U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:31 AM

35,550 posts, read 38,426,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Untrue. I never took one math course as an undergraduate. I took statistics as a grad student.
My wife took one math class as an undergrad.

What any student, returning or not need to focus on is writing.

I hate when people perpetuate lies that may well keep some people from returning to college.

There are still many colleges that do not require mathematics in order to graduate. My children attend two of them. In general, the better the college, the more likely they are to permit latitude in class selection.
I didn't take any math as an undergrad, either, and at a very good school. It wasn't an integral part of my major, and our gen ed requirements were set up in such a way that we could choose from a pretty wide range of STEM- related coursework to fulfill that category. I took all science classes to fulfill those, v. math.

My graduate program involves statistics as part of the research design and analysis component, but that's all. It's the only university level mathematics coursework I've ever had to take, and is completely appropriate to my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM

2,698 posts, read 3,066,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I have to point out that statistics is math and it's probably the best math for someone involved in any of the social science type majors. My daughter had to take two stats classes in grad school and found them extremely helpful in her career. IMHO, that's the class that most non-stem people should be taking. Her grad school, btw, has been rated the #1 school in the country for her major, so they must be doing something right.

That's why I said except statistics. Math purists and the STEM crowd might disagree. But I would agree that it is math.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:54 PM

2,698 posts, read 3,066,108 times
I just do not want any returning students or nontraditional students to be scared off by math requirements.

Not all schools have them and not all majors require them. It's true that statics is required for most social sciences - psych, soc, and political science.

However, many colleges do not have a college wide math requirement. Usually the better the college the less distribution requirements. Except for state universities.

I've always stuck with private colleges. More latitude in general.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Stop wasting your time about yesterdays. You can only take on today and plan for tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
I'm working on my BS at my 30s.. By the time I graduate I will be 32 . It's the best decision I ever made. I felt accomplished that I did the right thing.
My grades were so much better and I feel like I'm ahead of everyone ..

Old 11-05-2016, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 1,344 times
I am going for my associate's and in the future a bachelor's starting in 2017. I am very glad that I got the ball rolling. To OP and all those nervous because they are starting college later in life, it will be ok. Don't let your doubts get in the way of your goals.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:22 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,849,458 times
Would you rather complete your degree in your 30's or reach your 30's and wish you had completed your degree?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 149 times
I'm 33 and I have a bachelors degree in economics from.my home country Cameroon. I had my Bsc at 21....I worked for two years and at 23...I travelled to Finland and and a post graduate degree in international project management at 24 on 25. Since then ...I'm now 33....so that's like 8yrs on....I have not had a any relevant work experience in my field of studies. I have had a family...two kids and now...I decided to go back to school. But I felt so incompetent ....felt i cannot go in for a masters degree as I barely had any work experience in my field of study...I decided to apply for both bachelors and masters courses...now I have been offered a Bsc course in International Business ....I am still waiting for other offers for the masters programs to which i applied. Now I am faced with a big question, of wether I should take up a second bachelors degree or just go for a masters , if offered a study place. Considering my low work portfolio, what advice can you give me.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 AM

70,933 posts, read 62,045,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene4love View Post
I'm 33 and I have a bachelors degree in economics from.my home country Cameroon. I had my Bsc at 21....I worked for two years and at 23...I travelled to Finland and and a post graduate degree in international project management at 24 on 25. Since then ...I'm now 33....so that's like 8yrs on....I have not had a any relevant work experience in my field of studies. I have had a family...two kids and now...I decided to go back to school. But I felt so incompetent ....felt i cannot go in for a masters degree as I barely had any work experience in my field of study...I decided to apply for both bachelors and masters courses...now I have been offered a Bsc course in International Business ....I am still waiting for other offers for the masters programs to which i applied. Now I am faced with a big question, of wether I should take up a second bachelors degree or just go for a masters , if offered a study place. Considering my low work portfolio, what advice can you give me.
I don't think the lack of relevant work experience would be a factor, considering that many BA-grads go directly into MA business programs, without work experience. Maybe some business programs favor students with relevant work experience, I don't know. You'll find out soon enough, I imagine.

Where are you? Still in Finland/Europe?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM

324 posts, read 84,058 times
Eh... college isnt worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities