U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,460,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
A degree like that will never be "worth it" financially.

However, it's knowledge, which no one can ever take from you, and is worth more than mere money.
I disagree. "Knowledge" is not worth it if it causes you to have crippling student loan debts for decades to come with no discernible financial benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,178,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I disagree. "Knowledge" is not worth it if it causes you to have crippling student loan debts for decades to come with no discernible financial benefit.

Not everything worthwhile shows up in the wallet.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Not everything worthwhile shows up in the wallet.
With a useless PHD many worthwhile things will leave your wallet on a monthly basis.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,636,253 times
Most PhD students aren't paying for their programs. They're getting stipends and teaching intro level classes.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM

981 posts, read 537,423 times
Quote:
With a useless PHD many worthwhile things will leave your wallet on a monthly basis.
The obsession you appear to have with money and this return investment = life type of mentality, is revolting. No wonder so many people end up unhappy and disgusted with life - they spend too much time focusing on maximizing the profit on everything they undertake, thinking money will save them and contribute to a more fulfilling, happier life.

It won't (at least not those for whom money is not the sole object in life).

Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
The obsession you appear to have with money and this return investment = life type of mentality, is revolting. No wonder so many people end up unhappy and disgusted with life - they spend too much time focusing on maximizing the profit on everything they undertake, thinking money will save them and contribute to a more fulfilling, happier life.

It won't (at least not those for whom money is not the sole object in life).
Higher education is an investment - plain and simple. You are spending a lot of money, getting deeply into debt, and being charged interest on that debt all with the hope that it will lead to a more fulfilling job and more $ in your pocket when it is all said and done. Sure, it is nice to become "more well-rounded" and to "expand one's mind". But, most people go to school so that they can get a piece of paper which will enable them to not have to work at McDonald's.

I'm not obsessed with money. But, I have a serious aversion to having half of my paycheck taken away from me every month for the next 30 years (as anybody should be). Imagine trying to pay your rent, utilities, food, car insurance, trying to save for retirement, etc.. while making practically no money and having a $1,500 a month student loan payment. That quickly makes life not so much fun.

I reiterate; if it does not have a financial benefit and it will cripple your future standard of living then what the hell is the point of doing it? You can easily go to the library and learn anything you want for free anyway.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,708,569 times
Quote:
the cost-benefit is really one that must take into account expectations and be based on accurate information.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 AM

5,010 posts, read 12,178,289 times
Higher education is not simply an investment. You can't run a cost / benefit on it and break it down financially.

Learning for the sake of learning is still important to some people.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,708,569 times
Quote:
Higher education is not simply an investment. You can't run a cost / benefit on it and break it down financially.

Learning for the sake of learning is still important to some people.
Hold on a sec. I did not limit my definition of a cost-benefit analysis to something to only financial aspects. Yes, all relevant factors must be included, including other quantitative factors, qualitative factors, and intangibles. Lay them all out on the table. Recognize what is known and what isn't. Make your decision.

Where students have trouble is where they turning dream into facts and where they claim certainty where there is none.

S.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM

917 posts, read 2,436,704 times
Honestly, the only reason to do a Ph.D. in the humanities, or anything really, is if they're paying for you to do it. If you're not good enough to get funded, you probably shouldn't be doing a Ph.D. program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities