Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is still AA, and until racism is offically ended in this country there should be AA. What is never mentioned is that AA is not needed everywhere but in some places it is. A study on hiring/admission practices should be done in order to rectify many of the obvious disparities
Paying to get in is not AA. Wealthy people of any color can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Quote:
It is still AA, and until racism is offically ended in this country there should be AA. What is never mentioned is that AA is not needed everywhere but in some places it is. A study on hiring/admission practices should be done in order to rectify many of the obvious disparities
What good does it do anybody to let in a minority who is not qualified? They will struggle with the work and many of them will drop out.- this is not true just of minorities, but any student who ends up in an academic situation over their head.

Now, if you are talking about revamping the K-12 system, then yes, maybe more attention should be paid to poorly performing schools which tend to be full of minorities. The minorities who are competitive to their white counterparts are getting into top schools. I went to a top liberal arts college and I'll be attending an Ivy for grad school- I'm half Mexican with a Hispanic surname and dark features- anyone who saw me or my name would correctly assume my ethnicity. However, I didn't need affirmative action to get into college- I had parents who had a vested interest in my education who fought to get me into the one decent honors program in my city. I had the same test scores and grades as my affluent white counterparts. If I had gone to my assigned high school, I would not have done nearly as well because I would not have had the academic foundation to do well in a competitive setting. This disparity needs to be addressed before college, not at the point of admission.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Many of the race issues in California schools are very localized, though. It's partially gang and partially race in most cases. My ex-roommate from college had an almost riot at her high school between blacks and Hispanics one day. The next day SWAT was on campus to make sure nothing happened that day. From what she said it was pretty bad. However, these usually don't make the news. Now, if the near riot had been between whites and blacks it would have been all over the news. We all know who would have been blamed.

After the Rodney King trial there were obviously the riots. Whites were dragged from cars and beaten, but that didn't make the news. One guy was almost killed. I believe there was a brick involved.

We didn't really have these issues where I went to school. Most groups included whites, Hispanics, and Asians. My city didn't have many blacks, so most groups didn't have any.

Yes, we have had some problems. In the city I grew up in, the Vietnamese I believe had to sue many many years ago in order to get into the district schools. Well, that's what my dad said.
I spent a couple of weeks in California (high desert) and marveled at the racial diversity, I guess everything is not always what it seems.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
What good does it do anybody to let in a minority who is not qualified? They will struggle with the work and many of them will drop out.- this is not true just of minorities, but any student who ends up in an academic situation over their head.

Now, if you are talking about revamping the K-12 system, then yes, maybe more attention should be paid to poorly performing schools which tend to be full of minorities. The minorities who are competitive to their white counterparts are getting into top schools. I went to a top liberal arts college and I'll be attending an Ivy for grad school- I'm half Mexican with a Hispanic surname and dark features- anyone who saw me or my name would correctly assume my ethnicity. However, I didn't need affirmative action to get into college- I had parents who had a vested interest in my education who fought to get me into the one decent honors program in my city. I had the same test scores and grades as my affluent white counterparts. If I had gone to my assigned high school, I would not have done nearly as well because I would not have had the academic foundation to do well in a competitive setting. This disparity needs to be addressed before college, not at the point of admission.
How do you know? If you have an ethnic surname and features how do you know that you did not "bump" some white or asian kid? Don't be fooled just b/c your scores were high that still does not mean that they were the highest. Trust me if your scores were the same as a white kid applying to the same school you would be given the "nod" over that person. Oh and by the way for you to assume that all minorities that have benefited from AA is not qualified for that slot or job you are wrong! There are plenty of qualified minorities that if AA is abolished would never get a chance to prove it. Quit sounding like a pizz off white guy that did not get hired b/c a black guy got the job!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Not true! It was not until recently that blacks were allowed into certain golf courses eventhough many of them were millionaires.

Also for the record AA has benefited more whitewomen than any other group of people! Do you still want to protest?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
There is no uproar because he didn't get in because of his race. He got in because of his family and money. Sure, if he weren't white he wouldn't have had legacy. However, it also isn't a government policy.
But it was the government's "policy" to enslave a group of people and continue to demonize them (check out other post regarding blacks) and not provide any form of repreparations unlike the Japanese, Jews, Native Americans and even the germans who also suffered under this governmental "policy".

And regarding Bush, if he was black he would have NEVER been elected to the presidency! Especially for dodging the war, alcholism, business failures, and just for being stupid in general.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Quote:
How do you know? If you have an ethnic surname and features how do you know that you did not "bump" some white or asian kid? Don't be fooled just b/c your scores were high that still does not mean that they were the highest. Trust me if your scores were the same as a white kid applying to the same school you would be given the "nod" over that person. Oh and by the way for you to assume that all minorities that have benefited from AA is not qualified for that slot or job you are wrong! There are plenty of qualified minorities that if AA is abolished would never get a chance to prove it. Quit sounding like a pizz off white guy that did not get hired b/c a black guy got the job!
I was in the 75% percentile of my class in college for SAT scores, meaning I scored better than 75% of my white, asian, black and hispanic classmates. I had a 4.89 GPA and graduated with my IB diploma and was ranked 6th in my class, so I had the same competitive grades. I won awards and recognition at the state and national levels for my work in theater. Now, according to you they lowered their standards to let me in, so that means all the white kids who got in must have been geniuses. UCLA, on the other hand, offered me a big fat scholarship for being Hispanic, which I turned down because I got offered an ever better scholarship from my first choice school. I had poor white friends who could have benefited from that money. They had the same grades and test scores as me, but they didn't get help due to their race. Is that really ok?

Believe it or not, there are smart minorities who don't need special circumstances to get into college. We find AA insulting because it implies we need special help, that there's no way we could compete with our white counterparts. I am all for helping kids when they are younger to make them competitive college applicants, but college admissions should be not be based on raced. If you create a system where minorities have different standards then guess what, some of the smart ones won't work as hard because they know they don't need to do their best to get in to top schools. Keeping admissions competitive means that ALL students are encouraged to do their best if they want to get into a top school.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
But it was the government's "policy" to enslave a group of people and continue to demonize them (check out other post regarding blacks) and not provide any form of repreparations unlike the Japanese, Jews, Native Americans and even the germans who also suffered under this governmental "policy".

And regarding Bush, if he was black he would have NEVER been elected to the presidency! Especially for dodging the war, alcholism, business failures, and just for being stupid in general.
Why should we provide reparations? No blacks today were slaves. Not all blacks in America are descended from slaves. None of us are slave owners. A lot of my ancestors came to America in the 1600's, and we refused to own slaves. We were farmers who had enough money and land to do it but wouldn't do it. Why should I pay for something that I, nor my ancestors, did? Where are my reparations from being kicked out of Europe just for our religion? Nowhere? That's right.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Not true! It was not until recently that blacks were allowed into certain golf courses eventhough many of them were millionaires.

Also for the record AA has benefited more whitewomen than any other group of people! Do you still want to protest?
So now I have to be for it since I'm a woman? Sorry, I'm kind of an anti-feminist. That won't wash with me. We're not talking about golf clubs here. We're talking about colleges.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The old saying "It does not matter unless it is green" does not aply all of the time. Racism trumps greed in more than once!
Do you remember a time that blacks were not admitted to plush country clubs unless they worked there? This applied to the rich as well as the poor who wanted to play on the greens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities