Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

It seems that a lot of younger (say 20~30) people I know (directly or indirectly) are not doing particularly well after college. So, for those of you that have graduated in the last 5 years or so how are you doing?

The job market has been weak almost this entire decade, in fact we are almost to the point where a big fat 0 jobs have been created over the last 10 years. To make matters worse the baby boomers seem to be delaying retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
I graduated from dental school in 2006 and so far I'm doing great. I know quite a number of older dentists that want to retire, go into dentistry and buy their practices, you'll do just fine, better than most other career fields.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:02 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
It seems that a lot of younger (say 20~30) people I know (directly or indirectly) are not doing particularly well after college. So, for those of you that have graduated in the last 5 years or so how are you doing?

The job market has been weak almost this entire decade, in fact we are almost to the point where a big fat 0 jobs have been created over the last 10 years. To make matters worse the baby boomers seem to be delaying retirement.
You are correct in this. I know many newly graduated teachers who are trying to find teaching positions but the baby boomers who are tenured and who's earning which have surpassed the salary caps their school districts established are not retiring. In fact a number of my friends who are not tenured and recent graduates have lost their jobs while teachers in their 60's have kept theirs. To make matters worse many school systems are cutting positions instead of creating them.

I have been working as a substitute teacher for two years now. I get called upon for long term temporary positions with out any sort of benefits. It is becoming common that the most of the substitute teachers in NYC are holders of master’s degree in education, which once upon a time was guarantee of a teaching position. From my own experience I know this to be true. Every day I am concerned about paying back my college student loan. I am on my second loan forbearance because substitute work is not always steady and finding summer work this year has been impossible.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I graduated from dental school in 2006 and so far I'm doing great.
Thats good, I don't think I know anybody that went to dental school. Speaking of dental school, I seriously need to get to the dentist!

I suppose an aging population will increase demand for things like dental work.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,760,963 times
My sister and I graduated with a BSc in Civil Engineer from Cal Poly in 2007. She is currently working at a water district and me at a wastewater treatment plant, both as a Civil Engineer.
After two years into CivE gig, let's just say we are VERY fortunate to have such a good paying job compared to our friends....
Can't tell you how much I'm making, but last year we weren't qualified for the US stimulus check. I could only give all recognition up to God!

I'm hoping to be doing MPP w/ Civil Infrastructure specialization part time next year, in hopes to become a policy analyst or gov't consultant or UN type of work, or the likes...

Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
You are correct in this. I know many newly graduated teachers who are trying to find teaching positions but the baby boomers who are tenured and who's earning which have surpassed the salary caps their school districts established are not retiring. In fact a number of my friends who are not tenured and recent graduates have lost their jobs while teachers in their 60's have kept theirs. To make matters worse many school systems are cutting positions instead of creating them.

I have been working as a substitute teacher for two years now. I get called upon for long term temporary positions with out any sort of benefits. It is becoming common that the most of the substitute teachers in NYC are holders of master’s degree in education, which once upon a time was guarantee of a teaching position. From my own experience I know this to be true. Every day I am concerned about paying back my college student loan. I am on my second loan forbearance because substitute work is not always steady and finding summer work this year has been impossible.
Let me guess....you have a degree in elementary education. I am out of work teacher myself. I find the elementary job market TOUGH. I have even interviewed with charter schools that have 60 applications per position. To make matters worse it seems like baby boomers are now working until they are at least 70.

I think it really depends on what your degree is in. There are some who will be fortunate enough to find a job right after college.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Been in the full-time workforce for ten years (10-year college reunion this fall)...haven't had a problem getting or keeping jobs of my choosing in all that time.

Started out working in social services for an urban nonprofit following graduating from undergrad, left that after two years to try my hand at community journalism, which was a gig I held onto for nearly seven years. Met a guy and moved to be with him, so left the newspaper trade for greener pastures, and had a brief stint (six months or so) as a legal assistant, didn't enjoy it at all, quit when I got a job in education, which is actually the field I originally studied in tandem with my major. Loving it. Needless to day, my English degree has served me well. Went to work right out of school in 1999, been working without gap ever since.

My sister, however, graduated in the last five years, and has been managing a coffee chain for a little over a year, now, all the while applying for the few jobs in her field (event planning) that come up. However, she did actually have a solid job in her field for several years after graduating that was a great resume builder, but she chose to leave it because it was in a very small town, and she wanted to do the same thing in an urban area. However, she picked a bad time to leave a solid job without a replacement job in hand, and she knows that, now. It's not so much her course of study causing the problem as it is a poor economy and a poor career move on her part.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Been in the full-time workforce for ten years (10-year college reunion this fall)...haven't had a problem getting or keeping jobs of my choosing in all that time.
People that graduated 10+ years ago seem to be doing better. The job market seems to have gotten worse and worse as the decade progressed.

Anyhow, most the people I know have work, they just are not doing particularly well. The only ones doing well are the ones with degrees that offer a more direct career path. But this makes sense, as the employment market becomes over supplied with labor employers can get a lot more picky about who they hire.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 AM

314 posts, read 935,674 times
I graduated with my B.S. in Chemistry in 2006, got a good paying job after graduation. Just graduated with my Masters in Microbiology and I am doing just fine. I cannot emphasize enough, you have to do your research before choosing a major. I make an excellent salary. But alot of my friends who majored in teaching are especially having it hard. I know a few out of work registered nurses.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
"I know many newly graduated teachers who are trying to find teaching positions but the baby boomers who are tenured and who's earning which have surpassed the salary caps their school districts established are not retiring. In fact a number of my friends who are not tenured and recent graduates have lost their jobs while teachers in their 60's have kept theirs. To make matters worse many school systems are cutting positions instead of creating them."

This is the way it was 30 years ago when i decided against becoming a teacher for this reason. Dumb move on my part - a few years later, our state then decided to enact a buyout program of the older teachers 55+ so they could leave will full pension at this age.... now here, teaching is a sweet deal and it pays really well here too. I would not say getting a teaching degree is a bad thing ever.

Although you are right about the budget cuts in most areas now. But that is not just teachers. It is also administrative level around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities