Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:56 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
that clearly fits the kind of connection i was suggesting in the first place.
No, it doesn't. (Although I admit it seems a bit arrogant of me to point out how you're misinterpreting your own post.)

Your post cited the fact that large numbers of Chicago kids attend the U of Iowa. That's not true for OU and Dallas.

On the flip side, I would assert that relatively few Hawkeye alumni go on to become titans of industry in Chicagoland. If you grabbed 100 bigwigs off Michigan Ave., I would guess Northwestern and UIUC would have the highest representation, followed by hired-gun Ivy Leaguers. You might even have more Badgers than Hawkeyes.

Meanwhile, in Dallas, although UT would be #1 and A & M #2, OU would be a strong #3, right up there with SMU. (A lot of Longhorns and Aggies go to Houston, San Antonio, or any of a dozen mid-sized Texas cities. For OU, Dallas is the closest big city if you decide to leave OKC (and most do). )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Maybe Iowa is just getting the residual effects of how the universities in Illinois are seen in the state.
I think this is probably as likely as anything. I grew up in Illinois and never seriously considered attending a state school in Illinois. I didn't go to Iowa, though, I went to Minnesota (not U of M, however).

Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 AM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Auburn has a HUGE amount of atlanta kids that attend. I was quite amazed when I discovered that

Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I went to HS in the Chicago suburbs. To me, it always seemed that students who couldn't get into University of Illinois but still wanted the big 10 atmosphere went to University of Iowa. Not sure there's a big gap in admissions standards between Illinois State and U of Iowa--last I remember, Iowa used an equation based on GPA and ACT score to determine admissions, and it was not terribly difficult.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Auburn has a HUGE amount of atlanta kids that attend. I was quite amazed when I discovered that
I'm not surprised. Atlanta is a center for the SEC (and the ACC, to a lesser extent) in the same manner that Chicago is a center for the Big Ten schools.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I went to HS in the Chicago suburbs. To me, it always seemed that students who couldn't get into University of Illinois but still wanted the big 10 atmosphere went to University of Iowa. Not sure there's a big gap in admissions standards between Illinois State and U of Iowa--last I remember, Iowa used an equation based on GPA and ACT score to determine admissions, and it was not terribly difficult.
I don't think that Iowa is necessarily that much more difficult to get into compared to Illinois State, but the difference in academic reputation is fairly significant. Iowa is #71 in the latest US News Rankings, while Illinois State is in the 3rd tier. That's what I meant by saying that the "upper middle tier" Illinois high school graduates aren't really being served by the state public universities. After the University of Illinois (ranked #39), there isn't another Illinois public school in the top 135 of the US News Rankings, while states such as Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Iowa all have multiple public universities in the top 100 despite having smaller populations. I know that the US News Rankings aren't the be-all end-all, but they are a still pretty good picture as to where schools are thought of in terms of national reputation.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I don't think that Iowa is necessarily that much more difficult to get into compared to Illinois State, but the difference in academic reputation is fairly significant. Iowa is #71 in the latest US News Rankings, while Illinois State is in the 3rd tier. That's what I meant by saying that the "upper middle tier" Illinois high school graduates aren't really being served by the state public universities. After the University of Illinois (ranked #39), there isn't another Illinois public school in the top 135 of the US News Rankings, while states such as Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Iowa all have multiple public universities in the top 100 despite having smaller populations. I know that the US News Rankings aren't the be-all end-all, but they are a still pretty good picture as to where schools are thought of in terms of national reputation.
Frank,

Is Purdue within that group of "desirable alternative" schools (such as Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, etc.) for Illinois high school graduates who cannot secure a place at Illinois?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Frank,

Is Purdue within that group of "desirable alternative" schools (such as Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, etc.) for Illinois high school graduates who cannot secure a place at Illinois?
Absolutely, especially if you want to study engineering (where Purdue is very strong).

Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
I went to Iowa and had several roomates from Chicagoland. Their primary motivating factor was the party atmosphere in downtown Iowa City. Had nothing to do with academics. Also it was a way to get away from their hometowns but not go too far away.

I also wonder though if the cost of Iowa's out of state tuition is on par with an an in-state Illinois school. Might also have something to do with it.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Lots of Californians at the University of Colorado. There is no reciprocity agreement, and out of state residents pay cost plus (to make up for the discount given in-state students).

Californication of CU-Boulder - Boulder Daily Camera

This fall, university officials estimate that 644 freshmen at CU-Boulder are from California -- making up 9 percent of the freshman class. Behind California as top feeder states are Illinois and Texas.
Well I think part of that has to do with Boulder being seen as a "hippie school" and/or somewhere that will allow you to go skiing every weekend. I think the term I'm looking for is "trustifarian."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities