Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,037,727 times

Advertisements

Life is a race to nowhere. It matters little how 'late' you are, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:26 PM

5 posts, read 4,793 times
right now, I am planning to go somewhere out there but not near in Asia, because I want to try the education abroad. For now I'm looking for specific programs that can meet my goals in life. learning is great, especially if its a daily basis. but one of my problem is being homesick since I've been living with my family. Studying again lets say in your late 30's gives us the edge of experiencing and learning stuffs with better people, and more experienced one.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:10 PM

543 posts, read 997,386 times
My father was finishing his BA when I was in high school. There's nothing wrong with getting a degree past the age of 30 (he was 37 then).

Old 09-14-2015, 05:15 PM

424 posts, read 427,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Anybody here gotten a degree in there 30's? If I continue to go to college I will be in my 30's. It's sometimes hard to stick with it because I see so many people I went to high school with already getting there masters and I'm still suck on an associates in progress.

I know I'll be better off than not having one at all but I always wish I could have been that guy that got his degree at 22-23 and ended up being some big shot by the time I'm 28 at some big company. I know that's a far fetched dream and I'm not mad I am not in that position. But knowing I'll be 33 or 34 just before I get my bachelors is sometimes hard to deal with.

The one thing that has helped me realize it's okay is that for my generation I'll probably be working till I'm almost 70. So one way to think about it is that if I get my degree at 35, I would have graduated college over 35 years ago when I retire.
I didn't get my Bachelor's degree until I was 37. Actually, it was only about five weeks before my 38th b-day.

I did attend college briefly on a baseball scholarship when I was 19. For two years, or actually, two seasons! Baseball was my priority and I rarely cracked a book. just enough to stay off of academic probation! LOL.

Then I played minor league ball for seven years. When I retired, I got a job coaching at the JuCo level, and that's when I decided to get a degree in Sports & Exercise Science. Basically, a glorified P.E degree.

I minored in Psych while I was doing all that, and now am taking some grad school classes and aim to take my MA in Psych in a couple years. I'll be 45 by then.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,818,843 times
In terms of getting a degree after a particular AGE, well, it depends on what you plan on doing with said degree to determine if there's still an available ROI to be acquired.

For example, does it make sense to be age 65 and go after a degree of any sort? Even a PhD? How are you going to have enough time to recoup the ROI on it especially if you are paying out of pocket? A PhD from a decent program will run at least $50,000 - $60,000.

So it depends on what the degree is for, how it fits into career planning, what field the person is in, etc. College degrees matter MOST for people my age because we usually have less than 15 - 20 years of professional work experience within a particular field. When you have a WEALTH of experience like that and have done significant things within the industry, people usually can give a damn about what degree you have at that point. But when you have less than 10 years of professional experience, the degree (I prefer a master's degree) does wonders to get you in doors.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,214,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If you want any type of degree you have to have math. It is part of the basics. I had to take intermediate Algebra last semester and I am on online College Algebra now. It is tough. I sucked in Math too in HS. But I just sit there until I get it. I use tools from the internet to help me.
Untrue. I never took one math course as an undergraduate. I took statistics as a grad student.
My wife took one math class as an undergrad.

What any student, returning or not need to focus on is writing.

I hate when people perpetuate lies that may well keep some people from returning to college.

There are still many colleges that do not require mathematics in order to graduate. My children attend two of them. In general, the better the college, the more likely they are to permit latitude in class selection.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,818,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Untrue. I never took one math course as an undergraduate. I took statistics as a grad student.

I hate when people perpetuate lies that may well keep some people from returning to college.

There are still many colleges that do not require mathematics in order to graduate. My children attend two of them. In general, the better the college, the more likely they are to permit latitude in class selection.
But why would you WANT a degree with no Math involved? Talk about worthless.......

Old 09-15-2015, 01:37 AM

23,905 posts, read 32,221,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
But why would you WANT a degree with no Math involved? Talk about worthless.......
Harvard doesn't agree.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,469,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

For example, does it make sense to be age 65 and go after a degree of any sort? Even a PhD? How are you going to have enough time to recoup the ROI on it especially if you are paying out of pocket? A PhD from a decent program will run at least $50,000 - $60,000.
Many public schools offer free tuition to seniors, actually.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,399,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

I have to point out that statistics is math and it's probably the best math for someone involved in any of the social science type majors. My daughter had to take two stats classes in grad school and found them extremely helpful in her career. IMHO, that's the class that most non-stem people should be taking. Her grad school, btw, has been rated the #1 school in the country for her major, so they must be doing something right.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities