U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,761,090 times

Advertisements

I was gonna sell them at amazon, but they wanted 12 bucks commision for a 70 buck book. I still did it to see how it's working out.
Anybdoy knwos of a better place? they want too much money....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 PM

1,917 posts, read 4,181,973 times
Ebay?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,341,255 times
Try betterworldbooks.com. Go to the buyback page. You put the ISBN #s down and they instantly give you an amount they will give you for them. I don't know if the prices are good or not, but its worth a try.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,544,561 times
Do you have non-official campus textbook stores near you? They often give a better price than the official campus bookstore. It still may not be the absolute best price available, but at least you'll walk out the door with cash and not have to deal with shipping them yourself.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,754,509 times
I usually head to the local textbook stores.... but that's never guaranteed. Walked in with 8 books today, and only ONE qualified for buyback, at $20 (a book they sell for $100 used). Disgusted me.

I would suggest Half.com but only because that's where I am BUYING a lot of my books this semester.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Craigslist!! If your book is currently in use in local colleges / universities, you can do well. Pick a price somewhere between what a bookstore will give you for buy back, and what the bookstore is selling theirs for. It takes more time but it's a win-win for buyer and seller both.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,054,299 times
if the course is still using the same book in the fall, I would just hang onto them for a few more weeks then sell them to the next class. check to see if your school has some type of online bulletin board where students can post items for sale

Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 PM

8,184 posts, read 21,531,276 times
I agree with eevee; selling your books, if possible, to other students is the best way to go. You don't have to deal with the hassles of an on-line auction or the waiting that often happens on the other sites.

eBay can be good, or it can be lame. Put the book(s) up for auction and there is always the chance that they will sell for (way) less than you had hoped. Have a Buy it Now or reserve price that is too high and it might discourage people from buying. It basically all boils down to how badly someone wants the particular book.

Half is great for buying textbooks, but lame for selling. First of all, you do not get to choose your postage, so things like packing materials and how you will actually ship the book are not factored into the shipping cost and is out of your control. It's nice that you get to set your own price, but generally you will have to wait until (most) of the cheaper priced books sell first before someone buys your copy. And let's not forget that it can take a long time before someone buys the book, which can be a hassle on your part if it has been awhile and no-one has bought your book so you decide to do some Spring cleaning and move the book into the back corner of the garage, behind a bunch of other stuff, and then one day you receive an email from Half that someone bought the book, but you can't remember which box of junk contains the book, or if maybe you donated it to Goodwill?

I would say that the biggest downfall to Half is the payment, though. Sell a book today and receive payment for it in a month.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,042,662 times
Craigslist...

Or (if your school doesn't already have one) set up a facebook page for 'book exchange' at your school...add all your friends, tell them to do the same..it will spread like wildfire...selling books to other students at your school is the best way to get the most for your books...Where a bookstore might give you 20% of the used price, a student will usually give you 70-110% of the "used" price based on the condition of your books...

Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,761,090 times
Thanks guys.

As someone already said, sometimes you gotta go to a million book stores cause they just won't take your books ( or only one ). I don't really want to waste that much gas.

I tried betterworldbooks.com , but they only want to give me 27 Dollars lol The book itself it 110 and the used books sell for 70 bucks .

Perhaps I really have to go to all the bookstores. But non college bookstores shouldn't be interested that much in college textbooks...? I thought people usually go to the college bookstores to buy them, but they give you just a fraction of the book's value also.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM

12,410 posts, read 26,737,403 times
I've used half.com to sell my kids textbooks. I like it because you can choose a price that you think will sell, no listing to make up, and if you've sold stuff before on e-bay you can use that account and you'll have that seller reputation. Once your books sell, you ship it book rate from the post office and your money is deposited in your paypal account.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities