Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call UofP a degree mill since it is accredited and you do have to do work in order to pass. People do fail out of the school all the time, but you have to not turn in your work or just be plain awful at writing in order to fail. Well, the plain awful at writing is kind of questionable since I kept on seeing the same illiterate students pop up class after class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
This thread is just one example showing that, rightly or wrongly, many people have a low opinion of for-profit education. Bearing this in mind, why would anyone enroll in a for-profit, unless there is literally no other option available? Why do this to yourself? Why take on this stigma, whether it's justified or not? There are plenty of legitimate, traditional universities with part-time, on-line programs. Further, several highly regarded British universities have external programs available to American students.
That is the majority of students, those that don't have any other options.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,717 times
You know, if I wasn't getting docked points on my papers for grammar and other minor faults I might agree with you. UoP (That's University of Phoenix) online has been a good experience overall. And there are barriers to entry there too. If you got a 3.0 or lower GPA in your Bachelor's you can give up on an easy Masters entry! The "regular" schools are so inundated with students they are turning away thousands.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I wouldn't call UofP a degree mill since it is accredited and you do have to do work in order to pass. People do fail out of the school all the time, but you have to not turn in your work or just be plain awful at writing in order to fail. Well, the plain awful at writing is kind of questionable since I kept on seeing the same illiterate students pop up class after class.
But because you cannot see their grades and the courses often overlap degree programs and schedules you don't see said person later fail out or just give up on school (lots of those in the BSIT program this year) often the comments you see about someone being all pissed off about UoP education can be attributed to a bias, most likely a failure. I will agree that some of the students care little for the conventions of grammar, spelling, or punctuation, it could be construed as a failure of prior English teachers, or even evidence of a foreign student when English is a second language.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
To the OP...

It doesn't matter that a graduate degree can't hurt. It could make you overqualified in some cases. Even though it may help you climb the corporate ladder, there are plenty other graduate programs offered by reputable schools online at a fraction of UofP's tuition.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenjesus View Post
But because you cannot see their grades and the courses often overlap degree programs and schedules you don't see said person later fail out or just give up on school (lots of those in the BSIT program this year) often the comments you see about someone being all pissed off about UoP education can be attributed to a bias, most likely a failure. I will agree that some of the students care little for the conventions of grammar, spelling, or punctuation, it could be construed as a failure of prior English teachers, or even evidence of a foreign student when English is a second language.
S

Seems most regret paying the very high cost of tuition based on complaints of those that went there.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Thank you all for your posts. This is an old thread. Since I initiated this thread, I have found a graduate program other than UofP that suits my needs and am well into the curriculum already.

If you like, continue posting for the benefit of others. It's all good.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Thank you all for your posts. This is an old thread. Since I initiated this thread, I have found a graduate program other than UofP that suits my needs and am well into the curriculum already.

If you like, continue posting for the benefit of others. It's all good.
May I ask where you decided to go instead?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I may have posted before but the answer is NO. NO. NO!!!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:01 AM

49 posts, read 215,392 times
I graduate next week with my bachelor's in psychology from UOP. I have not had any issues with knowing how many credits are required nor the amount of tuition either. Also, I have heard many students drop out on a regular basis, but it is because they work too many hours and cannot dedicate enough time to their education or because they are not disciplined when it comes to time-management skills. Furthermore, many believe that UOP is a degree mill and give it a try thinking they will not have to work hard to get their degree. This is not true! You work twice as hard, in my opinion because your team mates are on different time zones and you can't gauge their personality through the internet as you would by reading their body language and facial expresssions in a face-to-face scenario. I do know that for a Masters in Psychology, their program does not include the clinical aspect, so licensure will not be possible. The bottom line is that it's the student's job to become informed. People need to do their research before jumping into anything. Heck, you won't do that with purchasing a vehicle. Why do it when it comes to your education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities