Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't get it, if he can understand one way and get the anwsers correctly why does it matter?

That instructor sounds like a douche. But some are like that.
If this were an english assignment and the student wanted to submit a paper that didn't meet the requirements--length, voice, resources, topic--would you say the same thing? That it doesn't matter that he doesn't fulfill the assignment, so long as he wrote a paper?

If it were an art assignment and the student didn't want to use the media or subject required, would you say the same thing? That it doesn't matter so long as he creates something?

I doubt it. The student is required to meet the requirements of the assignment because that is what the professor--and the university--say is what is required to demonstrate mastery of the material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I don't get it, if he can understand one way and get the anwsers correctly why does it matter?

That instructor sounds like a douche. But some are like that.
Well, most likely the professor isn't a douche but is trying to instill a PROCESS for doing the problems since there is probably something later on in the material that will require you to use this process to solve the problem or it won't work. Math is kind of funny that way.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, most likely the professor isn't a douche but is trying to instill a PROCESS for doing the problems since there is probably something later on in the material that will require you to use this process to solve the problem or it won't work. Math is kind of funny that way.
Bingo. If he's in college now, he's not due any special treatment. Pass the class, or fail. Drop or repeat. I don't care, but if you can't fulfill the same requirements as I do to get to the same place I'm going, then I sure as heck don't want to be competing for a job. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If this were an english assignment and the student wanted to submit a paper that didn't meet the requirements--length, voice, resources, topic--would you say the same thing? That it doesn't matter that he doesn't fulfill the assignment, so long as he wrote a paper?

If it were an art assignment and the student didn't want to use the media or subject required, would you say the same thing? That it doesn't matter so long as he creates something?

I doubt it. The student is required to meet the requirements of the assignment because that is what the professor--and the university--say is what is required to demonstrate mastery of the material.

I have to agree.

I struggled to write for an English class, after writing philosophy papers for the longest time. It's both writing, but different ways. I learned a different way and now I'm better because of it.

Plus you have to sometimes learn to perform for the teacher as much as the material.

And there is something to be said about doing the work that leads to the answer rather than the importance of the answer itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities