Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:00 AM

318 posts, read 820,506 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Soc majors? How would you categorize them? Do you find Sociology intersting? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaydenJ View Post
What are your thoughts on Soc majors? How would you categorize them? Do you find Sociology intersting? If so, why?
Sociology is a wonderful way to starve to death or live on a minimum wage starbucks job.

But if your family is wealthy, and you are set for life on a trust fund, then I say go for it!

It's like the MBA's of which there are millions and millions running around the country all looking for jobs right now. There is a need for some, having a few would make them very valuable, but colleges and universities overdid it by pumping out MBA's by the gazillion making them nearly worthless.

Find something you would enjoy doing where there is a shortage of qualified people and go for it.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM

251 posts, read 767,483 times
i had a roommate who is a sociology major. to me, it's an interesting subject.

it's a social science, but it overlaps with other disciplines. you can focus on different things dealing with sociology like culture, psychology, geography, etc... pretty much anything.

it's a subject that's broad, but if you're creative enough -- you can apply it to other things too.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I've only taken one sociology class, but I found it to be very interesting. I wish I would have picked it up as a second major rather than psych. I have a friend that just finished his ph d. It's one of the longest, time wise, academic routes a person can take from what I understand.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Sociology is very interesting..

The great thing about sociology is that you can pair it with just about any other major and it will still be relevant.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
I was a Sociology minor way back when. It's interdisciplinary, and actually pretty interesting. I like Sociology better than Psychology. You might want to consider Social Work instead. It has a lot of the Sociological principles but with a practical-what-can-you do approach to it.

One of my favorite Sociology stories relates to a professor's young daughter (about age 7). We were introduced, and she eyed me suspiciously. She then proceeds to ask me if I was a Sociologist, because she hated Sociology, but most of all she hated Sociologists. (Her mother/professor was mortified!)

I told that that I wasn't a Sociologist, only a Sociology student, and that I hated Sociology sometimes too. (I added that I liked her mom, and truly did.). The child announces that she liked me, and that she would help me in my studies by drawing a picture of society and that would be all I needed to understand Sociology. Her drawing was like a group of cells, all similar, but a llittle different, with a center core (nucleus), some didn't fit perfectly together, others did. The kid did have a pretty good idea what Sociology was about!!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:50 PM

242 posts, read 788,634 times
I think sociology is best when paired with something else. My niece is majoring in criminal justice and minoring in sociology. My sociology teacher was a great influence on my life.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Principles of Sociology was probably my favorite class in college of the gen ed electives that I took and did not incorporate into a major or minor. If I'd had time/room/money to have three majors, Soc would have been one of them. Fantastically interesting stuff. I've always been interested in cultural frameworks and norms, different unconventional groups/subsets of society, why various branches of society evolve as they do, etc. Studying psychology was fine, too, but I was always more interested in how external factors played a role in who people develop into.

The OP also sounds like a research question somebody studying sociology would ask.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Yale Sociology » Elijah Anderson I would just like to stand in the classroom where he has taught.

I had a lot of Soc classes and I found them invaluable, sometimes not by the material we were covering but rather the books that they turned me on to. Elijah Anderson, Code of the Street. Patricia O'Brian's Making it in the "Free World".

I think that if one is working with the public that sociology is important. I especially like the addition of narratives. I understand the need for caution in that area due to editing. However, there seems to be less anonymity.

I was told that the vast majority of Soc majors would be picked up for marketing. I have never categorized Soc majors one way or the other.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:17 PM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
As a college student, I loved the material and would have added sociology as another minor if time had allowed.

As an adult, I would refuse to pay my child's tuition if they tried to major in it. Get a degree that will pay the bills- go back to school and study sociology as part of an active retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities