Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,802,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
NO Artsy be careful about jumping to conclusions. I live in the State of Texas but am critical of UT mostly because of the high number arrests on its football team and the sleazy way Mack Brown tried to pressure sportswriters in AP voting a few years ago. UT is one of the better southern state universities and it has loads of money, but that's as far as I would go. I did do a Visiting Professorship at a UT Branch that had criminology in 1992 ( Austin didn't).

That statement could appley to any D1 football school in the country including the Ivies and service academies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 AM

457 posts, read 1,344,729 times
Nice Udub at #14.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,926,053 times
Was that UTDallas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I did do a Visiting Professorship at a UT Branch that had criminology in 1992 ( Austin didn't).

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,518,025 times
Permian Basin- the college that looked like a prison. They gave me a good deal- let me develop courses and still practice law, but the city is isolated and bleak.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,674,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I don't think I would necessarily say that. Different, yes; 'way better', not necessarily.

For example, this study measures, " Social Mobility (recruiting and graduating low-income students), Research (producing cutting-edge scholarship and PhDs), and Service (encouraging students to give something back to their country)."....

Why those areas are important, they say little about the quality or rigor of the academic setting. For instance, to increase ones rating, the school could simply start admitting more low-income students and make the coursework less rigorous. That immediately bumps up it "Social Mobility Rating"...and overall rating.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that all these studies are just games that school administrations can play...they can easily manipulate the numbers to bump up in the spots while offering no real improvement in the academic arena (or worse).
Yet Penn State is #7 with this abysmal record:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not big on the USN list, and I disagree with some of its choices. I like your list better, K-Luv. I still don't understand how Penn State seems to make both lists.

Left of Centre: Nobel Laureate Inks Marketing Deal with Penn State

No one has ever won a Nobel Prize while serving on the Penn State faculty. No one who has served on the Penn State faculty has won a Nobel Prize after leaving Penn State. Penn State has never hired a faculty member with a Nobel Prize. No one with an advanced degree from Penn State has ever won a Nobel Prize.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,009,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
SC State is #6?? Jackson State better than Yale?? You gotta be kidding me.
Ive never heard of SC State... any survey that has an unknown school as #6 is suspect, the publisher of that rag must have some pretty large cojones or he's an SC State Alumni!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities