Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

I think the smartest thing I read came from Emory in Atlanta. They asked all the sick students (about 100) to move into one dorm, where they could provide them with food and medical observation.

I just got a call from my son. Although we have gotten two emails from his college regarding substantial flu outbreaks, now that he is sick, the clinic is closed for the 3 day weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
The Air Force Academy did something similar. They had students arriving with the flu and they would check them into a special dorm til they got better. Every incoming student had a screening by the nurse or MD.

It sounds extreme but dormitory living is like living in a petri dish, so you have to get a little extreme if there is something of which you want to reduce the spread.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
Our school hasn't done anything that extreme yet. We've had a dozen or so (known) cases since the outbreak began.

They're really stressing hygiene though, with automated sanitizer dispensers set up at every entrance and the like. Of course the free seasonal flu vaccines.

Interestingly, because my school is a medical research university, they are actually testing swine flu vaccines. Not on students though (I don't think).

Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,678 times
My college has done nothing. Zero. No communication at all on this topic. It's a commuter college (4-year, private school, no dorms) so I'm not surprised. I purchased a couple of bottles of hand sanitizer and they're in my briefcase, ready to be set out for students to use.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
My school has stopped specifically testing for H1N1. They are now simply recommending that if you have symptoms, you self-isolate until you have been fever-free for at least 24 hours.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My school has stopped specifically testing for H1N1. They are now simply recommending that if you have symptoms, you self-isolate until you have been fever-free for at least 24 hours.
Yes, I think unless a student gets critically ill, they are treating everyone as just a "flu" victim. I just can't get over closing the clinic for three days after sending a couple of emails letting the parents know that there have been 100s of cases reported since the dorms opened.

But, my son seems to have weathered it ok. His roommate went out and bought him Theraflu and lots of juice.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
That is the CDC's recommendation. That is what we are telling our patients in the pediatric office where I work. Only "high risk" patients qualify for Tamiflu, b/c the flu is becoming resistant to it.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:48 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
My school is basically following the CDC guidelines; if you feel sick, stay home. If you have the flu, don't return until a a minimum of 24 hours after your fever subsides.

As far as the specifics of what my school is doing; they are allowing students to stay home. My college has a sort of three-strikes and you're out policy. If you miss three consecutive class periods, you are dropped from the course (even though this is school policy, I have yet to hear of a professor who has actually done this in practice). Now with H1N1 you can be out sick for a week or two without fear of repercussions. They flat-out don't want you on campus if you are sick. Seriously, you can't walk two feet on campus without running to a flyer telling you to stay home if you are sick.

As for the students who live in the dorm, they are basically expected to quarantine themselves to their rooms, making arrangements for food (from the dining hall) and other necessities to be delivered to their rooms. I am not sure what the room mates of the sick dormies who live in doubles and tripples are expected to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
It sounds extreme but dormitory living is like living in a petri dish, so you have to get a little extreme if there is something of which you want to reduce the spread.
Dormitories are breeding grounds for communicable pathogens, and oddly (or not so), male students are more susceptible.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
my school has a similar policy in several departments: miss more than 3 classes and you automatically fail. however, if you have proof you have H1N1, profs will lighten up on this policy. they're even suppose to give you a chance to do make up tests and presentations, even if they don't typically do so.

main preparations I've seen is that every building has a mountain of small packs of tissues and mini hand sanitizers that are free for students. not sure how the dorms are handling it, thank god I live off campus. one issue I thought of is that a lot of students, including me, don't have a thermometer lying around at home to check for fevers, so they don't know how sick they are

Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
We are following the CDC guidelines, but they are keeping an eye on how many students are missing class due to flu like symptoms. I guess if the number gets too high, they will look into closing. So far that hasn't happened. Also, the faculty are supposed to have a back up plan for their classes in case they get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities