Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to transfer to an out of state college, but pay in state tuition somewhere along the road? Right now, Penn. is the only state that I can do that in because I have kin in that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Do a search, this topic has come up a few times.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times
Well I see the academic common market pop up. I live in the south, so how would that work out?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Check out "residency" rules, also Academic Common Market.

You do know, however, it isn't easy, right? You can't just change addresses and get in-state tuition. You must be a dependent on the homeowner's tax return, or file taxes yourself (as in have a job in the state you want to attend school in). In other words, you must prove residency by some means.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Academic Common Market has many rules attached to it. You have to major in a program not available in your home state. I'm not sure if you can do it as a transfer student.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Is it possible to transfer to an out of state college, but pay in state tuition somewhere along the road? Right now, Penn. is the only state that I can do that in because I have kin in that state.
Just because you have a kin in a state does not mean you will be able to get away with in-state tuition. In-state tuition is for RESIDENTS of the state. What this means is that if you want in-state tuition rates, you have to establish residency in that state typically for a year (but may be longer depending on the state regulations) before you can be considered a resident. Very first thing you will need to do is to get that state's driver's license and have as much evidences as you can that you're living there (e.g. rent, utilities, in-state taxes, etc). After establishing residency then, you can apply or petition to be considered a resident of the state and thus eligible for in-state benefits, such as reduced tuition.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
There are some colleges that offer instate tuition to all students. Eastern Oregon University comes to mind. In addition, many community colleges have very liberal residency requirements. For example, one son was told if he took one online course, he would qualify for resident tuition for all classes and after that term he would be considered a resident. After a year there, he qualified for grant money available only to residents.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
However, many/most states and schools these days are extremely strict about verifying whether someone qualifies as in-state because of the large amount of tuition they can charge to the out-of-state students during a time of general budget crunches.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post

Trust me when I tell you that PA won't let you do in-state just because you have relatives there. Oldest daughter went to a state university in PA, she got a PA driver's license, used her grandparents address, had a PA job and paid PA income tax (along with all the local nuisance taxes) and the university for four years determined she was still a non-resident.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I would suggest checking the Pennsylvania forums. This has come up before on those boards and there may be some links. You could also just do a google search about PA residency requirements. Believe everyone when they say it's not easy. Generally, you have to be at least 22 years old, and satisfy a whole host of other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities