Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times

Advertisements

What changes do you think you can make to your study habits to help you improve your grade today?

Tips or tricks for your success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:55 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times
Do the work.

No, I'm not being sarcastic - a lot of people either flat-out procrastinate, or spend time drawing up intricate study timetables that they don't or can't follow. I aimed to do at least 2 hours of study every day, and if at 11pm I suddenly felt like studying, I did it. If at 3pm the next day I wanted a nap, I took it - but I told myself I had to study once I woke up.

I tried all the methods: timetables, schedules, countdowns, goal calendars...2 hours of work per day every day was the only way for me to get work done. Even if I had no homework, I tidied my study area instead.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Yeah, for me a lot of it is "just do it"!

I like to write and re-write my notes. Then read them out loud. Then hear them read. Having the info come at me in various ways helps it stick.

I also take full advantage of all the silly little offerings on publisher's websites (quizzes and such).

Of course here I am slacking off on C-D instead!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 96,861 times
U R right. Writing by longhand helps to "cement" ideas, so when a test comes up or U re-write a paper online, it's hard-wired. (Sorry, it's like it's ingrained in your head.)
I'm an oldie, taking tests is getting harder for me, but I still can do it and I am substituting again in the middle schools!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
Actually spend time studying instead of hurrying through it at the last minute trying to cram all that knowledge in my brain.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I used what I called the unholy trinity of getting an A, in which, for any given class I did at least 2 of the following 3 things:

Be engaged and actively learn in class.
Read all the material.
Study.

For me, doing at least 2 of those things insured that I received at least and A- in a class.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 08-31-2009 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Thanks everyone, I always study but find myself being distracted thus I have to cram. I vowed to not do it this time, I studied..took the practice quiz, wrote notes, knew the material.... and today I go to class and even though I knew the chapter I didnt delve deep enough and the teacher was asking questions and I felt so unprepared.

I hate that!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Thanks everyone, I always study but find myself being distracted thus I have to cram. I vowed to not do it this time, I studied..took the practice quiz, wrote notes, knew the material.... and today I go to class and even though I knew the chapter I didnt delve deep enough and the teacher was asking questions and I felt so unprepared.

I hate that!
I hear ya. I've been there and I hate it too. Some just like to throw curve balls I say! I have one prof (that I adore and have taken before) that doesn't want you to regurgitate... she wants you to think hard and come up with other stuff based on what you've learned, to think outside the box, but when she is asking questions in class it's sometimes hard to do it on the spot!

I would like to add one thing though... for me it's best to just sleep if it's a choice between sleep and study. I have tried before, cramming (or even regular studying beforehand) when sleep deprived and none of it sticks! At least if I have enough sleep I can draw logical conclusions and actually absorb what's being taught the next day!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,416 times
Monday-Friday, school is my life. Class over at 10:45 on Monday? Too bad, do your physics. Four hour gap between classes on Tuesday? Study chemistry. Class let out early? Go over bio.

I have two twelve hour days that are nonstop classes and studying. The other three days of the week, I'm there for six to eight hours a day. I make sure to pull at least 50 hours on campus per week, between classes, supplemental instruction, and independent study. I'll read, work through all the problems necessary, and go over it in study groups. Rarely do I need more than that if I'm truly focused on the material.

Friday afternoon rolls around, and I go bonkers. Party, sleep as late as I want, eat junk food, and run around like a psychopath. Sunday is recovery day, then wash, rinse, repeat.

Doesn't work for everyone, but I'm pursuing a ridiculously hard course of study and so I need to be immersed. I'm holding onto Dean's List just fine though, so I must be doing something right.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Actually studying helps, especially if their is a lot of reading. I know a lot of students who don't read the assigned reading and are able to pass the class but who clearly do not really get anything out of the class.
You should also figure out what kind of a student you are. Here is a website with a questionnaire. I took it and it had me pegged; I already do a lot of the things when I study that it suggested (I'm verbal so writing stuff down over and over helps me to remember things.)
http://www.vark-learn.com/english/pa...=questionnaire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities