U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 10,873 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and normally would not just jump into asking for advice when I haven't been a standing presence within the forums, but I'm kind of asking for some last-minute help here.

I was in the Baylor University Neuroscience program last Fall, but had to leave, due partially to the cost of attendance. I spent last Spring at Sam, building up the last of my basic credit hours, and reapplied to Baylor, as well as to the University of Texas at Dallas, two of the only schools within the state offering an undergraduate degree in Neuroscience. I know that Trinity University offers the degree as well, however I did not apply to the school, as the cost of attendance is even higher than Baylor's.

I've been accepted to both, but have been hesitant to make a decision regarding which one to attend. I know that Baylor has a reputable Neuro program, as well as a wonderful campus with other great programs. But I also know of the high cost of attendance, now having spent a semester there.

On the other hand, I know, and have heard very little of UT Dallas' neuro and cognitive science programs, especially at the undergraduate level. Still, University of Texas at Dallas is much cheaper than Baylor University, even with my scholarship to Baylor.

So it comes down to my continual search for information on UT Dallas' neuro program.

I come to you asking for any information regarding UT Dallas' reputation and that of its neuroscience and cognitive sciences programs. Additionally, I am open to all helpful opinions regarding either school.

Also, as an additional note, I am unsure as to whether I want to go into a medical program or into research and teaching, though the decision is slowly being made for me, haha. So if your opinions are based on either future, please feel free to share.

Tahnk you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 PM

141 posts, read 386,407 times
You're going to make way more money if you go into a medical program. If you became a neurosurgeon, you'd be making disgusting, disgusting amounts of moolah.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 PM

5,748 posts, read 8,343,292 times
I hated living in Waco!!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 26,599 times
I hope this helps... I'm currently a graduate student in Baylor's Department of Psychology and Neuroscience. I particularly study electrophysiology and pharmacology. In saying this and all that follows, acknowledge my biases... Two years ago when I was looking for a graduate school, I applied both to UTDallas and Baylor University and Waco. Because this was for a PhD rather than a BA, I believe I must have looked into each school with more intensity than you may have. Interestingly, after I looked into these and chose Baylor, one of my frat brothers from undergrad, also a psychology major, chose to go to UTD's neuroscience graduate program. Although these are not identical to the undergraduate degrees you are looking at, they are similar and as graduate students, we have much more insight to what the degree offers you at each school. First of all, Baylor is more prestigious, ranking much higher than UTD in each existing poll. This is most definitely due to the faculty employed there. When ranking and deciding the quality of a program, the teachers are called into question. When doing this, their success in research and publications are surveyed. Baylor has no deficit in boasting high publications in reputable journals. One of our statisticians alone is worthy of mention. Dr. Kirk, a GIANT in his field, is known globally for his knowledge of ANOVA and taking his class simply makes you more marketable in your career. Beyond this, each professor has some extensive publication history in their respective labs. This does not negate UTD's faculty, however, as one of the professors there is nationally known for her research in facial recognition. As I mentioned earlier, my buddy from undergrad is currently enrolled at UTD, and we talk often about what our individual programs are offering us. It is because of this that I think I can offer this advice. Think about what it is you want to do most. UTD is much more practical, teaching MRI reading skills and such, while Baylor is much more theoretical. Understand, however, that the practical teachings of UTD are not necessarily gearing you directly toward medical school, but more than likely to a technical position within the medical community. Probably 80% of Baylor's neuroscience students apply to medical school and most are quite successful in doing so. Baylor's program is geared to directing students to either a PhD or an MD. Having earned a Bachelors in psychology myself at another school... I am often jealous at the training and abilities offered to Baylor's undergrads. It seems that UTD's program is more successful at gearing undergrads to a practical, terminal master's degree. Another thing that is important to mention as well is this: a lot of undergraduates hoping to earn a doctoral degree do not understand the importance of research experience. Whether you hope to go into med school or into research, you should volunteer in one of your professor's labs, getting whatever experience you can at research. This makes you exceptionally competitive when applying for med school or grad school. This being said, look into the faculty directly at each school and find some research that you are interested in. Doing this is not enough however, as you will want to engage yourself with the professor you are interested in. With all of this being said, realize that there is much more that can be discussed in favor of each program. But, keep in mind the age old adage that holds much truth... "you get what you pay for".

Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 26,599 times
oh... and don't pay much attention to the naysayers of research. True, on average, an MD makes more money than a PhD, but this does not mean that MD's make more money on all accounts. If you know what you are doing and are successful at research, you can make millions... not to mention the medical community is incredibly exhausting and draining, and not for everyone.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 601,476 times
UT Austin offers a neurobiology concentration within the BS in Biology.

http://www.biosci.utexas.edu/docs/ch...euro_06-08.pdf

http://www.biosci.utexas.edu/student...e/degrees.aspx

Certainly this degree will have more national recognition than UT Dallas or Baylor just by default since UT is a so-called Public Ivy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities