Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times

Advertisements

I'm really excited to start school this fall. I finally am doing it @ age 36 . I'm mad at myself for procrastinating soooo long but I'm excited to be actually taking the steps for my future . Its really nice to read everyone 's messages here. Encouraging!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to school mom View Post
I'm really excited to start school this fall. I finally am doing it @ age 36 . I'm mad at myself for procrastinating soooo long but I'm excited to be actually taking the steps for my future . Its really nice to read everyone 's messages here. Encouraging!
Good for you! Wishing you the best of luck. In my experience, mature students are more dedicated and generally excited about learning.

I wish you the best of luck! This will be a live altering experience.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
I am 28 going back to college for my AS in a health Science field. If you are lucky look for a college that has offer's flexible schedule for working student's. We only have 2 college's that offer working student program's/evening's part time

Old 01-25-2016, 03:54 PM

242 posts, read 262,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Any advice from anyone that has been in my shoes?

The smarts are there....My IQ is above average and I am highly motivated. I will be starting at a community college and working my way up to a University. Anything that I should avoid or be a bit more aggressive with at this point in my life? I will be meeting with a counselor soon. Any specific questions I should be asking them?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Congratulations! My mom started law school when I was a teen and now a lawyer long time. It is never too late. Besides 37 isn't old at all...at least here in Europe no one cares how old one is in Uni, the student body is diverse here.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
As a Comm. College instructor I get many non-traditional students, anywhere from 10 to 40% of the class (non-traditional is defined as 25 or older).

My biggest piece of advice is not to be embarrassed to ask a question that reveals you're not "wiser" than the younger traditional students. Older students are often well organized and motivated... but they can also be very embarrassed when they don't do well, preferring to drop rather than seek out help because they're ashamed. Don't do that.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Best of luck, and congrats on taking the step!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:11 AM

242 posts, read 251,270 times
Stumbled on this thread while exploring my options today. I'll be 33 soon and I'm thinking about starting college. I have orientation with the community college of Denver tomorrow.

I was a poor student in Highschool and I've always struggled with social anxiety but over the years I've learned to hide it fairly well unless I'm on a date. Ha

That said, I think I can succeed in college and I'm willing to put my career on hold to try. I currently do construction and it's 100% travel but pays well. I want to start doing a couple online classes until I'm considered a resident of Colorado then I'll go full time. I'm a project manager so I was thinking of going for Estimating/Const Management.

Was curious how things turned out for the OP and other posters ITT.

Seems like I'm 15 years behind the curve in every category or life but I guess you can only improve.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:39 PM

71 posts, read 44,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Stumbled on this thread while exploring my options today. I'll be 33 soon and I'm thinking about starting college. I have orientation with the community college of Denver tomorrow.

I was a poor student in Highschool and I've always struggled with social anxiety but over the years I've learned to hide it fairly well unless I'm on a date. Ha

That said, I think I can succeed in college and I'm willing to put my career on hold to try. I currently do construction and it's 100% travel but pays well. I want to start doing a couple online classes until I'm considered a resident of Colorado then I'll go full time. I'm a project manager so I was thinking of going for Estimating/Const Management.

Was curious how things turned out for the OP and other posters ITT.

Seems like I'm 15 years behind the curve in every category or life but I guess you can only improve.
I went back to college at age 30 and it was the best thing I ever did. As mentioned earlier in the thread, many younger students don't know how to be organised and keep ahead of the work. In my experience, this makes you stand out. You may even do so well that you never end up leaving which is kind of what I am looking at right now haha.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:45 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
I went back to school in my 40's and loved it. I felt I had an advantage because of my age. Those extra years of living life gives you that advantage. Congrats and enjoy!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 AM

76 posts, read 91,372 times
Are you going to school to:

1) look better on paper?
2) learn a new skill (basic)?
3) just want to learn?

College is sort of a rip off these days, but a needed rip off much of the time. Trade schools are a much better value for most men. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, welders, mechanics, machinists, etc all can easily make 60k/yr with many over 100k/yr.

Make sure the career you ultimately want is growing or at the least is steady and your degree will get you there!! Ultimately that is why most go to school to get a good or better job!

I like to read the OLD premeds forum where people matriculate to medschool in their late 30's or early 40's very encouraging!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities