Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM

203 posts, read 270,589 times

Advertisements

Hi - I just got accepted into a 60 credit MS program for Professional Counseling and my hope is to sit for the NCE exam in a few years. In NJ, you must file for an LAC license and then do the 3,000 supervised hours to obtain the LPC designation. I will accrue 900 hours during 3 semesters of internship in school but then I'll have a balance to go from LAC to LPC.

As it is, I'm going to really be in the hole with student loans (47 y/o mom with two young kids going back to grad school). My DH works but grad school will be quite an investment - other than our two kids! I've been looking at internships and it seems like there are several people who call themselves LPC supervisors and they charge to supervise. I didn't expect to make a ton of money during an internship but some stipend would be necessary if I have to pay for child care while DH is at work. We don't want to tap into our 401Ks or anything so money will be tight. My kids are in K & 1st so they're still young. If I have to pay OOP for counseling supervision, this is going to be REALLY tough! Are these ever paid or is paying the supervisor the norm?

My goal is to go into P/T private practice with a flexible schedule while my kids are in school. I am going for my LPC because I like the curriculum and it's somewhat similar to the MA in Clinical Psych I got in 1987. Unfortunately I can't be licensed with that in NJ and have to start over. I
know the MSW is more versatile but the LPC should give me what I need to do the kind of work I want. I just wonder how I will do a few thousand hours, work for free and PAY someone! Oh, and my student loans...
TIA!

Also, we're toying with the idea of moving south someday. Maybe around Atlanta or Dallas but NJ is very stringent so I'm sure I'll be qualified to apply for other licenses in other states as long as I keep up with CEUs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities