U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,048,261 times
Not necesasrily but not all degrees are of the same value pay wise.Bascailly i see degrees being created to maych what people can pass to often than what is needed or even worth anything how days. Especailly since their are grants and loan so easily obtained ;colleges are creative to get the money.But still according to just released government stats the overall the unemployemnt for college graduates is just over 5% and 10% for those without degrees. That not even taking about those with additional training beyond high school without degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM

978 posts, read 450,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
To what extent do you think this is true?

Also, if the Bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma, the bigger question is: Was the old high school diploma really so bad? Wasn't there a time when it was easier to get by with just a high school diploma?
One, most things we buy are made somewhere else. Hence, jobs are not as plentiful as they used to be.

Two, the quality of a high school education is not as high as it used to be.

Three, college has made indoctrination a higher priority, than it used to. So, fitting in is more important, than it used to be.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 AM

3,424 posts, read 3,209,825 times
Yeah, the bachelors degree is the new high school diploma. As such, I think they should make the bachelors degree a part of receiving a high school diploma. I think they should actually give you a bachelors degree when they hand you your high school diploma. Then, when you actually go to college, they would only have to revoke your degree whenever you start doing poorly in college.

No but seriously, people love to rant on about how engineers and doctors and lawyers are virtually impervious to employment woes. This is a falsehood actually. As hindsight alluded to, engineering doesnt actually require a degree. My relative says all the time that she wishes she hadnt wasted money on her engineering degree from an expensive, though reputable, university. Because according to her, there are people doing the same thing she does with no degree. Many people learn the exact same sort of engineering principles in the military, or on their own.

As for lawyers, they are among some of the hardest hit by unemployment in general...many, MANY law grads find themselves behind a counter with a headset on, and massive piles of debt. If they are lucky enough to find a job in the law field, their early and middle career years are often spent tirelessly researching legal proceedings for just about what anyone with a regular bachelors degree makes. If they are lucky enough to make partner, they will certainly reap the benefits of their education. But for many law grads, passing the BAR is as close to they'll come to practicing law.

Doctors...of course their degrees are pretty much a golden meal ticket anywhere and anytime..good investment those Doctors degrees.

Nevertheless, all of these misguided perceptions about how engineering, and law degrees, and computer science degrees somehow insulate those students from unemployment so much more than those with liberal arts degrees are a little unwarranted.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM

37 posts, read 66,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
It's the employers.

"You live too far".

"You are overqualified".

"You are underqualified".

"You cost too much".

"You this, You that".

I'm sure there's more, and in essence with many of them is that they want "cheap labor" in a matter of speaking while loading up on responsibilities and qualifications for an opening.

It absolutely is because of our stinky economy. Not everyone has a bachelor's degree as has been mentioned, so it being the new "high school diploma" does not hold up, IMO. This attitude about higher education being a waste of time or whatever is just a "sign of the times" and it will fall by the wayside when the economy improves.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,703 times
If a bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma, why not just skip high school altogether and go on to college and begin work on a bachelor's. It sounds to me like just another petty excuse not to give someone who has an education a job. Any education is good. If you were able to go further than a bachelor's, that is great. If you are not meant for college and just completed high school, there is nothing wrong with that either. It takes all kinds to make a world. I think you need to base it on the person and their individual work ethic. Everyone has a place; we just have a lousy economy. We need all sorts of types of workers from engineers, writers, bricklayers. Even a grave digger is a noble profession; after all, we need them, and they are earning a payday honestly. People need to stop being so judgemental. I think all that matters is that you try to be a hard working, honest person. Forget people who try to label others. Any educational undertaking one completes is a triumph. The truth is we live in a lousy economy, and people should not beat themselves up if they know they are doing the best they can.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM

71,075 posts, read 31,451,094 times
Over the years it's lost it's value as too many now have that 4 year degree.
Masters is what they want so that will be saturated in a few years and then it's PhD.

You can't find many jobs today that only require HS diploma or even a 2 year community college degree.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM

571 posts, read 500,160 times
No. While it is true that more kids are going to college, how many of them will make it? I'd strongly recommend having at bare minimum a 2.7 GPA if you are planning on going to college- and even then, I'd say apply to a fairly un-selective school.

Also, I read something like a record number of kids are applying for colleges- this is temporary because of the god-awful economy. I don't think many people who aren't unemployed truly realize how bad it is. It's terrible. I feel bad for the class of 2008-10. I heard that only 55% of the graduating class of Princeton were able to find jobs. Around cleveland where I live, we recently had a Wal-Mart announce they had 300 available job openings.

5,000 people applied.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:12 PM

7,414 posts, read 3,861,708 times
If you believe a Bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma, then that should tell you clearly: get a Master's degree.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,841,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan;13159097[B
]Over the years it's lost it's value as too many now have that 4 year degree.[/b]Masters is what they want so that will be saturated in a few years and then it's PhD.

You can't find many jobs today that only require HS diploma or even a 2 year community college degree.
Not true...

It has been pointed out numerous times on this thread.....1/3 or less of US adults possess a bachelor's degree.

The numbers with Masters and Phd degrees is infinitesimal in comparison....far from saturation.

If you look at other developed countries the US is seriously BEHIND in educational attainment.

Far from too many having BS or BA degrees......too FEW in this country have a degree to compete in a global economy.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM

915 posts, read 1,310,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If you believe a Bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma, then that should tell you clearly: get a Master's degree.
I would go a step further in saying it's important to know what career path you are interested in. Know the proper educational requirements for the intended career (short and long-term) and then seek the proper degree.

I do not like the structure of primary, secondary, and collegiate educational system in the US. I believe that the experience of education between K-12 plus the first two years of college (generally focusing on general liberal arts and science courses) should be condensed into the K-9 schooling years. I think years 10-12 should allow for greater specializations and the ability to allow students to "apply and attend" more rigorous programs or niche schools; I also support the idea of various levels of a HS Diploma (basic, IB or with a specialization). My point is that every person should know how to do something at the point of completing an HS diploma. The role of primary and secondary education should make someone generally employable. The role advance education is to help someone specialize in professional fields.

I think college should then be reduced to a 3 year educational experience and a 1 year work and/or study abroad experience. In the first year of college, a student would focus on general and prerequisite courses and the following two years can be structured towards major and minors. The optional fourth year could be geared toward those who desire to travel abroad or enter into an internship or work-study for credit. Alternatively, for those who do not find college beneficial may choose to continue to specialize in a trade.

Back to the topic, most liberal arts majors are the biggest losers and those with specializations and "strong majors" are the biggest winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities