Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

As a part time College teacher myself I tend to believe the best thing about taking classes at a regular University is the interaction with the teacher and fellow students. I like discussion in my classes. I am not a supporter of Internet Classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I've taken online courses and there's plenty of discussion, sometimes more than in on-ground classes. I found that online you get to hear from each and every student because there's a participation requirement, whereas in face-to-face classes you may only hear from the same two or three students over and over again, or none at all if the class is mainly lecture. Besides, distance ed is a better fit for some people's personalities and learning styles.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM

17 posts, read 167,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNY View Post
I have my MBA from CSUDH right here; there is no mention that the degree was "online" or "distance"... it is of complete and full par with the on-campus degree. And I totally dig that it has Arnold's signature on it.

An online degree from a brick-and-mortar institution is comparable to its "normal" degree, or else they wouldn't be allowed to award it. I agree with others that a degree from a for-profit online company still has a stigma attached to it, tho.

Good luck! I'd say go for it. Be prepared to work just as hard, but you get to take advantage of the time-slip factor. My job was 80% travel when I was working towards mine.
Online is the only option I have right now. How do employers in job interviews approach this matter? If they ask about the MBA and how it was obtained, will the "online path" ruin my chances of securing that job, even though the degree is from an actual university?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
UMass-Amherst is an excellent university and both its full-time and part-time MBA programs are additionally accredited by AACSB ("the foremost accrediting body of business schools"). I went to their website and their full-time residential program was ranked #1 in the Northeast by US News & World Report (http://www.isenberg.umass.edu/news/US_News_and_World_Re_359/ - broken link). Make what you will of US News and their rankings, but seriously, I don't think you have anything to worry about!

As to your other question, in most cases with distance programs it isn't noted on the degree itself that it was earned at a distance, but you should contact the school and ask them. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer that question.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta,GA View Post
.............. will the "online path" ruin my chances of securing that job, even though the degree is from an actual university?
Only if you do not pass the course! Honey, as long as you have an official transcript all signed and stamped by the pertinent officials and department heads, the method of instruction does not matter. TRUST ME!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:20 PM

212 posts, read 858,901 times
Quote:
the method of instruction does not matter
but the school does. Ex: Strayer Univ. vs. Emory Univ. online executive program---big diff.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 AM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,383 times
Quote:
How do employers in job interviews approach this matter? If they ask about the MBA and how it was obtained, will the "online path" ruin my chances of securing that job, even though the degree is from an actual university?
First, you don't need to mention on your resume or application that it was distance-earned, the same as other students don't need to state that they have an on-campus degree. If you earned your MBA online through a reputable campus, it is the SAME degree as on-campus. The only issue at that point is how your prospective employer values that particular school.

Second, you highlight your team-building skills and your ability to prioritize your time. Play up that you interacted closely (you will) with a wide variety of people, possibly international. In many cases, people choose an online program because they have other obligations that prevent campus instruction; you managed to complete the degree without diminishing those other obligations. In fact, argue that you have a higher skillset because you were in a peer-interactive dominated environment rather than a teacher-dominated environment. This is not a slam at on-campus courses, but a method to accentuate online positives during an interview.

This is just off the top of my head. Remember: you don't want to try to explain away why your MBA might be considered secondary to any other. Given time to prepare, you'll find things that you can present as to why your education choice was better.

I'm not a recruiter nor do I do hiring for executive-level positions, so this might not be the perspective you're asking.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

68 posts, read 110,084 times
Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers You've been warned.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
Alright, for the OP, if you're still checking this thread, where do you hope to get a job when it's all said in done. Field and company if you can.

I don't want to ruin your plan of an online MBA if it actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
I'm close to finishing my MS degree (it's not in Business) at Capella. I have been very happy with the program. Most of my peers are also working professionals. Many of them have 'road warrior' jobs that require that they travel frequently and so it is easier for them to pursue a degree online. Some of them have families. I chose an online school because in addition to my day job, I am very active in my community and I didn't want the hassle of long drives, parking, attending class at specific hours in the day, etc.

I have actually found the work at Capella to be more demanding than when I was in the Master's program at Drexel.

Regarding MBAs specifically... I'm not in that field. However, I recall seeing an article last year (I think it was USA Today) that indicated that if you do not get into one of the top 10% of MBA schools, you will not see a significant increase in your income. This means that the remaining 90% would include EVERYTHING including most of the 'brick and mortar' schools--and I know a few people who completed MBA programs at the state university near me and they saw very little change in their income. Someone posted about some people who had earned their MBAs online and had difficulty finding a job. I would question whether they were just facing the current MBA glut and would have ran into that if they had attended any 'less than spectacular' 'brick and mortar' business school.

Also, regarding the term 'for profit schools'... All schools are for profit. :-) How often have we heard about someone donating something to a school so that their kids can get in (even though their scores or grades don't come close to the requirements).

Finally, I would be very interested in hearing from people with MBAs as to whether this '10%' thing has been widely observed, or if the article had exaggerated the MBA glut.

Quote:
So this goes back to my question...... are MBA online degrees that ARE associated with real-life universities worth seeking out? I'm currently looking at UMASS-Amherst online program.

I am also in a position that will (unfortunately) not allow me to "physically" attend classes on top of a full-time job and raising a family.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities