U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Attending a top-10 MBA school full-time opens up the most doors in terms of networking opportunities, career switching, and career advancement.

Part-time students don't have access to on-campus recruiting, and second/third tier schools don't have access to the top employers.

Attending a top school is all about the network. Accounting is the same at Harvard as it is at Joe Six-Pack university - you have to conform to GAAP rules. The quality of students at both places is far different and that is what makes up the difference. If you find yourself in an economic downturn or laid off, you can easily call up a buddy from B-School and end up in a similar high-paying job as what you had before, as opposed to posting about "how your life isn't fair" on the unemployment forums at City-Data. The Harvard MBA will have the power to pull strings, Joe Six-Pack will not.

This poster does come across pretty arrogant, but the poster is generally right. An Ivy League degree brings in near certainty in highly desirable employments.

UoP will not get you anyway near that. It may get you a job at a not so desirable position or a promotion in the Government.

But career objectives are different. Maybe someone is looking for an easy way to a school like UoP. Insecurity, Job loss, and complaining are also tacit parts of that objective.

Theoretically, if everyone went to Ivy League schools, then you would have too many chiefs !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,913,034 times
NYCAnalyst: you have failed to read, or at least comprehend, the link you have provided. That link is for a professional development office for people in a program specifically designed for those who already have an established career and are just looking for a piece of paper to tack one to their resume, not for people who need the help of recruiters to establish a career. The distinguishing factor is not the full-time vs. part-time, but the nature of the student: working professional vs. new professional.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 PM

784 posts, read 1,650,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
NYCAnalyst: you have failed to read, or at least comprehend, the link you have provided. That link is for a professional development office for people in a program specifically designed for those who already have an established career and are just looking for a piece of paper to tack one to their resume, not for people who need the help of recruiters to establish a career. The distinguishing factor is not the full-time vs. part-time, but the nature of the student: working professional vs. new professional.
The NYU one is pretty clear.

Not sure what you are alluding to regarding the Kellogg link. It's pretty clear that part-time students cannot participate in on-campus recruiting for summer internships. How then, can someone at Kellogg who is looking to establish a career, compete for full-time opportunities against full-time Kellogg students who have interned at Goldman, Google, McKinsey, etc, when the part-time student doesn't have any of this under his belt? He cannot. When an employer is looking at a student who has interned at Bain vs. one who didn't do any summer internship (but is looking to establish a career), the question is - why didn't you complete a summer internship last summer, but rather you were stuck in the job that you want out of?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 AM

4,397 posts, read 3,250,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
OK - For starters, I've spent time reading a large majority of negative posts regarding the U of P on this forum, yet most of these posters do not provide comments that explain their stance. There seems to be a lot of bashing without valid reasoning to back it up. Please give me the lowdown on them; the good as well as the bad, in relation to their Master's level programs.

The reason I'm considering U of P is because I am wrapping up my Bachelor's at a college that has national accreditation (vs. regional) and found out that they will take the BS at face value and I can move straight into their Master's program without worry about what will and will not transfer over. I am considering their Master's in Administration of Justice and Security. This appeals to me because I plan to be working full time and need to be flexible with schooling.

Without going into too much detail, yet I'd be happy to provide it if it will provide better answers, I have close to a decade of experience in the field in which I plan to apply this degree. I have my sights set on several federal positions in a very select field. These positions include the Federal Railroad Administration (Operating Rules), Department of Homeland Security (Surface Inspector), and Department of Transportation (Rail Division).

While I realize that I do not need this degree to qualify for these jobs, it cannot hurt to have a graduate degree.

Any and all quality comments will be appreciated. If you're going to bash, please give valid reasoning. If you know of any other colleges that offer Criminal Justice degrees (Master's level) that are fully accepting of national accreditation, please provide a link for them. U of P will be conducting a seminar at my current school later this month. Can anyone give me good questions to ask the recruiter?

I thank in advance everybody who can contribute, especially those familiar in my selected field/job endeavor's.
OK - as per my original post, the bold portions are what I was shooting for getting helpful info on. Most of you have been quite helpful. As for you, NYCAnalyst, you are in a much different employment bracket than I care to achieve or work in. You have taken this thread and turned it into your own personal grandstanding platform.

I could care less about the best MBA schools or wall street. Maybe a better question would have been "Will a Master's degree from U of P give me better placement on the federal (GS) pay ladder?" I am a 35 y/o blue-collar worker. I ran freight trains for close to a decade before choosing to go back to school so I could land a job that was more family friendly. I also served my country with a tour in the Navy. For me, what I have achieved so far is a great accomplishment. I would like to go further. I'll bet you didn't even read my original post, as nothing you have addressed pertains to what I was asking.

As for everybody else, thank you for your participation, especially Synergy1.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 AM

3,756 posts, read 5,514,397 times
Quote:
OK - as per my original post, the bold portions are what I was shooting for getting helpful info on. Most of you have been quite helpful. As for you, NYCAnalyst, you are in a much different employment bracket than I care to achieve or work in. You have taken this thread and turned it into your own personal grandstanding platform.

I could care less about the best MBA schools or wall street. Maybe a better question would have been "Will a Master's degree from U of P give me better placement on the federal (GS) pay ladder?" I am a 35 y/o blue-collar worker. I ran freight trains for close to a decade before choosing to go back to school so I could land a job that was more family friendly. I also served my country with a tour in the Navy. For me, what I have achieved so far is a great accomplishment. I would like to go further. I'll bet you didn't even read my original post, as nothing you have addressed pertains to what I was asking.

As for everybody else, thank you for your participation, especially Synergy1.
Yes, I agree NYCAnalyst thinks she/he is better than everyone. In another thread commented with some very insulting posts. It is hard to understand that if there is any education this person has, how the responses continue to be condescending and insulting. So, I am glad that other posters here on City Data are seeing this beside me. The upity attitude is not a mark of an educated person with class and style

Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstuff View Post
This poster does come across pretty arrogant, but the poster is generally right. An Ivy League degree brings in near certainty in highly desirable employments.

UoP will not get you anyway near that. It may get you a job at a not so desirable position or a promotion in the Government.

But career objectives are different. Maybe someone is looking for an easy way to a school like UoP. Insecurity, Job loss, and complaining are also tacit parts of that objective.

Theoretically, if everyone went to Ivy League schools, then you would have too many chiefs !

I agree a hundred percent. An educated person does not put other people done. If a degree is what you need, many go to online schools and do very successful. Keep negative people out of your life and march on to your degree.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 AM

10,036 posts, read 15,413,038 times
Quote:
OK - For starters, I've spent time reading a large majority of negative posts regarding the U of P on this forum, yet most of these posters do not provide comments that explain their stance. There seems to be a lot of bashing without valid reasoning to back it up. Please give me the lowdown on them; the good as well as the bad, in relation to their Master's level programs.

The reason I'm considering U of P is because I am wrapping up my Bachelor's at a college that has national accreditation (vs. regional) and found out that they will take the BS at face value and I can move straight into their Master's program without worry about what will and will not transfer over. I am considering their Master's in Administration of Justice and Security. This appeals to me because I plan to be working full time and need to be flexible with schooling.

Without going into too much detail, yet I'd be happy to provide it if it will provide better answers, I have close to a decade of experience in the field in which I plan to apply this degree. I have my sights set on several federal positions in a very select field. These positions include the Federal Railroad Administration (Operating Rules), Department of Homeland Security (Surface Inspector), and Department of Transportation (Rail Division).

While I realize that I do not need this degree to qualify for these jobs, it cannot hurt to have a graduate degree.

Any and all quality comments will be appreciated. If you're going to bash, please give valid reasoning. If you know of any other colleges that offer Criminal Justice degrees (Master's level) that are fully accepting of national accreditation, please provide a link for them. U of P will be conducting a seminar at my current school later this month. Can anyone give me good questions to ask the recruiter?

I thank in advance everybody who can contribute, especially those familiar in my selected field/job endeavor's.
Excellent post ditchlights!

Most responding posters have been very helpful, but for those of you that choose to make snide comments, let me give a quick TOS reminder. http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

"Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other. " and "Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments."

The Poster is not saying that he has a choice between an Ivy League school and the University of Phoenix. Let's stick to his questions please. I would love to remove the off topic posts, but they seem to be embedded in the discussion. Please report off topic and rude comments.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 AM

18,979 posts, read 11,128,993 times
Quote:

So, you're saying that you're getting a BA that wouldn't be recognized by most universities? That's rough.

I participate in interviewing in my dept. and no, I would not consider a person with an MS from UoP. I don't think HR would send that person to be interviewed any way. The fact that UoP is viewed so poorly in general should be enough for you to stay the heck a way. There are plenty of state universities that offer on line programs, that are less expensive, where you wouldn't have to worry about your degree actually working against you. Of course, that's irrelevent if uni's wouldn't honor your undergrad. I just don't understand why you would bother. No degree is better than a UoP degree.

Frankly, it really irks me that these for profit schools are screwing so many people over. Your best bet is to get opinions from people that have finished their UoP degrees and see where they're at.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM

You can check out a school reviews by googling the schools name: like: Kaplan University review

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,746,363 times
Quote:
Fair enough. But with a statement like this, it would be quite validating to disclose who or what "we" are, and what "we" considers to be a "diploma mill" college. Or are you just lumping ALL for-profit school's into the same heap?

Have you attended U of P? What might not be challenging to you may be intensely difficult for a person juggling a family, carreer, life, ect...

Since you seem comfortable speaking for "other businesses" as well, would you list who they are, or at least what industry you are a hiring manager/VIP in? What if the potential employee has significant field experience along with their degree?
I can say this is true for my company as well (F500). Well, it's not that they won't hire someone with a UofP degree for monkey work, it's just that it won't help you in any way and will start to become a hindrance as you try to advance.

It may not be fair, but perception is everything. BA from No Name State > MBA from UofP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities