Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Questioning & Critical thinking (they insist a College teaches) is detrimental to securing & holding a job. You'll be swallowed and what's left will be spitted out.
Hahaha. Every time I see that euphemism (questioning and critical thinking) prominently displayed on a university department's web site it is always for one of the worthless degrees that one can't get a job with and the department is trying to dream up some benefit to advertise to prospective students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Harvard has distance programs too. I know a good friend and former co-worker of mine is getting her masters in Software Engineering and does the VAST majority of work online--she has to travel up there for 2-3 days every semester for exams.
The Harvard Extension programs don't really open up any doors. They aren't respected, and they don't have any access to the alumni database (which is extremely important)

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
It's called "Harvard Extension" school. It's weird because they will let anybody in and the cost is $450 per credit I think. My buddy had a horrible GPA from a state school, but he met the minimum requirements.
WOW! so there's hope for me after all! I viewed the extension school website and am seriously considering a transfer. How about NYU? It's another I am considering. Will a finance/economics degree be valued from there?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
The Harvard Extension programs don't really open up any doors. They aren't respected, and they don't have any access to the alumni database (which is extremely important)
But its still Harvard. I would think that alone counts for something.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
But its still Harvard. I would think that alone counts for something.
The reason that a Harvard degree opens up a huge number of opportunities is because of (1) the extremely powerful alumni base that students and alums have access to and (2) employers recognize that the barriers to entry are extremely high, and that the employee is highly talented.

The Harvard Extension program is none of that. What does it prove - that any Joe six-pack is dumb enough to shell out money for online courses?

Please look up signaling theory and how it pertains to economics

Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
WOW! so there's hope for me after all! I viewed the extension school website and am seriously considering a transfer. How about NYU? It's another I am considering. Will a finance/economics degree be valued from there?
NYU has a very reputable on-campus finance program. Students there have access to a huge number of Wall Street investment banks, etc.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
It's called "Harvard Extension" school. It's weird because they will let anybody in and the cost is $450 per credit I think. My buddy had a horrible GPA from a state school, but he met the minimum requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Ah, okay. I sort of assumed it was the same thing for some reason.

I think the reason she's doing it is because of growth/more money in the company she works for at the moment. She'll put "Harvard" on the resume and no one will probably assume that it was an inferior program.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I think the reason she's doing it is because of growth/more money in the company she works for at the moment. She'll put "Harvard" on the resume and no one will probably assume that it was an inferior program.
Except that Harvard does not have a real Software Engineering program so it will be apparent regardless of what she points. Also, the transcripts will note that its from Harvard Extension and not Harvard.

Also, in the world of technology Harvard does not mean all that much.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
I'm going to be working, fresh out of a full-ride to UK, for 65,000$/yr, no debt.

In short, yes.

Quote:
College teaches you how to become an effective, efficient wage slave working for somebody else. If you want to run your own business, hit the library, hit the internet, and brainstorm 2-3 hours a day, considering possible avenues of income. This will be much more effective than college. But alas, many people just don't have it in them to take a chance in life, instead settling for comfortable mediocrity with social approval. This route is much more conducive to college.

Ultimately you have to be honest with yourself and consider whether or not you're the type who can find happiness in a 9-5 making someone else money, or whether you are OK with taking massive risks and possibly failing. There is no right answer.
I lol'd

Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM

306 posts, read 758,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A college degree is what is takes to get your foot in the door. But some people don't have what it takes to move beyond the door, others do. Ultimately it's personality, the personal connections you make (not "who you know" so much as the impression you leave on people), your work ethic, etc. that lead to success. Some people are doomed to stay in entry level jobs despite their college degree because they just aren't "people" persons or don't look for new opportunities or whatever. I've seen it myself.
Well at least they get that entry-level position. Even that's better than having NO position and living on welfare. And having a college degree for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities