow, I've been stuck in a small town all of my life, and when I came to school here, I relocated to a small college town. I basically need to be in a bigger city so I can be closer to potential jobs and internships. Plus, I need a change of pace from a smaller city to a bigger city.

Ok. I was just interested. I was born and raised in Charlotte (fairly large city) and went to ECU. When I was at ECU the city had approx 80,000 residents (20,000+ being students). I just love the college town atmosphere.

But I see where you're coming from regarding opportunities/jobs. A job was very hard to come by there.

There arent a whole lot of options in Alabama. Is going out of state an option now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities