Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 175,553 times

Advertisements

when 77% of americans graduate from high schools, it becomes impossible to sort through applications. There is alot more specialized information out there now a days and some universities lead to that. There are not many jobs I can think of where a university degree is worthless, however most jobs it shows you can at least handle the work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,705 times
I would love to pursue a Master's Degree, but I cannot right now because my husband has brain cancer, and we are just not ready financially, too many medical expenses and worries. However, I hope someday I can get my master's.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,292,639 times
In simple numbers, 70% of the country graduates out of high school and 25% of the population that is over the age of 15 has a 4 years degree so i would hardly say that a college degree is the old HS diploma. Although the enrollment numbers may be higher,many folks still don't finish college. Its just not as easy as some think.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,440,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
In simple numbers, 70% of the country graduates out of high school and 25% of the population that is over the age of 15 has a 4 years degree so i would hardly say that a college degree is the old HS diploma. Although the enrollment numbers may be higher,many folks still don't finish college. Its just not as easy as some think.
That age range includes 16-20 year olds. Very few people that age would have a college degree. If you looked at the population over the age of 21, the percentage of college graduates would be higher.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,828,691 times
I agree. College is a political jungle that prepares you for some real world experiences, usually in how to eat a bunch of BS and smile. So a lot of people realize that and drop out. However, I found a diamond in the rough of a university and received my Master's degree there. Most people from there are eager to form sincere relationships with you and are sincere about your learning. That is how education should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post

Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That age range includes 16-20 year olds. Very few people that age would have a college degree. If you looked at the population over the age of 21, the percentage of college graduates would be higher.
No....it isn't higher.

28% of adults over 25 have a Bachelor's Degree....

85% of adults have have completed high school....

Is the Bachelor's degree the new high school diploma?

Nope and it isn't even a close race...

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/007660.html (broken link)

Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM

62 posts, read 123,997 times
I hope not because I don't plan on going to grad school, although I do want 2 more additional B.A's for personal enrichment.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,405,553 times
Hrrm... yeah more people with 4 year degrees ...but from where? Are top schools actually churning out more and more students? No, I think their gates are still sealed to get in as well, if you don't have the smarts, you just aren't getting in. And if you happened to squeeze in, you'd probably fail out if say you were doing UC Berkeley Engineering, but weak in math. Quality of the institution still matters big time, so does quality of a company on your resume. I have gotten not so many looks from my state school, but definitely some of the high profile companies I have consulted for.
In contemplating further education I am *definitely* looking more at the quality and reputation of the programs...even if it does cost more, and the cheaper schools are often using the same books...
Looking back I definitely would have tried to get into the best university possible now, knowing how people look at certain schools as I got in to several *better* schools then the one I ended up going to b/c of location and cost.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 AM

3,321 posts, read 7,936,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sis View Post
I hope not because I don't plan on going to grad school, although I do want 2 more additional B.A's for personal enrichment.

So you want 3 Bachelor degrees but want to avoid grad school? That contains ZERO logic. Personal enrichment only goes so far when you are stuck at school at least twice as long to enter the workforce the same exact position as if you only had 1 B.A.

personal enrichment = I like to show off

Old 03-27-2010, 09:40 AM

207 posts, read 961,801 times
I feel like most people who say they don't want to go to graduate school will end up having to go anyway because they won't be able to advance in their field without a higher degree. It's becoming a necessity for anyone who wants to go beyond an entry-level position and those who thought they'd never go back are now the first to get their applications out. I went to an open house at one of the schools I'm considering and I met a woman there who was in her mid 40s (it was her birthday so she was wearing a button that said her age) and of course in order to make conversation people asked her what it was like going back to grad school at a later age. She said it was never something she thought she would have to do but her boss told her that she had to get a higher degree if she wanted to be kept at the place she is working now so it was either go or get laid off. She said a lot of her co-workers are in the same position because of so many new undergrads coming in that companies can employ for far less money, it makes sense for them to dump the older folks who are more expensive to keep if they only have a Bachelor's degree. This is certainly not the case for all jobs and fields, I just thought it was interesting listening to her story and I think it is becoming a more common one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities