Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:17 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,417,633 times

Advertisements

Carmen Lookshire is halfway through her first year of college, but she already has her studies mapped out – and is looking at graduation in just two more years.

The art history major is one of the first students to take advantage of the new three-year college degree at Hartwick College in Oneonta, N.Y. – part of a growing number of such programs designed to help students shave tuition costs and get to the job market or graduate school faster.

Three-year degree - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,368,066 times
How about they don't go to private schools in the first place?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,905,862 times
Yup. I took enough classes at the local jr college when I was in high school that I was able to graduate in just 5 semesters. It meant that I didn't have to take out any student loans.

I wanted to stick around, just to spend time with my friends and take "fun" classes (those semesters were packed with degree requirements, and no electives), but there was no way to justify a $15k semester to take gymnastics and mythology classes, when I had a perfectly good double major in the business school already completed.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,438,263 times
I would support a 3 year college plan if it meant you needed fewer credits to graduate. Trying to fit 4 years worth of credits into 3 years is excessive. I might be able to graduate in 3.5 years if I take enough summer classes. But that's 3.5, not 3.

Reducing the number of credits needed to graduate isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. I know students that completed all the classes in their major but had to take useless easy electives just to reach the required number of credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Right on.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,355,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Or at least make sure they are getting a huge % of tuition in scholarship if they do go to a private. I went to a private for UG, but I only paid <30% of the sticker price.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,980,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yup. I took enough classes at the local jr college when I was in high school that I was able to graduate in just 5 semesters. It meant that I didn't have to take out any student loans.

I wanted to stick around, just to spend time with my friends and take "fun" classes (those semesters were packed with degree requirements, and no electives), but there was no way to justify a $15k semester to take gymnastics and mythology classes, when I had a perfectly good double major in the business school already completed.
Oh come on now, you know those mythology and gymnastics classes are the quintessential to making you "well rounded"

Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,169,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The art history major

Haha, she better get used to saying, "Do you want fries with that?".

Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 AM

917 posts, read 2,938,831 times
Heck, I had the credits and required courses to graduate in 2.5 years thanks to taking college classes in HS, AP/IB tests, and taking the max number of courses allowed by the school each semester. However, I had a 4 year scholarship I didn't want to waste so I spent the last year and a half adding a second concentration to my major and minoring in geo for fun while taking random classes.

If I hadn't had the scholarship, my school would have allowed me to graduate a year early, so it's nice to know that other people have this option.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,720,707 times
So this is a degree that is slightly more useful than an Associates, but slightly less than a Bachelor's?!

Well, considering a Bacheolor's degree is the new HS diploma, why not save all your money and don't go at all?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
This must be the latest rage. Newsweek did an article about 3 year degrees a few months ago, and our local paper had this article yesterday:

CU-Boulder discusses three-year degrees - Boulder Daily Camera

The funny thing is, at my alma mater, the University of Pittsburgh, you could do this 40 or more years ago, in some majors, mostly in the college of arts and sciences. However, I do not know one person who did so. What is the point, unless you're planning to go to med school or get a PhD?

I think most colleges should work a little more on getting students graduated in 4 years before looking at 3. The University of CO has an abysmal 4 year graduation rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities