Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 PM

175 posts, read 598,702 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some of the programs offered at my local community college's website and I was wondering about the CISCO networking degree also the Computer Information Systems degree.

If I go to school and graduate with a degree in that major, will I be able to get a job easily?

I've heard from different individuals throughout the years that most employers won't give you a second glance if you don't have gadzillion years of experience and a zillion certifications.............. your thoughts please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,888,716 times
You'll need to have three things to succeed in IT: Experience, Education, Certification. Most IT programs today, particularly at the CC level build in the opportunity to gain certs by taking courses that teach to the exams. Experience you can start getting by finding a relevant on or off campus part-time job in IT.

In most cases, to really move ahead in IT, you'll eventually need a BS, but AS/AAS is a good start.

As for getting a job easily, well, that is coming to few people easily these days regardless of field.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:20 PM

436 posts, read 753,201 times
If you want to go into computer networking, than getting cisco certifications are helpful. Just make sure you know your stuff during the technical interview, because a ccna or ccda candidate without too much experience is a dime a dozen in this day and age.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM

208 posts, read 817,745 times
Default Degree all the way.

It seems like you are talking about two different things, possibly three. The Cisco program is usually a certificate program that will prepare you for a Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCIE. Computer Information Systems is either an Associate or Bachelors Degree that gives you experience in a wide range of disciplines: Windows, UNIX, networking, some programming, etc.

On face value, I would say go for the Bachelors degree, and if you some type of computer experience (i.e., building your own computer) or at least a really big desire in computers, I would say try to get a job at your local computer store. Try the bigger chains, like Best Buy, CompUSA, or whatever is in your area. You want to gain experience, which can be more helpful sometimes than paper that says you completed a program. Ideally, you want the degree, certification, and experience.

I wouldn’t just go for the Cisco certificate unless you have some experience in the field, and you want to add to arsenal by having a Cisco cert. Cisco is very good to have, but you want to be well rounded, and you won’t need to renew your college degree every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities