Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM

79 posts, read 178,254 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a college student. I changed my major twice, and I want to change it again. I found a difficulty to choose it ( major)
what do you think are the best major?
N.B I don't like the jobs related to hospitals.
Appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:50 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,192 times
What's your passion? The best major is something that can be flexible and in-demand enough for the real world...and that you can stand. Just get through college with something half-decent and make sure you have something lined up that you love. Most people in the real world don't ask what your major was anyway...half the time what you learned in class doesn't even apply to your job. It just opens doors. So be sure to get a door-opener.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM

524 posts, read 942,113 times
You can get a degree in underwater basket weaving and it would not matter! Some employers just want to know that you did more out of high school. (Unless the position you are applying for is degree specific.)

You can speed through the college process with a degree...

You can go to a tech school like ITT or Devry and get a certification and then find a university that will give you credits for that education and certification. Then CLEP out of anything that you do not want to take or that will get you a degree quicker.

I am just using the tech field as an example... it works for medical, law enforcement, even legal degrees. Almost any field that you can think of you can do this type of thing.

Search for rapid degree programs! CLEP out of your basics so when you find something that you like... you can jump right into the field!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilya View Post
Hello,
I am a college student. I changed my major twice, and I want to change it again. I found a difficulty to choose it ( major)
what do you think are the best major?
N.B I don't like the jobs related to hospitals.
Appreciate.

What majors have you had and why are you changing?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 PM

79 posts, read 178,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
What majors have you had and why are you changing?
the first time MLT and after ADN
I changed my major because I don't like the jobs related to hospitals ....

Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
I have no clue what that is? What do you hate about hospitals? What do you like?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
well, what DO you like?? seriously, that is the first step. forget about getting a degree that will land you a job w/ a salary of $50k/yr right out of college, forget about all those lists online that state the 10 best jobs, or the 10 highest paying jobs, or whatever. too many people are picking majors based solely on what can get you hired the quickest and what pays the most. don't get me wrong, bills need to be paid and you need to make a wise decision about your job options w/ a particular degree, but if you can't stick w/ a major and graduate, it won't matter what entry level job pays the most.

too many people, including some posters here on this general forum, are in the "forget about majoring in something you like, major in something that will get you a job" category. fact of the matter is that ANY 4 year degree gets your foot in the door, especially if you don't get so hung up about working w/in your major (not many people accomplish this right out of college!). it's been said a thousand times throughout the years, "make your vacation your vocation", yet people still force themselves into careers they know they'll dislike just to get a higher paycheck, or more prestige

in my family, there's huge pressure to go into either the medical or education field. I started out as a pre-vet major, switched to nursing, then just dropped out of school altogether. one reason was that, while I like science, I despise math, and just can't work in a hospital setting (I'm FAR too sensitive, I'd cry every single day working w/ sick people! I volunteered at an animal hospital and just couldn't do it). now I'm a writing major because, even though I know I won't be making 6 digits in my lifetime (unless I write the Next Great American Novel), I enjoy writing, even more so than working w/ animals (and much more than working w/ sick people!)

make a list of all the things you like. it can be ANYTHING: favorite hobbies, TV shows, clothes, vacation ideas, whatever. see if anything on that list can be twisted into a possible career option. go to a community college or some other adult education place and take an aptitude test that lays out where your skills are and even gives you ideas on career options (funny enough, my aptitude test, taken while still in high school, showed i was a creative person and the top career option was writer followed by biologist). folks here can give you advice, but w/o knowing what YOU'D like to do, that advice will be rather worthless

Last edited by eevee; 11-12-2008 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-16-2008, 12:24 AM

116 posts, read 331,856 times
"Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time." ~Pablo Picasso

Find your passion. The world already has too many people in it who work just to work and find no pleasure in it. Why, when we could all follow our true passions and be happy?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
So you are in a two year college? Do you like health care, just not hands on?

Have you considered getting RHIT certification? You could probably apply some of your credits already earned to that program.

RHIT is Registered Health Information Technician. It is usually a 2-yr program titled Health Information Technology.

Another option in the 2 yr program selection could be Health Care Administration/Medical Office Manager. This would teach you to do office work and management in places such as doctor's offices. Again, no hands on patient care - of course you will have to talk to patients.

Depending on where you live, you could also make use of a Biotechnology 2 year degree. You would have a little experience from your MLT studies, but instead of blood draws and hospital related lab work, you would be working more in research.

If you are looking to get away from health altogether, I would suggest talking to career services at your school to find out what the most successful and popular majors are, besides Nursing.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
One big key to college is the ability to finish something without supervision. It shows you can complete something on your own. Get a degree in some field you can tolerate, and find a juob. Once your in the work world, other opportunities will become clearer to you and you may want to focus on those. i.e. Dont be a 10 year undergrad student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities