U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 9,184,796 times

Advertisements

A lot of people seem to think if your parents pay for college that's a bad thing. They stereotype you as someone that gets bad grades and does nothing but party because they think you don't care since you don't have to pay. My parents are paying but that doesn't describe me. I have a 3.7 and don't drink. If anything, them paying helps me appreciate what an opportunity I have because if I had to pay I probably wouldn't go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM

4,805 posts, read 18,460,357 times
People get stereotyped for any number of things for the same reason--because the stereotype describes the majority.

And even with good grades and not drinking, you are still not working as hard as someone who does all of those things AND pays their own way. The very fact that 'if you had to pay, you wouldn't go to college' proves exactly the stereotype--people who pay their own way want it bad enough they are willing to work and sacrifice for it, rather than have it handed to them.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM

33,061 posts, read 34,751,615 times
Stereotypes may describe the majority, or they may describe a particularly visible or noticeable segment of a particular group that's not actually the majority, but just seems that way.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM

2,261 posts, read 4,872,145 times
The stereotypes may be a reflection of other people whose parents paid the way and they took the experience for granted. I spent my first two years of undergrad at a well-respected public Southern university which has become quite competitive. A lot of those students whose parents paid for everything had really nice cars, shopped a lot, joined fraternities and sororities and really took advantage of the social aspect of college and didn't really care about classes. I had very little respect for that demographic because I had to work my behind off for scholarships and I had to apply for loans and grants to pay my way--to see people my age blowing the experience off was very unnerving to me. You seem to be doing the right thing, but a lot of people who have helped to solidify the stereotype you mention are basically spoiled brats who never had to work for anything.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 PM

770 posts, read 636,425 times
Jealousy.

Many people are forced to play games with themselves to find a reason to get out of bed in the morning. They say things like "my crap jobs taught me xyz life lesson that the rich kids can't get blah blah blah." Or "Being poor has taught me xyz" blah blah blah. But most aren't dumb enough to believe it. It's just an exercise at attempting self-justification for having to do things that suck for an extended periods of time, while others don't have to.

Just jealousy. Nothing layered.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 AM

2,144 posts, read 3,134,962 times
^This.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 AM

2,144 posts, read 3,134,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
The stereotypes may be a reflection of other people whose parents paid the way and they took the experience for granted. I spent my first two years of undergrad at a well-respected public Southern university which has become quite competitive. A lot of those students whose parents paid for everything had really nice cars, shopped a lot, joined fraternities and sororities and really took advantage of the social aspect of college and didn't really care about classes. I had very little respect for that demographic because I had to work my behind off for scholarships and I had to apply for loans and grants to pay my way--to see people my age blowing the experience off was very unnerving to me. You seem to be doing the right thing, but a lot of people who have helped to solidify the stereotype you mention are basically spoiled brats who never had to work for anything.
What else would they do? Work harder than they need to, just to make you more confident that you were doing the right thing by studying as much as you did?

Working harder than everyone else for the same result might help you sleep at night, but unless you're a white guy in the NBA, it ain't worth much in the real world.

Also, don't brake for tailgaters. You'll cause an accident. Just let the guy pass.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 AM

28,423 posts, read 34,412,393 times
How does anyone know how your tuition is paid?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 AM

14,331 posts, read 18,045,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A lot of people seem to think if your parents pay for college that's a bad thing. They stereotype you as someone that gets bad grades and does nothing but party because they think you don't care since you don't have to pay. My parents are paying but that doesn't describe me. I have a 3.7 and don't drink. If anything, them paying helps me appreciate what an opportunity I have because if I had to pay I probably wouldn't go to college.
One thing to look forward to as you age is the immense comfort and fulfillment you feel in not caring what other people think about how you conduct your life. Develop this attitude now and you will be ahead of the game.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,707,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
My guess is that if you are falling prey to the stereotype, then it is likely the case that your behavior corresponds in some way to the stereotype.

If you were in college busting your "balls," then you would be on the receiving end of different labeling: "well no wonder he/she can work so hard, Mommy & Daddy are footing the bill."

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities