Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,595,028 times

Advertisements

California being California, it's only natural that the powers that be want to socially engineer a future elite that's racially mixed (not just white or asian). Whether that's a proper goal for public education is certainly debatable and even 32 yrs after the Bakke decision, we still haven't reconciled the competing desires for race-blind equality versus helping the marginalized.

But given the right-leaning nature of today's Supreme Court and the fact that Prop 209 has withstood unchallenged all these years, I highly doubt the plaintiffs will make any headway with their suit. Moreover, there are a much higher number of American-born asians than the pre-209 era, who're vocal & net/new media-savvy & won't be pushed aside & silenced.

I'm not really surprised that this suit is emerging right now given California's intractable budget crisis & deep cuts to education from K to post-graduate. Blacks and hispanics realize that the college level is the only real way to achieve parity since local school district dollars are restricted by Prop 13. I think from the late 90's through the mid-00's they were placated by the billion-dollar investment to reduce class sizes, but now that funds have dried up & overcrowding is rearing it's head again, they're clamoring for a bigger share of a smaller pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,152,847 times
I don't believe in purely blind admissions, but I also don't agree that more minorities (outside of Asians) should be admitted to UCLA simply to fill a quota. I do understand that these quotas would be filled by students who qualify for admissions, but:

Out of all of the minorities who graduate from a Californian high school, how many are applying to UCLA? And out of those, how many are being admitted? Is the ratio of those being admitted vs total applications (per minority group) consistent, or are these numbers low, too?

And, how many minorities from out-of-state are applying? What are their numbers with acceptances?

Not to mention, how many were accepted who ultimately choose to go elsewhere?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,328,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't believe in purely blind admissions, but I also don't agree that more minorities (outside of Asians) should be admitted to UCLA simply to fill a quota. I do understand that these quotas would be filled by students who qualify for admissions, but:

Out of all of the minorities who graduate from a Californian high school, how many are applying to UCLA? And out of those, how many are being admitted? Is the ratio of those being admitted vs total applications (per minority group) consistent, or are these numbers low, too?

And, how many minorities from out-of-state are applying? What are their numbers with acceptances?

Not to mention, how many were accepted who ultimately choose to go elsewhere?

I don't believe in quotas. I don't think they should admit minorities just to fill some spots. But to answer your questions:

I'll have to look upp the data. but those numbers are low. And to answer the third question, a portion of those admitted are deciding to attend other colleges.

To answer the second question, ANY out-of-state students that apply to the UCs have practically no chance of being admitted, especially to Berkeley and UCLA. Like, getting into Berkeley out-of-state is essentially like applying to most of the Ivy League. I think the exception is to be a recruited athlete.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,152,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I don't believe in quotas. I don't think they should admit minorities just to fill some spots. But to answer your questions:

I'll have to look upp the data. but those numbers are low. And to answer the third question, a portion of those admitted are deciding to attend other colleges.

To answer the second question, ANY out-of-state students that apply to the UCs have practically no chance of being admitted, especially to Berkeley and UCLA. Like, getting into Berkeley out-of-state is essentially like applying to most of the Ivy League. I think the exception is to be a recruited athlete.
If you are willing to look into it, that would be cool. I was asking because the few articles that I read on the situation said something to the effect that there is simply not a proportionate amount of black students at UCLA in comparison to the population (of both UCLA and LA County). I am curious if the reason for this is truly because of Prop 209 or if there is either A) a small amount of black students who apply in total, or B) a good number of black students who apply who simply do not meet the admissions criteria. I guess that there is a C), too, which is; both.

I've said this a few times, I was born and raised in California. For me, it is no secret that UCs highly favor California residents over everyone else. I suspect that a part of the reason for this is that years ago there was legislation passed that dedicated something like 20 or 30% of the states budget to higher education. If so much of the state's budget is going to these schools, it would make sense that they would prefer their own residents as students.

When I lived in Minnesota, I knew a girl who went to one of the best private schools in the state form K to 10th grade. She spent her Junior and Senior years at a well-respected public high school. She was being groomed for the Ivy League, but had her heart set on UCB. In a nutshell, UCB told her to not even bother applying as a Minnesota resident, but, it would be to her advantage to move to California and attend a community college for a year or two first and apply as a transfer student.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,265,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Admissions should be based on straight academics, where would we be as a country if anyone could become president? Affirmative action is preposterous, I am an Asian male that graduated from UC Irvine, I got accepted there because I worked hard. It isn’t fair that someone who earns a whole grade point lower than I did gets accepted just because they are black, white, brown, purple, yellow or red. It should be based solely on academics and extracurricular/community activities. You don’t see the IOC handing out gold medals to countries just because they want it to be evenly distributed do you? Gold medalists earn their gold medals because of their countless hours practice and dedication.
Question: did you go to an overcrowded and underfunded school? If they do what you suggest that means that many dumbazz rich kids (Bush) would never get in either. Yes, the rich have their own affirmative action, it is called MONEY! Also take out quite a few athletes b/c we all know that most of them are not Rhoades Scholars anyway....by the way that won't happen either b/c the university needs those big tv deals. So I suggest that if you want to go to a pretty much empty broke college just let it go.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,265,027 times
End Affirmative Action when institutionized racism ends! Until everyone is on an even playing field quit sniveling! Oh yeah, if so many of you non-blacks have such a hard time with AA, you know your chances of getting into a predominatly black college are remarkably higher. I guess that you did not know AA works both ways!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 AM

287 posts, read 545,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Question: did you go to an overcrowded and underfunded school? If they do what you suggest that means that many dumbazz rich kids (Bush) would never get in either. Yes, the rich have their own affirmative action, it is called MONEY! Also take out quite a few athletes b/c we all know that most of them are not Rhoades Scholars anyway....by the way that won't happen either b/c the university needs those big tv deals. So I suggest that if you want to go to a pretty much empty broke college just let it go.
Yes, I'm a product of the horrid LAUSD that was fortunately able to go on and graduate from a UC. I was one of the few Asian-Americans in a predominately Hispanic school. I faced a lot of adversity and discrimination from those that consider themselves oppressed when they themselves can be the oppressors. I didn't grow up in a wealthy community. My father left my family when I was in middle school. I worked my but off in high-school. Why should African-Americans and Hispanics be given preferential treatment? I grew up in a poor environment as well and I know other Asian Americans and Caucasians that grew up in the same environment that I went through.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
End Affirmative Action when institutionized racism ends! Until everyone is on an even playing field quit sniveling! Oh yeah, if so many of you non-blacks have such a hard time with AA, you know your chances of getting into a predominatly black college are remarkably higher. I guess that you did not know AA works both ways!
Like I said, it's also important to realize that the oppressed can easily become the oppressors. Racism is multi-directional. I could give you my own personal anecdotes (being attacked by Hispanic and black students by virtue of being Asian American, being threatened with death at gunpoint by a Hispanic person), but I'll give you these links instead:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ho...ila__High.html (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20091204_Asian_students_under_attack_at_S__Phila__ High.html - broken link)

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...-79162377.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/a...th_Philly.html

Funny how this never hit CNN? Ask yourself, if these students were black, would it make the headlines? Absolutely.

Both the principal (who stepped down recently) and the superintendent (both black) refuse the acknowledge the gravity and racial dimension of the attack.

There is a clear double standard, don't you think?

URM are victims, but so are ORM and white students. The world is never as simple as we'd like to believe it is.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
If you look at the less competitive UCs (Santa Cruz, Riverside), you'll see a much higher minority representation. I am half mexican (with a hispanic surname) but I got into the top UCs because I had the grades and test scores to be competitive- my grades and test scores placed me in the top percentile in CA. I went to a crappy high school that had the only decent honors program in the city. If you were in that program (which only had maybe 60 kids from across the city), you could get into a UC without a lot of problems. Most of my classmates (primarily minorities) had no problem getting into UCB, UCLA, etc. because they had the grades and test scores to be competitive in the applicant pool. The students outside of the honors program, regardless of race, didn't get into the UCs because our school was so bad. I used to tutor in high school and many of the kids I worked with were functionally illiterate! I don't mean they read at a 6th grade level in high school, I mean a first or second grade level. You can cry racism all you want, but if the kids can't do the work, they can't do the work. Because we lived in an economically depressed area, the school was severely underfunded. That was compounded with living in an area where academics were seen as unimportant- by students and their parents.

To get into the UC system, you don't have to write any essays or have good extracurriculuars- those things only matter when it comes into getting into individual schools. To get into the UC System, you simply have to take the right classes (which are the general recommendations anyway) and do halfway decent on the SATs. The bar is quite low because getting into the system doesn't guarantee which college you'll get into. If minorities feel they are underrepresented, they need to be encouraging their students to meet the fairly easy requirements of the UC system, not ask them to lower the standards.
This.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,060,546 times
Quote:
I guess you don't know that we don't care if AA works both ways. We do not want to get something merely because of the color of our skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities