Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 09:52 PM

454 posts, read 793,282 times

Advertisements

As much as I've enjoyed getting my hackles raised here on CD, the amount of time spent here could be put to better use. I have BS and part of a Masters, but have always regretted not doing more math in college. I'd love to go ip to diff. Eq., but would probably need to brush up on my algebra & geometry first. (went up to calc II in college, but that was years ago.)

Google seems to bomb me with places like U phoenix, which is horriblyoverpriced to me. I have kids, so online would work better.

Any ideas on where to start? My state doesn't seem to have a single portal for online courses.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,690,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
As much as I've enjoyed getting my hackles raised here on CD, the amount of time spent here could be put to better use. I have BS and part of a Masters, but have always regretted not doing more math in college. I'd love to go ip to diff. Eq., but would probably need to brush up on my algebra & geometry first. (went up to calc II in college, but that was years ago.)

Google seems to bomb me with places like U phoenix, which is horriblyoverpriced to me. I have kids, so online would work better.

Any ideas on where to start? My state doesn't seem to have a single portal for online courses.

Thanks in advance!
What would you like to study? Their are numerous state school options, but they will vary depending on the degree you're pursuing.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 AM

Well, I still hold out hope of a Masters in Info Tech or Project Management. What I'd like to do though is test the waters with a few math courses & prob. A college writing seminar. I'm soooo old they've changed the citation style. :-|

So essentially a non-matric math through 3rd semester.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:08 AM

4,928 posts, read 10,593,273 times
UTAustin has some distance learning courses that are challenging.
Online College Credit Courses Overview :: University Extension, The University of Texas at Austin
You basically buy all of the course materials and are given a syllabus to follow. You have to hand in all assignments on time either via mail or e-mail, and you test locally (they have pre-apporved venues depending on where you are located.) It is basically a regular course without lectures. Just pick something that you are already fairly strong in b/c the courses are difficult and help from the instuctor is going to be minimal.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,301,970 times
U of Cincinnati - Health Information Technology (EMR a part of this) Huge push for this field, esp with Obama's Health Care agenda

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
U of Cincinnati - Health Information Technology (EMR a part of this) Huge push for this field, esp with Obama's Health Care agenda

Woot! This is something I have been turning over int mind - how to transfer skills. This program looks perfect! Thank you so much!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,828,358 times
Hate to tell you this but if you want to, "brush" up on those skills you don't need to take a class. Just go to the local library and check out the books for free. That'll save you a couple thousand at least.

Remember, college is very expensive these days and it should only be used as a means to an end (ie. getting a job, changing career fields, promotion etc.). Going to college just for the hell of it - overrated.

Likewise, since college is a big investment don't just wing it and listen to the advertising. Do some research on what is considered a good school and what is not considered a good school. Here is the basics: If it is a for-profit university then it is a waste. Your degree is only worth what others think it is worth. The general trend is that for-profit degree = diploma mill AKA worth nothing. Stick to state schools or private schools (with decent reputation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities