Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 AM

141 posts, read 427,855 times

Advertisements

So I am trying to declare a major...

I have taken a lot of paralegal classes, as I was going to declare that as a minor. I haven't declared it as a major as I was thinking that many get hired with an associate's degree, so I think possibly I could hired as a paralegal with it as a minor? Also, it isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life, though I would like to be a paralegal when I graduate.

My ultimate goal is to go to law school, though I need a "fallback" in case that doesn't happen (for example, an art history major isn't going to cut it if I don't go on to school after my BA.)

I was thinking of doing accounting as a major, with paralegal as a minor, but I am wondering if it would be too difficult to study for both the CPA and LSAT and paralegal exams at the same time.

What about majoring in communications with a minor in paralegal? Do you think that would help me get jobs, or no.

Any advice? Any reccomendations of recession-proof majors (that aren't nursing)?

Last edited by treat; 08-04-2009 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
Well, you need to ask yourself what do you want to do?

And don't let the recession scare you from getting the major you want.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:42 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
what is in your blood? In your heart? Something you are willing to fight for? Compete for? Have the confidence for?

Accounting and actuarial science are good fall backs. Library Science. Pharmacology?

Less keen on paralegal or any degree which is a limited pre-professional degree.

S.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,760,963 times
Quote:
And don't let the recession scare you from getting the major you want.
Recession? I thought we're in a depression?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
Go into Biology or something science-related and then go into dentistry, that's what I do. Dental school was 10x harder than undergrad but it was sure worth it at the end. Now I'm just living the dream!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Recession? I thought we're in a depression?
Media gets a kick out of this. There are still people working. It's nowhere as bad as it was during the Great Depression.

And places like Michigan with 15% unemployment doesn't surprise me seeing as how the Big 3 are there and how they had to cut so many jobs.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I wouldn't do paralegal as a degree or as a minor. Too limiting. If you're thinking law school I wouldn't do communications, either; admittedly I'm not the law field and don't sit on admissions committees, but communications sometimes has a reputation (and I'm not commenting on whether this is fair or not) as a little lightweight. I was a history major as an undergraduate, and a lot of my fellow majors went on to law school.

Accounting sounds like a useful degree. If you also have a love for art history, to use your example, then go ahead and pursue a double major or a minor in that subject, too. It could help set you apart from the crowd.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Go into Biology or something science-related and then go into dentistry, that's what I do. Dental school was 10x harder than undergrad but it was sure worth it at the end. Now I'm just living the dream!
yeah, I know, I just paid one of your cohorts $2.900 for a grand total of 8 hours work for two root canals and crowns. I don't care, I was in so much pain the dentist could have emptied my bank account if he had wanted to.

I might be over 60 but I still have all of my own teeth.

Engineering outside of computers is also a good one.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Law is about reading and writing well. Focus on something that teaches you to read closely and write clearly: English, history or philosophy. Any of those would give you a good background for general law.

Math or economics would be good for certain types of corporate law, accounting is good for tax law. A minor in acting would be useful if you want to go into litigation.

In my law firm there are people with all sorts of backgrounds. I know a partner who has a PhD in nuclear physics. A number of people an MBA an well as a JD. There's no one path.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
If you really want to go to law school my advice would be to major in something legitimate (i.e. not basket weaving.) that you will do well in grade-wise. GPA is very important when applying to law school, second only to LSAT scores, and without a reasonably high GPA (3.25 or preferably higher) you will have slim pickings as to what schools you could reasonably get into.

Essentially if you really want to be a lawyer majoring in something legitimate that will get you a 3.5 GPA is much more desirable then majoring in something that might be considered a more useful major, but only leaves you with a 3.0 or lower GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities