Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get a job but that may have to wait because my schedule is very odd (all over the place) so I wouldn't really be motivated. I'd be overworked, tired, and confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM

191 posts, read 946,222 times
Agreed with the advice to get a job on campus. They're usually extremely flexible with your schedule, allow you to tailor your work hours around your class hours, and are generally easy. People can easily work at least 10 hours a week during school.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Well I have done both. In fact, there was a time when I worked two part-time jobs AND went to college full-time.

When I went back to college at the age of 28 to finish my BA, I did not work. Let me tell you; it was a night-and-day experience then when I worked! Now I don't know if it was partly because I was older...but I definitely had the time to put 110% into my classes; which was a great feeling. I got to meet with other students and my professors outside of class. To attend seminars and campus activities and the like. Even though I was 'old'; I felt so much more like a part of the college community. Contrast this to when I was working, and I always had my eye on the clock, trying to keep tabs on my work and college schedule; and then trying to find time to do my assignments as well.

One of my jobs was a work-study position; which was more convenient and accommodating with my schedule. But the pay for these jobs is almost always minimum wage...maybe a little bit above. So it just wasn't enough cash for me.

But the first time around (ages 17-20), I did not have a choice. My family had no money at all to give me. So I did what I had to do. But if you do have a choice...well...

It is a hard call to make. College is just so prohibitively expensive and every time you turn around, there is something you need to spend money on. So I agree with the sentiment that being broke is just going to make things worse (if not impossible). But I also can't deny the night & day experience between a college student that has to work (especially 15+ hours a week at some night job...like being a waitress or working in retail or something) and one who does not.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'll be commuting back and forth to county college for the upcoming school year and I'm debating whether I should get a job or not. I have a really good summer job that has allowed me to put enough away to purchase books for the first semester, and plenty left over in the savings account. That money will likely go towards gas.

But should I get a small side job for the school year just to have extra cash on hand? I wouldn't be spending it on goodies, just to pay for gas, food, and other expenses that will come up over the next several months. Or to put into savings. I'm sure its difficult to balance work and school, so I'm wondering what others' thoughts and experiences are.
Employment while in college is a double-edged sword. A job can distract you from your studies, possibly causing a lower grade. But, not working during college can prove to be detrimental in your employment search since you will have little to no actual work experience.

There are a few ways to look at this: two deal with your educational goals, and one is about your need. If you are only going to put in two years, earn an A.A. or A.S. degree, and call it quits-you can get by without work your first year, but should take a job in your second. Preferably something related to your major, but the truth is any work in any field is better than none at all. To accompany work, or as an alternative, doing an internship or volunteer work would be best.

If you plan on transferring to a four-year, then you can skip work your first two years, but should really start working in your junior year. Sounds counter intuitive since your junior and senior years are the toughest academically, but it is what employers like to see, and you will have a better opportunity at this time to work in something related to your major.

The last thing to think about is, do you even need to work? If you can survive without having to work, than that might seem appealing, and in some cases, best. Just keep in mind that when you graduate you are going to be up against applicants who have actual experience, no matter how rudimentary.

As for on-campus employment. Some campus jobs will allow you to sit on your behind and do homework, others will actually put you to work the entire time. You will also have the opportunity to work to some capacity in something relating to your major. But, there are some drawbacks to on-campus employment. For one, you probably won't make more than $8 an hour. Now, that sounds like good money if your parents or scholarships are paying tuition and dorm, but really, if you live off-campus, it is a joke. You will also be limited to how many hours you can work--usually 20 hours a week.

If you are young, you might not get paid more than $8 an hour off campus anyways, but at least you have the opportunity for raises, and can work more than 20 hours a week if need be.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'll be commuting back and forth to county college for the upcoming school year and I'm debating whether I should get a job or not. I have a really good summer job that has allowed me to put enough away to purchase books for the first semester, and plenty left over in the savings account. That money will likely go towards gas.

But should I get a small side job for the school year just to have extra cash on hand? I wouldn't be spending it on goodies, just to pay for gas, food, and other expenses that will come up over the next several months. Or to put into savings. I'm sure its difficult to balance work and school, so I'm wondering what others' thoughts and experiences are.
I had a part time job in an insurance investigation agency when I went to college the first time. When I dropped out, they offered me a full time job with them which I was happy to have. When I left the state three years later I put myself through college at night while working full time during the day. It's do-able but the hardest thing is if you have Tuesday/Thursday and Monday/Wednesday classes getting the reading done between Tuesday and Thursday and Monday and Wednesday. You need that weekend to catch up.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM

28 posts, read 173,861 times
I worked part time my first year of college while attending classes full time. It was a serious struggle for me but my situation may have been different than yours. Me and my husband were sharing a vehicle so I had to get up every morning to take him to work at 4:45 am. After that, it was getting me and my two children ready for school. School was 30 minutes away, all of ours clustered within a few miles radius. I had to drop my son off at his elementary school, then my daughter off at daycare (where I also worked), then I'd have to go to school. The daycare and my school were right next to eachother. When I'd get out of class, I'd immediately go into work and wouldn't get off until 6:30. By the time I got home it was 7 pm. and after cooking dinner, helping my son with his homework, and bathing the kids, there was very little time to do any school work and then of course you got to count in time for sleep. I was so beat that year. Finally, my little got accepted to More at 4, which is like a preschool but it's free. So at that point I was finally able to quit my job and just do my education full time. I wouldn't do it again, but it may be easier for you if you don't have a husband and children to also take care of. I know a lot of people who have done and brag that they still had time to party on the weekends. Good for them, but it just didn't work for me.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I agree that finding a job on campus is a great idea. You won't make a ton of money, but it will help. We didn't want our kids to work during the school year, but DS1 got a job working as houseboy for a sorority last year and he won't quit. It's only a couple of hours a day, during the dinner hour, basically working as a waiter and bus boy. He only makes minimum wage, but he does get fed dinner every evening and often gets to take lots of leftovers home to his roommates. Although he is not actually employed by the university, they are still very understanding about his schedule, so if he has a big exam or paper due, they are very easy to work with, and he can take off whenever he needs to. It gives him some extra spending money and as a mom I like the idea of knowing that he is at least eating one decent meal a day. Plus he has the added benefit of getting to work with all those girls, many of which are friends anyway.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
I've had some semesters where I worked, and some where I didn't. I have to say that I was much more focused and procrastinated much less when I was working. It requires a lot of self discipline and commitment to do both, which is good for some people, but not for others. See what you can find, try it, and then you'll know for yourself.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
I've had some semesters where I worked, and some where I didn't. I have to say that I was much more focused and procrastinated much less when I was working. It requires a lot of self discipline and commitment to do both, which is good for some people, but not for others. See what you can find, try it, and then you'll know for yourself.
Well said.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
. I posted this in another forum. my problem is this. my last day at my job is dec 31st. now i can either 1) collect unemployment, take my severance package(only 8 weeks of pay) and go to school fulltime(at least 4 classes per semester and knock it out hopefully in 2 years tops) or i can take a job and take classes at night. Most likely this will only be 1-2 classes tops. and take forever getting my degree. but what happens if i take this job and then get laid off again. then im back to square one. jobless with no degree. Yes its no guarantee that ill find work with a degree. but i like my chances better with that piece of paper than w/out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities