Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

19 posts, read 134,670 times

Advertisements

"Most programs in college are worthless and unless you want to go into something like medicine, law, engineering (real engineering not computer or IT where the group appears to have hijacked what being an engineer means) or hard sciences you are probably better off not going into debt."-

Couldn't have said it better myself....I too thought about CM and still am pursuing it, but I have to agree... I suppose having something is better than nothing at all..

"To many people getting that MBA so they can stand around congratulating each other how great they are is kind of funny when you think about. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and working at Starbucks."

Man this is so true and funny at the same time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
As a college student myself, I can say that the influx of 'career changer' students is really pi**ing me off.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
As a college student myself, I can say that the influx of 'career changer' students is really pi**ing me off.
Words to live by, and I'm not even joking

Quote:
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge
I only wish someone more exciting and dashing than Calvin Coolidge had said it, but whaddayagonnadoo?

Education and a degree is good but that alone will not get you to where you want to go. I've seen to many, some right here on this forum, who entertain the belief that just because they have that degree they are somehow "entitled" to success. You know, $190K salary, cars, nice house, good looking wife etc but reality is the degree entitles the holder to nothing.

Everything you will ever be or accomplish is in your persistence. I like how Matt Damon's character in Goodwill Hunting put it that everything you can learn at Harvard for $200,000 you can get at the library for $1.65 in late charges.

I've always enjoyed math, I like solving puzzles. It was the mid 1960's, I got drafted and never went on to college but I can solve puzzles like this, those of you who are good at math will probably recognize that isn't high school math, but I did learn how to do that on my own at a local college library. It didn't take brilliance for me to learn but it did take persistence and of all my gifts I am most thankful for that one. Persistence is worth 30 IQ points.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I got a degree in liberal arts and I was thinking about going back to school to get another degree in Construction Management. Do you think I should do this or should I just try to find a job? I know the construction industry is not the place to be right now, but what about a few years from now? Also, construction is booming right now in places around the world such as Dubai.

By the way: I would be using the GI Bill to go back to school to pay for my degree. I would not take out any loans or get myself into debt.
Absolutely go back to school. The job market in general sucks right now. If you can afford to be in school then may as well go for it.

BUT

Think really hard about what degree you would like to pursue.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,841 times
Default Nicet

nicet4
I've been in the fire sprinkler business for about 2 years now and love it. I started as a helper/fitter and am now in the office as an assistant designer. The next thing i was thinking was about taking the nicet certification. I was wondering how hard the first two nicets were, and what kind of knowledge i need to pass each one? I have my copy of the NFPA 13, but our company doesnt do the apprentice program, so everything I've learned has been on my own or with the help of someone more experienced. Any info on the nicet exams would help.

Stretch

Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM

610 posts, read 3,014,972 times
NICET4:

Is a Fire Sprinkler Layout Techinican basically just a drafter for fire sprinkler systems?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
NICET4:

Is a Fire Sprinkler Layout Technician basically just a drafter for fire sprinkler systems?
Not at all.

We are certified by the NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR CERTIFICATION IN ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIES which is sponsored by the National Society of Professional Engineers.

Certification is recognized in most states and the majority of states require the certification in order to obtain a license to do business. We're called certificate holders.

The Program Manual.

Full Level III certification takes a very minimum of five years and passage of a series of written tests which occupy a minimum of three days.

Level IV certification, considered a senior level technician, takes more testing and a minimum of ten years experience.

For knowledge requirements CAD represents 5% of the job and while a tool we use CAD knowledge isn't all that important.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchdesign View Post
nicet4
I've been in the fire sprinkler business for about 2 years now and love it. I started as a helper/fitter and am now in the office as an assistant designer. The next thing i was thinking was about taking the nicet certification. I was wondering how hard the first two nicets were, and what kind of knowledge i need to pass each one? I have my copy of the NFPA 13, but our company doesnt do the apprentice program, so everything I've learned has been on my own or with the help of someone more experienced. Any info on the nicet exams would help.

Stretch
Welcome to the club.

I left a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities