Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 16,283 times

Advertisements

Well, I took my COMPASS placement exam. I placed in a highest English class I could, but geesshhhh....I did realllyyy bad in math. I was good at math long time ago! I just totally forgot how to do fractions and certain things! Ugghhh... That placed me in a basic math, but it's ok.

I am anxious to get this started! 19 more days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM

83 posts, read 194,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Any advice from anyone that has been in my shoes?

The smarts are there....My IQ is above average and I am highly motivated. I will be starting at a community college and working my way up to a University. Anything that I should avoid or be a bit more aggressive with at this point in my life? I will be meeting with a counselor soon. Any specific questions I should be asking them?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Avoid debt.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Totally agree introv78!

Lucky for me, CC is cheap. I took a payment plan from school. It basically charges my credit card $220 a month, which I pay right away.

So I wonder if OP finished school?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 AM

I guess OP doesn't come here any longer. Oh well.

I am starting my first classes tomorrow! I am super excited! The professor sent out an email with the Blackboard information. I logged on to it and I was very surprised how nicely it is laid out. I already looked in Week #1 Assignments lol... I started to read a book already, since I have to read chapters 1-2 and 9 for next week. Might as well get it all started

It's a weekend college, which basically crams everything on saturdays. I can already tell there will be A LOT of homework going on, but I am all up for it! My goal is to be on Dean's List every semester!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:07 PM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
Since this thread has been resurected, I guess I'll add on to it.

I just turned 50 and next week will start my third quarter of CC. I did meet alot of adults my first quarter but this past winter, omg. My anatomy/physiology class was all Running Start HIGH SCHOOL KIDS! I was like, "they're all KIDS!" Uncomfortable atmosphere at first, but we got on with each other by the end. Took the patience of a saint with the instructer treating everyone like they were in high school still.

My problem with school is overworking, lol! I go full time and tests and homework come up all the time so studying became a seven day a week thing. I had to cancel out on a lot of activities because I had school work to do. Classes were tough, so hopefully now that I'm out of math and science, things will get easier.

Great job to everyone who is going to school far into adulthood and best wishes to the OP.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My recommendation is don't make an issue telling others your intelligence level. Let them find out for themselves. It's tacky to be in conversation and work in, "I have a high IQ." It's fair to assume the classmate sitting in the next chair is reasonably intelligent or they probably wouldn't be there.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My recommendation is don't make an issue telling others your intelligence level. Let them find out for themselves. It's tacky to be in conversation and work in, "I have a high IQ." It's fair to assume the classmate sitting in the next chair is reasonably intelligent or they probably wouldn't be there.
I think that many older students who might say that just feel insecure about their ability to do college work. They may not have done well in HS for lots of reasons totally unrelated to intelligence, but the idea that they're not as "smart" as college grads sticks in the back of their minds.

Kudos to all the non-traditionals! I went back to college in my thirties (after getting an advanced degree in another field) to pick up some computer courses more than 30 years ago.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:37 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Any advice from anyone that has been in my shoes?

The smarts are there....My IQ is above average and I am highly motivated. I will be starting at a community college and working my way up to a University. Anything that I should avoid or be a bit more aggressive with at this point in my life? I will be meeting with a counselor soon. Any specific questions I should be asking them?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Congratulations and enjoy, Joe!

Mommabear said it: it's all about time management. And at age 37, you will probably find, as many "mature" students do, that you've got a major advantage in that regard compared to your younger peers.

Do NOT do as I often did as a freshman and sophomore in college, and that is leave assignments to the last minute (I was in my early 20s, and I learned my lesson). Don't procrastinate! Get a head start on all of your assignments, whether they be outlines, reading assignments, essays and research papers, or test/exam prep. Get to it ASAP.

All the best!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Ok so I went through my first day and I have to say, it was AWESOME! I love it! Everyone in my class are my age or little older (38). They are all there for the same reason - to obtain their degree. It's really really good. I have Business Law class and then Public Speaking. I LOVED Business Law class. It was very very interesting. Public speaking I can tell will be a lot of work. I already have to read Chapters 1, 2, 7 and 9 from the book. This class will require work.

Overall, I am very excited. It's setup in accelerated format, so I have two classes for 5 weeks, then move on to next session in the semester for next 2 classes for 5 weeks and finally session 3 for 5 weeks, so semester is 15 weeks, saturdays only. It's awesome!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM

2 more weeks to go and I am done with first session! I have to say, it is awesome. Time goes by quick and I am really enjoying it! There is lots of homework to do, but it's not too bad. After May 3rd, I will have 10 more Saturdays to go and first semester is done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities