Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM

4,631 posts, read 4,923,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Okay thanks for clearing it up. My colleges were not liberal learning although it sounds like a very good idea.

And why are people bashing liberal learning?
Because they want to believe anything other than earning money is childish nonsense. Because earning money is all they're good at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,929,848 times
Quote:
Okay thanks for clearing it up. My colleges were not liberal learning although it sounds like a very good idea.

And why are people bashing liberal learning?
Because many of us aren't liberal. Liberal professors outnumber conservative and moderate professors by 7 to 3, and many of the conservative professors don't express their opinions out of fear of repercussions and being shunned by the rest of the department.

With a lot of these liberal professors, grades are attached to agreeing with their far left ideology. I don't agree with their ideology, and my grades have suffered in several courses as a result. I am paying money for an education, not liberal brainwashing. In one class, we were given a topic for a paper on abortion and were only allowed to write on how the pro choice side is legitimate, and how the pro life side is a bunch of morons. I do not agree with that, and my paper reflected that. I got a D. Someone who wrote about how all pro life people should be deported, but had numerous spelling and grammatical errors got an A.

I wouldn't mind hearing their views, but I resent having my grades depending on agreeing with their political views.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,831,934 times
In my experiences my professors were nonpartisan; however, they were always pushing a singular ideology that they thought was supreme and it could not be questioned or criticized. I'm not talking about math or chemistry formulas either.

Thankfully after years of suffering through biased classes I found a college that allows respectful opposition and my professors are very nice about it too. They don't act like a ticked off toddler when you question or point out a different view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Because many of us aren't liberal. Liberal professors outnumber conservative and moderate professors by 7 to 3, and many of the conservative professors don't express their opinions out of fear of repercussions and being shunned by the rest of the department.

With a lot of these liberal professors, grades are attached to agreeing with their far left ideology. I don't agree with their ideology, and my grades have suffered in several courses as a result. I am paying money for an education, not liberal brainwashing. In one class, we were given a topic for a paper on abortion and were only allowed to write on how the pro choice side is legitimate, and how the pro life side is a bunch of morons. I do not agree with that, and my paper reflected that. I got a D. Someone who wrote about how all pro life people should be deported, but had numerous spelling and grammatical errors got an A.

I wouldn't mind hearing their views, but I resent having my grades depending on agreeing with their political views.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 PM

237 posts, read 869,343 times
homosexuality, macroevolution, abortion, giving people a twisted understanding of what it means to be 'progressive', brainwashing people by taking sides on issues that are unresolved, unproved, and making people think their position is a fact.
progressive is usually taught as a description of someone who thinks all religions are equal, God 'might' exist, homosexuality, pride, can be a good thing, global warming is happening the way they say it is, of course that's after they instill in people the idea that people who aren't progressive are dangerous, uneducated fools.

Last edited by grmike; 09-23-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM

I never experienced that once in a college and I'm a liberal. I saw a lot more "brainwashing" in regards to conservatism (keep things old fashioned). Colleges and institutions of education always seem old fashioned to me. The antithesis to progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
homosexuality, macroevolution, abortion, giving people a twisted understanding of what it means to be 'progressive', brainwashing people by taking sides on issues that are unresolved, unproved, and making people think their position is a fact.
progressive is usually taught as a description of someone who thinks all religions are equal, God 'might' exist, homosexuality, pride, can be a good thing, global warming is happening the way they say it is, of course that's after they instill in people the idea that people who aren't progressive are dangerous, uneducated fools.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,212,788 times
My American Politics Prof. was obviously a liberal but was very good about playing devils advocate with the class. My American History I prof. on the other hand was not shy about her liberal ideas. She told us our Founding Fathers were essentially "rednecks with money". HA! What a fruit.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 PM

They were and that is why slavery was condoned and practiced in those days. Let's not forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
She told us our Founding Fathers were essentially "rednecks with money". HA! What a fruit.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:04 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,331,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post

Sweetie, the question was why do people bash liberal learning, not liberal ideology.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,212,788 times
Quote:
They were and that is why slavery was condoned and practiced in those days. Let's not forget that.
Give me a break, Like that undoes all the good they did. Nice way to talk about our Founding Fathers.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,369,500 times
Quote:
Sure could write and think well for being rednecks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities