Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

What happened to feminism? The women interviewed in this article must have missed that whole chapter in American history, along with a good dose of common sense or self-respect. They'd seriously rather have a cheating boyfriend than no boyfriend?

And most colleges don't exist in a void; granted, it's easier to meet people on campus, but aren't these women getting out and about in the community, besides the bar, that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Underemployment rates upon graduation (for males/females) are strikingly high at any lib arts college in world

Most high achievers are in male-dominated fields of study like engineering or finance and enter male-dominated industries like tech or finance; quickly depart from any college town to major epicenters like Manhattan or SiliconValley to pursue their careers; and marriage (or even a regular gf/bf) is often not a priority for most high achievers until 10+ yrs post-grad (if at all in modern world)....and, by then, questions of pre-nups, etc loom large...and they keep making (every yr) new, ~25yo hotties (often allegedly marketing professionals in tech or finance industries) who aspire to marry money, often ~40yo workaholics who are semi-retired

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
What happened to feminism? The women interviewed in this article must have missed that whole chapter in American history, along with a good dose of common sense or self-respect.
Feminism is about equal opportunity for women. How is a women choosing to have a hound dog for a boyfriend inconsistent with her desire to have an equal shot at life's professional, economic, and social opportunities? Empowerment means being able to make decisions for oneself and not being constrained by the sermonizing of people who sneer at meeting guys in bars. It's her life, her body, her choice.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Good point, it is her choice. Women do have the choice to date losers. The general vibe of the article was not about empowerment for women or choice, though; it was about all these women (I hope a small minority of women) who felt they lacked empowerment. They feel forced to do certain things to get or hold on to a man. And while certainly no one is forcing these women to accept this way of looking at things, there does seem -- among the women interviewed, at least -- at least an internal perception of no choice. That puts it in a different category than the government or a workplace telling a woman what she can or can't do, but I still think it counts as a problem if large numbers of college women really do think like many of the women quoted in this article. The article is all about how these women think they DON'T have an equal shot at social opportunities, and that the men get to call all the shots when it comes to relationships. I guess what really frustrates me is that some of these women don't seem to understand that they are making choices. I'll try not make a judgement call on their choice, but it is their choice. Enough with the passive blaming of ratios or other factors.

I don't care about meeting men at bars, by the way. There's nothing wrong with that. I do sneer at women (or men) who seem to think that meeting people in one venue (whether that's a bar, in the classroom, at church, wherever) is the only option, and then complain about a limited dating pool. It might be limited, but it's self-limited.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 02-09-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,415 times
Because most men are stupid.

And of the men in college, most of them are gay.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 AM

122 posts, read 202,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Doesn't suprise me.

Look at the alternatives to college after high school.

Trades (Auto, Caprenter, Construction, Plumber etc..)..... Male dominated

Military.......Male dominated

Civil Service (police, fire).....Male dominated
that's what i keep saying. men have many different avenues to achieve financial comfort and independence. women, not so much. your everyday non-formally educated secretary or cashier doesn't make 35-40k.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Like others said..this is just at liberal arts colleges go to a technical school or a school that's known for engineering or something and it's like 80 percent men. The guys at the liberal arts schools definitely are a little lucky and have an advantage so if you're a woman I would be careful of guys just wanting to play the field and sleep with your whole sorority. Like I said though at some schools there is hardly any single women at all and there's like 40 guys competing for the one cutie that's single. I wouldn't feel too bad for the young ladies if they play their cards right when they hit 25 a good single woman is in huge demand since women start marrying right after college and the pool of available single women starts to get smaller.

Women generally like to get into education, social work, counseling, things like that. When you are around age 20 there is no shortage of single people it doesn't matter what gender you are. If they aren't at the school you go to they're probably at another school somewhere near you in the same city. Just go to hot spots that are not around your campus and you'll meet plenty members of the opposite sex. At the traditional college age this stuff is nothing to worry about wait until you're 30 and everyone has 3 ex-husbands or 4 kids :d. Guys at the liberal arts schools - enjoy it while you can, and you better snag up a good one while you are there and keep her...it only gets harder after college. You'll never have a bigger pool of single women than when you are in college unless you're at one of the 80 percent men tech schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities