Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 AM

2,432 posts, read 3,828,306 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions of D.A.H. Degrees in relation to Ph.D's and Ed.D's?

Doctor of Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,267,150 times
I like this idea and think it is likely to gain more traction going forward as the quality of Bachelor degrees dilute and there is more demand for higher credentials.

That said, I have no idea how popular this degree actually is or how the market treats such a degree. If you are ahead of the curve, you may be punished for it.

I would be interested to read the opinions of others who have come across such a degree as an employer or from those with this degree.

However, I see the use of an advanced terminal degree in the sciences and applied math rather than in the Humanities. Increases in technology and numerical applications require ever better preparation. Something beyond the MS can be useful.

However, I cannot see the usefulness of a D.A. in the Humanities. Help me see this.

Good thread.

S.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 01-29-2010 at 04:16 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,372,410 times
I don't think it'd be viewed too well by the academic community.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,300,411 times
I don't think many people know that the D.A. (or similar degrees) exist, therefore, people don't understand them and/or think they are worthless. I have a D.M.A. and most people say "Oh, you mean you have a Ph.D.?"

Regarding its usefulness: I am currently a university instructor. It is nearly impossible to be competitive for jobs in my field unless you have the terminal degree. Heck, it's hard to be competitive even with the degree!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
It is nearly impossible to be competitive for jobs in my field unless you have the terminal degree.
I am confused. Did you mean a doctorate?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,822,546 times
What is your goal?

Most of the people I've met who get PhDs in liberal arts hope to get a tenure track job. If that is what you want to do I would think that anything other then a productive PhD from a great school is going to limit your possibilities. The people hiring for those jobs self-select people in their own image. Unfortunately, a lot of those people have self-images that are defined by their achievements.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I am confused. Did you mean a doctorate?
In my field, yes, the doctorate is the terminal degree. For other fields, it may be different.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,019,887 times
Sorta silly, a glorified masters degree.

Also, I don't see why this would be any more useful in the Humanities as it would in Science or anything else really.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sorta silly, a glorified masters degree.

Also, I don't see why this would be any more useful in the Humanities as it would in Science or anything else really.
LOL!

Most undergrad degrees issued in the US are crap. Masters are increasingly so. There is always room in the sciences for increasingly advanced coursework for which the vast majority of undergraduates are woefully under qualified and underskilled.

Even If you look at the first two years of engineering at better universities, the curriculum is virtually unchanged in 30+ years, despite remarkable advances in science and computation.

Most Master's program do not tackle more theoretically challenging material.

Therefore the gap between most BS and MS programs and the material tackled by PhDs is growing.

Most PhD's at the top schools are 5-7 years in duration, further expanding the gap.

If current BS and MS programs were more rigorous, then the gap would be smaller and perhaps there would be less reason for another type of degree.

S.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Having worked and studied in my field for almost 40 years, I know that many people see the word "art" and think "useless," or "not academic." Do you have any idea what kind of work (and how much of it) goes into the doctoral level of study? It's not just smiles and good times, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities