Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM

380 posts, read 961,669 times

Advertisements

Hi, I transferred to a Barry University in Miami, Florida from George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. I did not like the old school and my major involves understanding latin american culture and spanish...etc. so miami is the better location. There were other reasons but i made the transfer.

My major all along has been international studies, which i recognize is pretty impractical but there are some jobs available with a BA in it.

My question is. Will my degree be "worthless" since I'm obtaining it from a completely unknown and non-competitive school?

I am NOT a student that does "just enough" to get by, so, i plan (hope) to have a 3.4-3.6 GPA upon completion. I am aware that a degree is not the whole show. So this summer i will be getting an internship (i dont know where yet). But it will hopefully be in an IGO or NGO that is reputable. I pretty much eliminated the state dept. as internship possibiliy because they want you to apply almost a year in advance.

I know spanish fairly well but am not a native speaker unfortunately. That is the language i am using as the language requirement.

I ask that, if you choose to respond, give thoughtful answers not just "no"

Also if you have any recomendations, of any kind to give thanks. As well as any organizations (IGO's, NGO's etc) to apply to. I am interested in all kinds of work but unfortunately cant specify what it is i want to other than work internationally. My major has quite a few economics courses.

Thanks guys, althought you may not come back to read this I forgot to mention I did a three week study abroad when i was 16 in mexico. I know thats not saying much but ive been abroad and hope to do so again. I would love to intern somewhere like oxfam and arent sure what other marketable skills i should try to obtain.

I live right outside Wasihngton, DC for the summer and can do an UNPAID internship there if need-be. Because my parents can pay the rent (lucky me).

Any organizations in DC one could let me know about, thanks

Last edited by amIayankee?; 12-15-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I go to a very well known school for international studies and am worried about my career prospects. I had hoped to go into nonprofits/NGOs but their budgets have been slashed and are not hiring as much as I would like, so I'm having to adjust. Intern, intern, intern! Also, try to build some marketable skills. I have studied programming, will be taking 2 quarters of graduate level GIS courses (so while I will not graduate with work GIS experience, I will be at least somewhat proficient), and have inserted myself into internships where I was forced to learn completely disparate skills from my majors (now working on municipal energy efficiency). Your major is not the only factor so you need to let your economics coursework shine too.

Also, you NEED to study abroad. It's not an option, especially if you want to be able to capitalize on your foreign language skills. Studying abroad in a university is ok, but doing an internship or some kind of experiential learning is even better.

What kind of NGOs are you interested in working for?

I think interdisciplinary majors such as international relations take a little more creativity in marketing yourself, you just need to have a clear idea of how you are going to use it.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
Amen to the internship. Do one every summer and try to find a place you can do like 10 hours a week during the school year.

Good references from your internship will help you get a job, especially if you're going to a school without a big reputation. I definitely get a lot of work because people I interned with liked me and recommended me for jobs. Also, becoming fluent in Spanish will help you a lot in many careers, so nail that as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
You're going to need a master's just to get started in this career, no doubt. You don't have to do it right after your bachelor's, though. My recommendation would be to try and get some experience after college--Peace Corps is a great option, if you can find a non-profit than that as well. I can answer more general questions about the international relations field, but not as sure when it comes to the development side (I'm on the security side).

Also, if I may ask, why did you choose Barry over say UMiami or FIU?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
You're going to need a master's just to get started in this career, no doubt. You don't have to do it right after your bachelor's, though. My recommendation would be to try and get some experience after college--Peace Corps is a great option, if you can find a non-profit than that as well. I can answer more general questions about the international relations field, but not as sure when it comes to the development side (I'm on the security side).

Also, if I may ask, why did you choose Barry over say UMiami or FIU?

Well FIU did not accept me, and I prefer a smaller school. I assume they didn't accept me because my GPA was too low. I had a bad first semester at George Mason and so I didn't even bother with UM, they only take the best.

I do plan to go to graduate school but after completing some work in the field, like you suggest. I'm going to assume that the peace corps is selective as well only from well known schools?, but i suppose i should try there...Assumptions kept me from applying to UM.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
As far as I know, the Peace Corps certainly doesn't favor elite schools, after all, it's not an academic program. Other things matter more- personal assessments/references, character, interview.
In recent years, they have been more interested in people with hard skills and work experience, a change from the new college grad model, although they do take both kinds of people.
Best wishes. I went into P.C. to get field experience for a planned career in international public health. I went to the wrong country, wrong time, wrong program within P.C. (Haiti, right after Duvalier left) and left before making the two-year commitment. The right program (that is, not stuck in an undefined role in a distant village- there are all kinds of assignments available, and you can turn down or accept a given offer- the right program can be that entry into international work. Best wishes.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM

413 posts, read 1,164,951 times
You definitely made the wrong choice if your desired career is anything remotely related to international relations. GMU is located near DC as you know, so you definitely could have capitalized on numerous internships near the area.

Although a BA in intl. studies isn't a technical major, by doing an internship or two, you will become acclimated into the specific mission of the NGO, govt. dept., and private enterprises.

Your other option could be joining the military.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
PC doesn't favor only elite skills. Acceptance is largely based on references, interviews, psychological profile, etc. Spend two seconds looking at their application process....where you went to school is just about the least important criteria.

Have you considered applying to UM or FIU again later? If you are able to bring your GPA up at Barry University for a few semesters, you may be able to get in.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
You definitely made the wrong choice if your desired career is anything remotely related to international relations. GMU is located near DC as you know, so you definitely could have capitalized on numerous internships near the area.

Although a BA in intl. studies isn't a technical major, by doing an internship or two, you will become acclimated into the specific mission of the NGO, govt. dept., and private enterprises.

Your other option could be joining the military.
Well, Im from arlington, so I will be in proximity to DC most of May through most of August. So i could intern somewhere there during the summer months, but obviously not not during the academic year.

During Fall and Spring semester, I can intern somewhere in Miami or nearby which will be more related to what i'll be studying. And, fyi i left mason because it was too close to home.

Oh and I will not join a military that is fighting illegal wars, sorry to bring in the politics. But the military aint my thing (Im apart of the 75% of youth that is inelligable, asthma)

I just looked at the criteria for transferring to UM with more than 30 credtis, i really dont think they would accept me, even with a 4.0 and then I lose a ton of credits, which i dont mind staying in school forever but my mom cant pay tution forever, she wants to retire in a few years. I think I will still apply there though.

Last edited by amIayankee?; 12-16-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
PC doesn't favor only elite skills. Acceptance is largely based on references, interviews, psychological profile, etc. Spend two seconds looking at their application process....where you went to school is just about the least important criteria.

Have you considered applying to UM or FIU again later? If you are able to bring your GPA up at Barry University for a few semesters, you may be able to get in.

Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply to those schools again. As a goal orented decsion, i'd love to attend UM. My GPA will be about a 3.5. Doesn't it look bad to keep transferring? But then again, UM is much more well known and probably has more connections than Barry( and closer proximity to places of internships)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities