U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM

70 posts, read 240,359 times

Advertisements

I mean, if I apply to a program that emphasizes composition, will I still be able to teach literature in the future?

Which one offers me the most options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,895,247 times
Are you going to get a teaching credential through this same school? Someone at the school should be able to advise you.

In most states, if you don't have a degree in the subject you want to teach, you can take an exam (like the Praxis).

If you want to teach high school, you would need to be certified in secondary English. The credential will not specify whether it is composition or literature. (Check to see if this is true in your state.)

In my opinion, composition will be more useful than literature. If you study too much literature, you will drive your students crazy and ruin all the good books for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 PM

917 posts, read 1,771,406 times
Teach at which level?

For high school or below, you'll need a teaching credential at most schools. Your MA will probably give you a salary bump, but it usually won't matter if it's in lit or composition.

For college level teaching, you'll need a Ph.D.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM

70 posts, read 240,359 times
Community college.

In California, you just need a Master's to teach community college and some lower level University courses....

Hmmm maybe I should post this in the California section

I suppose high school is another option, but I believe it would only make me eligible for private high schools in CA

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Even at the CC level in CA (which is where I'm from), it's tough to get a teaching job with just an MA. A lot of Ph.D.s are now being forced to teach at CCs because there just aren't enough jobs available at the university level. Seriously consider a Ph.D. not only for the qualification, but because a lot of Ph.D. programs fund their students by having them teach undergrads.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,275,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Even at the CC level in CA (which is where I'm from), it's tough to get a teaching job with just an MA. A lot of Ph.D.s are now being forced to teach at CCs because there just aren't enough jobs available at the university level. Seriously consider a Ph.D. not only for the qualification, but because a lot of Ph.D. programs fund their students by having them teach undergrads.
I've noticed the opposite at my college. There are professors here with a Master's Degree because they can't find enough people with a PhD. But they probably need a PhD to get tenure.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 PM

I lived not far from LA (and several large universities with an abundance of grad students), so my guess is that the market where I lived was over saturated. I know when my dad was looking to teach while working on his Ph.D., he wasn't considered for anything within an hour of where we lived. He finally got one class that was an hour and a half drive each way up in the High Desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've noticed the opposite at my college. There are professors here with a Master's Degree because they can't find enough people with a PhD. But they probably need a PhD to get tenure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities