Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Finally Washington Montly does a survey every year or two on the colleges that do the most for our country - sort of a different tack

"The Washington Monthly College Guide " by The Editors

I can't find this year's but they don't seem to change much.
I looked at their rankings, and I think their system is as flawed as US News'. For example, Penn State is ranked #6 among national universities, ahead of the University of Illinois (#13). However:
Quote:
http://thorsteinveblen.blogspot.com/...deal-with.html (broken link)

Quote:
No one has ever won a Nobel Prize while serving on the Penn State faculty. No one who has served on the Penn State faculty has won a Nobel Prize after leaving Penn State.

There's more in that article, such as no one with an advanced degree from Penn State has ever won a NP.
while

Quote:
University of Illinois | College of Law | News ArticlesUniversity of Illinois boasts 23 Nobel Prize & 19 Pulitzer Prize winners. A world-class university - Since its founding in 1867, the University of Illinois ...
University of Illinois | College of Law | News Articles... - Cached - Similar
Penn State-University Park is always rated as difficult to be admitted to b/c they have these "Commonwealth Campuses" throughout the state, where many students are admitted to attend their first two years. Some even have master's programs. They are glorified community colleges. My dad taught at the Beaver Campus as a retirement job, with an MS in Engineering and NO teaching experience whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM

80 posts, read 156,011 times
Universities like Florida are known regionally and not abroad such as Berkeley or UCLA. University of Florida has somewhat of a low acceptance rate of 30% - 40%.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
katiana READ CAREFULLY _ Those ratings are based on WHAT THE UNIVERSITIES DO FOR THE COUNTRY not the normal which is best to attend. I put that link in there because it was a different approach. Hmm......

Black- Florida has a great acceptance rate if you're a criminal- there have been 21 arrests of football players over the past 4 years. Maybe the 30-40% means is for non -crim types who can't play sports.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
Quote:
Penn - UNC is not the best school in the south- Virginia and Texas are.

"try to get into Florida or UGA" gee why would I ever do that? I did get accepted to U GA law school and was even encouraged to take a Dean Rusk scholarship but it wasn't a top choice. They were really nice to me though.

One of the things you don't seem to understand is the class size and quality of student teacher interaction. My son may go to Univ of Texas. His friends will probably attend and its cheap. He scored perfect in many of TAKS tests and his SATs are right at 2000. He could also go to Harvard or Georgetown ( he won the state bar journalism award + many more such things). I look at Texas as a huge factory - for law it has 500 students. Indiana had classes with 30 students, although both were good schools UT was ranked higher - but at which would one get a better education? Teachers know you at a small school and you get individual attention ( which one might not want lol).

The Big Ten is good from top to bottom - I don't look at Indiana as being near the bottom -its just smaller and in a small quiet place instead of a major metro. The same with Iowa- great school.

You may look down your nose at Criminal Justice or Criminology but the country needs better and smarter law enforement solutions more than it needs "sociologists, antropologists " and many other majors. There is also a real market for this major and believe it or not - there are people who go to college to obtain a job or career.

How do you know I don't understand class size and student/teacher interaction? I am, after all, a teacher. I teach high school math and sciences (well, I can teach them, I am a dad for right now).

You don't understand the distinction between undergrad admissions and graduate school admissions.

When you're dealing with the elite public universities, ggetting accepted out of state is a very tough feat. What's one thing that California, Florida, Texas, and Georgia have in common?

An education is what you make of it. My dad went to a state schools and that didn't hinder his getting accepted to the best med school in the country.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
katiana READ CAREFULLY _ Those ratings are based on WHAT THE UNIVERSITIES DO FOR THE COUNTRY not the normal which is best to attend. I put that link in there because it was a different approach. Hmm......

Black- Florida has a great acceptance rate if you're a criminal- there have been 21 arrests of football players over the past 4 years. Maybe the 30-40% means is for non -crim types who can't play sports.
Well, OK, but how do they evaluate that? Both U of I and Penn State have county extension services that have master gardener programs, etc. I probably need to read the article more closely (last night I was pretty brain-dead from work).

Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Florida is not all about sports. Of course 30%- 40% is for the "non-so-called criminal". I don't know what you are getting at "if you are a criminal". UF is a very respected university in its academics. It's a top tier in-state university along with FSU and UM and, also, a cheap flagship school. Not everybody plays sports. Football players are football players. They are generally accepted for their talents and they are sub par among the average accepted students, not always the case.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:42 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,713 times
Quote:

Your comments about Univ. of Florida are way off. UF is extremely difficult to get accepted to. It is the 3rd largest university by student population in the country. It has been included among the top schools in various university ranking publications including 2nd best value in public education, 8th best place to work in academia, 12th in new national merit scholars enrolled, 49th among all colleges and universities in the country, freshman retention rate of 94% is among the top 10 universities in AAU, top 5 universities to transfer biotechnology to the marketplace and more. Of the more than 51,000 students at UF, criminal football players are a miniscule %. You sound like your team got beat by UF football somewhere back in time.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
I was wrong when I said 21 players arrested - it was 22 LOL

A Full Lineup: 22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime | Bleacher Report

Florida may be an ok school overall as most major state universities are at least decent, but as you are from the state of Florida- doesn't this article bother you? They also spend, along with Texas and OSU the most on football. Where are their priorities? If Cal - Berkeley even spent a fraction of that, they could at least say -we've done the best we could academically FIRST but this doesn't work for Florida. Cal still manages to go to bowl games almost each year but they do it cheaply and sports comes after academics.

No, Florida never played any schools I was interested in - I like the Pac 10 and Big Ten, where academics count.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 PM

157 posts, read 493,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
OSU/Miami
Since when Miama is a good school?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 PM

It honestly doesn't bother me one bit. Like I said, football players are football players. Even if it's under Meyers or any other coaches, each student is accountable for their own actions. I don't care for FSU, but their whole team cheated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities