Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We didn't have years and years of American History. It was in 8th and 11th grades only. Maybe that's why.
We don't either. We have 6th and 11th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Well, officially the kids have it in HS in 9th grade US cultures, 10th is AP US History, and 12th is AP US Government so that's three out of four for HS but in elementary school there's local and state history for most of third grade, Indians and geography second grade (I think), elementary level us government some time, US immigration for part of 6th grade, back to Pennsylvania history for part of 8th grade. Over the year lot's and lot's of US history with a smattering of the rest of the world here and there.

Maybe it's my own lack of World history but when my older kids did AP euro there seemed to be quite a bit of material that I was unfamiliar with and wars fought a few hundred years ago that I was fuzzy on. Must be just me... My son is getting an A in AP euro so he's obviously not having trouble.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Something more to consider is what he plans to major in and what college he plans to attend because that can make the difference when choosing.

All colleges have their own specific preferences.

This is somewhat confusing, but see if you can follow me here. lol My second daughter went to UT Austin and majored in Math to become a secondary Math teacher. Doing this meant her course load was very heavily skewed in Math courses. They suggested that she not take the credit that her AP Calculus test could provide because they wanted her to take their Calculus course. They advised that it would prepare her much better for the next course than the high school one had done and thus prevent her from failing that next level course. She took their advice and at the end agreed completely that had she gone straight to the next level she would have indeed failed it.

So, the point is, he should research the college he prefers and find out if they have similar issues/thoughts regarding those AP courses that might fit into what he wants to major in. That might make a difference in his choices if he knows ahead of time.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Well, officially the kids have it in HS in 9th grade US cultures, 10th is AP US History, and 12th is AP US Government so that's three out of four for HS but in elementary school there's local and state history for most of third grade, Indians and geography second grade (I think), elementary level us government some time, US immigration for part of 6th grade, back to Pennsylvania history for part of 8th grade. Over the year lot's and lot's of US history with a smattering of the rest of the world here and there.

Maybe it's my own lack of World history but when my older kids did AP euro there seemed to be quite a bit of material that I was unfamiliar with and wars fought a few hundred years ago that I was fuzzy on. Must be just me... My son is getting an A in AP euro so he's obviously not having trouble.
We didn't have much history in elementary, but what we did have was world except for fourth grade California history. Then world again in 7th and 9th. I don't consider US Government in the same realm because I know of no classes in any of the high schools that I went to that actually teach about history. I probably should add that only the actual honors kids took the class. 9th graders only had history at all if they were in honors history at my school district. Most kids took it in 10th grade. Then you were required to take US History in 11th and Government/Econ in 12th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities