Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,385 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I am a current graduate from NAU with two degrees, one in Psychology and the second in Business Management, and I know the direction I want to continue in is Clinical Psychology.

As I understand, it is very difficult to go from BS in Psych to a Ph.D. Clinical Psych program. I also understand that majority or all Clinical Psych programs are Ph.D. I am at a point where I am not sure what masters program to get into so I can continue on to Clinical Psych Ph.D.

The programs I am looking at are Mental Health Counseling, a couple MA in Clinical Counseling and a Predoc Mental Health Counseling. I believe I have a better chance at the Mental Health Counseling programs (M. Coun.) but am not entirely sure I can continue on to a Clinical Ph.D. program with Mental Health Counseling Program. If anyone could help me figure out if these could get me to the clinical programs, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you,
~D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
My guess would be that you can get a Master's in Mental Health Counseling in order to get a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology.
I would try to talk with someone at the schools you're considering to figure out what degrees their current students have.

From what I've heard the Ph. D. is more research oriented versus the Psy. D.

It can all be very confusing.

http://www.cwpost.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/c...toral/faq.html

I hope the link helps. I just did a quick search on Yahoo! for "Psy. D." and that was one of the first links to come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities