Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:04 AM

45 posts, read 32,344 times

Advertisements

I currently attend the Univ. of Albany in computer science as a sophomore.
I've got 3.98/4.00 so far and mostly took major courses, math and science classes.

I'm planning on transferring to SBU for the fall semester 2020.
I'm sorta worried cuz I heard that it's hard to get accepted in their computer science major.
Is that really hard??

cf) I'll apply for transfer as an international applicant. I don't have any scores: SAT, TOEFL or ACT and graduated from my high school in my country, South Korea. However, already having taken a particular English course at Univ. of Albany, a SBU's advisor told me that I'd be exempt from their English proficiency requirement, which means that I don't need to submit any English test score such as TOEFL, IELTS and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Call the admissions department. They should be able to give you better guidance than this forum.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriChoi View Post
I currently attend the Univ. of Albany in computer science as a sophomore.
I've got 3.98/4.00 so far and mostly took major courses, math and science classes.

I'm planning on transferring to SBU for the fall semester 2020.
I'm sorta worried cuz I heard that it's hard to get accepted in their computer science major.
Is that really hard??

cf) I'll apply for transfer as an international applicant. I don't have any scores: SAT, TOEFL or ACT and graduated from my high school in my country, South Korea. However, already having taken a particular English course at Univ. of Albany, a SBU's advisor told me that I'd be exempt from their English proficiency requirement, which means that I don't need to submit any English test score such as TOEFL, IELTS and stuff.

I'm a Stony Brook University graduate, and former employee. SBU is more competitive than University at Albany.

However, I really think that with your GPA, you should have few problems.

The whole university is competitive, not only that department. There is no "easy" department or school at SBU. That said, I would not worry too much.

The DEC requirements will be the same as those at Albany. You will not only take computer science classes, your courses will include art, social science, English literature, history, area studies and many courses that are writing intensive. You will be doing LOTS of writing and reading.

I've seen STEM students expect that liberal arts courses will be "easy" and face a rude awakening.

Best of luck, and do let us know if and when you are accepted!

Go Sea Wolves!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM

341 posts, read 285,015 times
The college you attend isn't as important for STEM as it is for something like business or law, where connections you make in the college associations and fraternities can be helpful. STEM is more objective. Either you know it or you don't. Of course MIT and Cal State Nowhere are going to be viewed differently for a STEM but not as much as a Stanford vs a Cal State Nowhere for Law or Business.
Also, for STEM, it's probably not worth spending a lot of money for college. Your starting pay might be slightly higher but the amount you save and invest from NOT attending an expensive will easily compensate for the extra salary from a higher tier school.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
The college you attend isn't as important for STEM as it is for something like business or law, where connections you make in the college associations and fraternities can be helpful. STEM is more objective. Either you know it or you don't. Of course MIT and Cal State Nowhere are going to be viewed differently for a STEM but not as much as a Stanford vs a Cal State Nowhere for Law or Business.
Also, for STEM, it's probably not worth spending a lot of money for college. Your starting pay might be slightly higher but the amount you save and invest from NOT attending an expensive will easily compensate for the extra salary from a higher tier school.
Disagree. First of all STEM is a very broad term. Majoring in math is not the same as majoring in computer science. And what kind of computer science? That's very broad too.Security is not the same as software engineering.
Making connections through your professors and getting internships through the school is critical for your career. Working with an adviser on a senior research project will help you gain useful experience for future employment, not to mention the opportunity to learn how to apply for grants and funding.

Stony Brook is known for their computer science and engineering fields more than Albany. Good choice. The programs are competitive for SUNY, but it's SUNY, not RPI or MIT. FWIW, many students in CS at SB have similar backgrounds as the OP. OP should be fine.

The OP is an international student so he most likely will not qualify for in-state tuition. Still, SUNY out of state tuition is relatively "low." In general, the advice about saving money for college does not apply to international students like the OP. Since the OP is an international student, we don't know if he'll stay on and work in the US, all the more important for developing relationships with professors who have an international reputation.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
How about spelling it out so we can answer your question? Do you want to transfer to:

Southwest Baptist Univ.
St. Bonaventure Univ.
Stony Brook Univ.
South Bank Univ.
Shahid Beheshti Univ.

or

the Self Balancing Unicycle

??????

Old 07-12-2019, 04:08 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How about spelling it out so we can answer your question? Do you want to transfer to:

Southwest Baptist Univ.
St. Bonaventure Univ.
Stony Brook Univ.
South Bank Univ.
Shahid Beheshti Univ.

or

??????

Good point. Since the poster was speaking about a SUNY school, of which I am a graduate, I immediately figured that he was talking about Stony Brook. Especially with his STEM interest.

Also, transfer between SUNY schools is common.

I've heard of the first three. Not the others.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:

Southwest Baptist Univ.
St. Bonaventure Univ.
Stony Brook Univ.
South Bank Univ.
Shahid Beheshti Univ.

or

??????
Oh my gosh yes. I hate ambiguity. I hate acronyms. Please spell it out.

I used to be a government contractor, and every document we produced had to have an acronym appendix. That's where my hate began because we open up an entire universe of confusion when we use acronyms when you have people coming from different backgrounds, regions, education, etc.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:35 AM

45 posts, read 32,344 times
Quote:

Southwest Baptist Univ.
St. Bonaventure Univ.
Stony Brook Univ.
South Bank Univ.
Shahid Beheshti Univ.

or

??????
Thank you for pointing out.
I'm still in the middle of considering what colleges I want to transfer to.
So far, Stony Brook Univ., Georgia Tech., NYU, Binghamton Univ.
But, I'm not sure if it'd be possible to go for Georgia Tech and NYU tho.
I'll apply for transferring into Computer Science btw.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,633 times
It's true that transfer among SUNYs is fairly common. SUNY Stony Brook is better regarded then SUNY Albany, but with solid scores, you should be able to do it. Ditto for SUNY Binghamton. I would say NYU is more of a reach, and Georgia Tech is a longshot. Why don't you also consider RPI? It's a great comp sci. school (one of the best in the US) and practically in Albany. You can easily go over and check it out. I would also put it in the reach category, coming from SUNY Albany, but it's definitely possible, certainly more so than a crazy reach like Georgia Tech or even NYU. You can also consider WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). Much better than SUNY Albany, and also pretty close by so you can check it out. Well regarded. Other strong STEM/comp sci schools to consider are Case Western and University of Illinois/Urbana-Champaign (UI/UC). They would also better position you for a career in comp sci.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities