U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 AM

315 posts, read 588,984 times

Advertisements

My niece will be graduating next June from highschool and she wants to work in the hospital doing administrative work. She asked me what degree should she pursue, I told her maybe a Healthcare Administration degree? Did I tell her right or is there some other degree she should get to make her more marketable? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 AM

62 posts, read 146,890 times
Nursing. Social Work. Human Resources.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,650,251 times
It depends on what type of administrative work she wants to do. If she wants to become a hospital administrator then a masters degree in hospital administration/healthcare administration is the route to go. However, there are a number of other routes to go if she wants to specialize in a particular area such as information technology, accounting/finance, medical records administration, nursing administration, etc. It all depends on what interests she has, how high up in hospital management she wants to go, and what degrees she is willing to get. I would suggest she either find some type of hospital career day to go to or just set up some appointments with hospital management personnel in different disciplines and talk with them.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 AM

5,933 posts, read 14,953,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
Nursing. Social Work. Human Resources.
Nurses and social workers do not do hospital administrative work.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:03 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,650,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Nurses and social workers do not do hospital administrative work.
Sure they do....ever heard of a Nurse Administrator? Many hospitals(especially the larger ones) have social work departments headed up by a Director. Every hospital has a Director of Nursing type position(VP of Nursing, Nursing Administrator, Director of Nursing, etc.) whose job is primarily administrative as it relates to directing/administering the nursing functions within the hospital.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:54 PM

315 posts, read 588,984 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, she definitely does not want to do nursing anything..lol. Thanks gbone for the suggesing she talk with somebody at a hospital, that is what I was thinking, I know a few people I can have her to talk to. I am just glad she's looking ahead so she can be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities