U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 37,959 times
Default University of Phoenix Your Pros & Cons

Hi everyone. I'm considering going back to school. I graduated high school in '88. I'm a single mom of two boys ages 15 and 11. The program I'm considering is the Associates of Art in Communication OR Bachelors of Science in Communication with an emphasis in Marketing and Sales. I realize that it's expensive. Therefore, I haven't ruled out going to community college. But it just seems to me that it would take much longer to go that route.

Have any of you gone to or know of someone who has attended UOP? What was your/their experience? Good or bad your feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 PM

P.S. I'm in Dallas, Texas. Which is where I originally added this post. But the moderator moved it here. So sorry if there's already an open thread on here.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,103,360 times
My friends husband allegedly just got a teaching gig online at UP. This was after a written test and telephone interview. Part of me says I will believe it when I see it (he is an arrogant moron with a dime shop MBA) - the other says - if its true - stay away from UP.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM

LOL O-Kay...I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,336,134 times
A cousin of mine took classes with University of Phoenix (despite me telling her to just take classes at the local community college).

She regrets taking classes with the school and felt it was a waste of money.

She hated the amount of group work she had to do.

I'm not saying your experience would be the same but I wouldn't waste my time or money with the University of Phoenix.

I have a friend that teaches for the University of Phoenix and he constantly complains about the lack of a screening process. Some of his students have trouble stringing together a coherent sentence while the others are on a much more advanced level and probably shouldn't be in a beginning research class.

I would try to do some research on how often those with a degree from University of Phoenix land a job. If I were an employer, I certainly wouldn't hire someone with a degree from there.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM

885 posts, read 1,592,136 times
As a former employee please go to a brick and mortar college in your hometown. The cost and reputation are not worth it. To get a AA degree that is not technical or medical is a huge waste in todays jobmarket.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,149,243 times
My sister went to UP for her bachelors, spent $34k for a BBA because I guess she couldn't get off her butt and drive to an actual campus for classes (the kid was old enough to not need 24/7 watching), and hasn't gotten anything jobwise out of this...it even surprised her that UP doesn't (or did not at that time) have any career connection type outlets for all that money she spent.

Ooops.

On a related note, my broke aunt wanted to get an AAS in Criminal Justice from DeVry(?) and quit because she ran out of money after a few weeks.

Both had community colleges.upper level schools nearby that would have cost less and had more than enough class selection to meet their needs.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 PM

25,170 posts, read 32,267,461 times
They make you do crappy group work projects at every college

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
A cousin of mine took classes with University of Phoenix (despite me telling her to just take classes at the local community college).

She regrets taking classes with the school and felt it was a waste of money.

She hated the amount of group work she had to do.

I'm not saying your experience would be the same but I wouldn't waste my time or money with the University of Phoenix.

I have a friend that teaches for the University of Phoenix and he constantly complains about the lack of a screening process. Some of his students have trouble stringing together a coherent sentence while the others are on a much more advanced level and probably shouldn't be in a beginning research class.

I would try to do some research on how often those with a degree from University of Phoenix land a job. If I were an employer, I certainly wouldn't hire someone with a degree from there.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

202 posts, read 434,470 times
Default It all depends...

UoP is an accredited school, depending on what you are going to do with your degree it may be the school for you, you just need to know what you're getting into.

1. UoP is very expensive, there are other online schools that cost less.
2. UoP has a bad reputation - regardless of whether it's true or not, a good portion of people view UoP is being subpar.
3. UoP has had legal problems - yes other school may get sued, but since UoP already has a bad rep this only adds to the problems.

Having said that, UoP may still be the school for you, if you are certain that a degree alone will help you in your current career, then the speed at which you obtain your degree may offset the cost.

I use to work for the state government, and if you wanted promotions to certain management positions you had to have a degree, no exceptions. The degree (with a good interview and other qualifications of course) was enough to get you a step up...it didn't matter where you went to school as long as your degree was obtained from an accredited university.

Weigh your options, search the web about the school, and find out how employers view a degree from UoP, then make your decision. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,343,832 times
I have a friend who went to University of Maryland-University College and she loved it. It is an online degree plan type of school, but I think it has a better rep than a lot of other online schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities