Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 AM

188 posts, read 406,137 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the article.. but im hoping more was taken from it than just the fact that there are low graduation rates in HBCU's. That cant be denied, but we also shouldnt ignore the reasons it gave, which mostly had to do with lack of money, and student not being prepared properly for college by their former schools. Lets not just have people thinking the black kids just dont finish college. (for no apparent reason.) With all that said, I still believe that HBCU's have quite a bit to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
Hello,
I thought I would throw in one stat comment and then back out of this thread.

Average scores are very misleading, especially for schools with multiple missions such as HBCUs. Better would be to look at quartiles. If a school has a large concentration of students in the lower quartile, then it may represent a school dominated by remedial courses. If a school has a large population in the upper quartile, then this means that successful and ambitious students will find plenty of company and may have confidence to receive an excellent education. It is for this reason that there are so many incredible people that come from so many different universities, HBCU and otherwise.

Best, S.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
I find great value in any school that strives to educate and is very open to, black people. What a person does with that educational opportunity is up to them.

My experience has been that those who were serious about their education did well at these schools and in their careers.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'd like to see this data.

Some HBCUs, especially the smaller ones, do have lower requirements than the state schools, but there are small "white" schools that also have lower requirements too.

Also, you said MOST HBCUs are inferior. Inferior to what? Inferior where? For example, a Morehouse graduate trumps Kennesaw State grad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I was just wondering where I could fine some of this statistical data, for both the HBCU's, and other Universities...
US News & Report is a start. Just plug in the numbers of a couple HBCUs and compare them to your run of the mill non-HBCU. By small "white" schools are you referencing religious institutions or are you stereotyping less known schools in a particular area?

Here is some slightly outdated states but the underlining notion is the same:

this one shows a write up of the top 10 HBCUs
http://www.blackexcel.org/10best.htm

here's a write up of most HBCUs
http://www.blackexcel.org/hbc-list.htm

the best website I've found that shows alot of information on HBCUs
http://www.blackcollegesearch.com/di...university.htm

Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
US News & Report is a start. Just plug in the numbers of a couple HBCUs and compare them to your run of the mill non-HBCU. By small "white" schools are you referencing religious institutions or are you stereotyping less known schools in a particular area?

Here is some slightly outdated states but the underlining notion is the same:

this one shows a write up of the top 10 HBCUs
10 Best Historically Black Colleges

here's a write up of most HBCUs
HISTORICALLY BLACK & PREDOMINANTLY BLACK COLLEGE LISTING

the best website I've found that shows alot of information on HBCUs
Howard University Profile
Ok, these show average SAT and ACT scores, and graduating percentages for HBCUs only. You did not show any comparisons with similar non-HBCUs (in terms of size or private vs public). I still don't see any data that shows all or most of them to be inferior, though, I agreed that some HBCUs do have lower entrance requirements. Is that your definition of inferior?

(By small "white" school, I was referring to anything not an HBCU).

Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Ok, these show average SAT and ACT scores, and graduating percentages for HBCUs only. You did not show any comparisons with similar non-HBCUs (in terms of size or private vs public). I still don't see any data that shows all or most of them to be inferior, though, I agreed that some HBCUs do have lower entrance requirements. Is that your definition of inferior?

(By small "white" school, I was referring to anything not an HBCU).
The number of non-HBCUs is far greater than historically black colleges. Doing so will include over 2,000 universities. Like I stated, most HBCUs have low admission requirements; indicative of the avg. sat and gpa scores of applicants. And yes, inferior to me is determined by these scores. Smarter people usually make more money and this adds to alumni giving and the further prosperity of a given college.

I think it's rather naive to refer to anything not HBCU as small "white" because most HBCUs have spreads of atleast 95% whereas a school you would consider majority white will still most likely display an 85% white spread at the worst case scenario.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,381 times
Howard, Fisk, Spelman, Morehouse, Hampton..and a few others were known as
the Black Ivy League years ago.....

There are prosperous Graduates of HBCU's, Female Colleges...Religious Colleges, International Universities....

It all depends...

Now it is moreso about Graduate Degrees and also Who you Know and Intern with....

Last edited by naomisday; 12-22-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM

dreamgirl84,

Yes, the Graduation Rates need to be improved for sure

Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 PM

Alexus,

I agree with your post..

Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,059 times
I didn't attend a HBCU, but I've got three cousins who attended the same institution, a college in South Carolina. Two of them went to school and became professional students. One did not graduate. I don't blame the college for this; they just came from an upbringing in which they were pretty much given everything and they didn't have to work for it. The other cousin went the opposite route. She didn't do so well in high school, but she excelled at the same school and was offered a seat in the Honors program at her school. She graduated in four years, but she did not enjoy her time there. She was ready to get out from the first weekend, but she worked hard and didn't go the partying route.

I went to a non-HBCU school, but I had the opportunity to attend a month-long summer academic camp at a HBCU after my freshman year of high school. While on campus, I saw tons of hard-working students who worked just as hard as my counterparts at my majority-white university. They took pride in their school and their resumes were impressive because they took up every chance to enhance their character by joining organizations or volunteering.

All in all, I guess it's what you put into it. I noticed though from my peers who went to HBCUs that they have a really strong sense of community and really get involved in their alumni organizations. I don't see the same amount of pride coming out of universities such as mine except during football season or basketball season. I think both types of institutions could learn from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities