U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM

965 posts, read 1,814,828 times
Default US edition of a textbook vs International Edition

I am trying to decide between the international edition of my text for Accounting or get the digital copy of the American edition.

Both are MUCH cheaper than the US edition hardcover which is over $200.

However, I'm afraid of there being some differences. The book is called Financial Accounting by Spiceland.

I could get the regular US edition, but that's just too much too spend on the book because we only meet once a week for the class and she says we'll only meet in the computer lab for the class to go over her powerpoint notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,892,494 times
There are the same. However, technically speaking those international editions are not to be legally sold in the US.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Heh, it should be illegal for them to rip us off with these expensive books, but that's another rant for another day

Why is it illegal though and how come they won't use paperback for these books rather than the more expensive hardcover?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,892,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Heh, it should be illegal for them to rip us off with these expensive books, but that's another rant for another day
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Why is it illegal though and how come they won't use paperback for these books rather than the more expensive hardcover?
1. B/C I think they would violate copyright laws, i.e. once on US soil, the copies are unauthorized (books are literally stamped with "Noe for Sale in the US"

2. Why? They are trying the maximize profits...

Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Figures on the "maximize profits" part. But yeah, thanks for the response.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,309,379 times
The international editions ARE different. The material is the same, but the practice problems (for math/science books at least) are sometimes different.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 AM

9,562 posts, read 4,011,501 times
Can't you find a used copy of the book? That may be cheaper...

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,248,459 times
I've bought an international (and also teacher) editions in the past and they have been absolutely identical. International editions seem to be worse quality though and tougher to resell.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Can't find a used copy since the book is first edition.

Several people in my previous Stats class have used the Int'l edition, and it worked out with them.

:P I'll try to resell on eBay if possible or Facebook.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,612,737 times
Just a quick correction:

It is absolutely NOT illegal to sell or buy international edition books in the country.
In fact, if you email any of the major publishers they will tell you it themselves.

Again, it is absolutely LEGAL.

As far as differences, usually they are exactly the same in content but differ in layout.
For example, almost always they are softback/paperback. Sometimes the paper quality is cheaper (not the thick glossy stuff you see in regular textbooks). Sometimes it is in black&white. Sometimes the page numbers are a bit off but the content is usually identical.

Beware if your book was supposed to come with a CD or software package as some international versions do or don't come with them. Be sure to check.

Again..it IS LEGAL.
If you still doubt the legality, I encourage you to email the publisher directly. They may say it is unauthorized or "not intended" but it is fully legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities