U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 AM

79 posts, read 207,302 times
Default Cleveland State University or University Of Arkansas

My daughter is looking at these two universities -Cleveland State and University Of Arkansas Fayetteville.

According to the U.S news rank, Arkansas is ranked higher. Arkansas is very safe. However, I think that Cleveland offers more as a city than Fayetteville. It is very difficult to get to Arkansas from where we are; extra $ for airfare. She cannot get there in one day and would have to overnight in another state. Hotel cost to consider as well. Much easier to get to Ohio, and much cheaper transportation wise. She is fascinated by CSU's website, the dorms are ideal ( includes kitchenette and own bathroom), a larger city, public transportation is better, newer buildings etc. She likes the programs both offers.However, we are doing this from the internet. Right now her focus is on International Business/ Economics and pre law. Long term goal is law. If anyone could give me any input I would appreciate. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 AM

30 posts, read 33,238 times
welll arkansas UOA in Fayetteville is a reallly good school but with all the things you said about cost and stuff and how ur daughter really liked CSU then she should got 2 the 1 she really like the best

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM

6,046 posts, read 6,075,405 times
The point of going to college far away is to pick a college you like so much that you don't want to go home. If going home is a priority, you should just stay nearby. Having a college that's hard to get to can be a good thing because it would encourage your daughter to experience the college and not go home every weekend (not that it would be an option anyway).

Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM

904 posts, read 926,546 times
I got into CSU, however did not attend. I decided to attend another college, but that's beside the point.

CSU is a great school all around for the most part. The only downside, and I'm not sure if your daughter knows this or not, but CSU is primarily a commuter school. The rooms in the dorm are awesome since it used to be a hotel (at least Viking Hall was), but I don't know how she feels about the university being primarily a commuter school. Not to say students don't live in the dorms, many do, however many many don't. The city is really trying to get the University to be a focal point of the city, so it's definitely a university that will continue to improve.

Cleveland is a fun city. There is a lot going on usually. It gets a bad rep in the media and national news, and it's not a beautiful looking city all year long like Los Angeles or something, and it's not as fancy as New York City (then again, what city is?), but Cleveland has a lot to offer. Yes there are some parts to look out for and stay away from, but that's common sense and every city has parts like it, not just Cleveland. I go up to Cleveland for Cavs games and Browns games a lot, and I always enjoy going up. That's another thing, if she likes sports, she'll love Cleveland. I mean, we have LeBron James

Another thing to mention too, I don't know where you guys live, but the Winters in Cleveland can be pretty harsh. Luckily the CSU campus isn't spread out, but Cleveland is right on the lake (Lake Erie) and has lake effect snow, so Winters can be pretty cold and full of snow.

Just my thoughts. Good luck. If there's any other questions, feel free to ask, one of us here will try to answer.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 1,934,798 times
Cleveland State also has a good law school, so she could just stay at Cleveland State for law school, if that's what she wants.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM

273 posts, read 248,773 times
Quote:
She cannot get there in one day and would have to overnight in another state.
Where is your daughter coming from? Is she flying into Northwest Arkansas Airport? I assume that when you say "overnight in another state" you are referring to where she switches planes? There aren't any flights available that have a layover in the afternoon? I'm very curious and confused about that statement.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM

79 posts, read 207,302 times
We are outside of the USA. She is travelling on an airline pass ( employee discount) with an international carrier. Will take us four flights to get to NW Arkansas in August, if she goes there. Airline pass takes her to the closest international airport to Arkansas, then would have to buy a ticket on a commuter plane for travel between, let's say DFW and Arkansas. Will be coming home @ christmas and summer breaks only, (if she doesn't do summer session). In order to meet the connecting flights would have to overnite in either Newark or DFW. Hotel, taxi, meals, anxiety etc. This is something I know only too well about, as I use to visit Rapid City SD in my youthful years and spent many nights in Denver and Minnesota because of the connections. Wasn't easy !

To get to Ohio would take us two (2) flights. The most 3 and it can be done in one day.There are many flights in and out of Cleveland. I guess this has to do with the population.

Ohio is alot different from Arkansas and she impressed. Much more diverse. Arkansas is more safer and Uof A is highly ranked.She likes the cold and does not want to go Florida, New Jersey, New York etc ( been to those States many many times). She wants a different experience from her friends.

Arkansas is really my first preference in terms of rankings and safety. CSU's website is impressive and they seem to be rapidly progressing. The entire facility is certainly appealing but that's from the internet. Both offer great programs. Thats why I needed input from others. CSU offers her a different exposure, which may better for her career later in life and also there is better public transportation. Each state is unique.

Thanks again. Appreciate your input.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,075,405 times
If she's only going home once (maybe twice) per year, don't worry too much about the flight.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,468,352 times
My suggestion would be to go where she thinks that she would want to work after college, but it sounds like she may not even be sure of that yet (which is expected and fully acceptable of a young student).

I am biased on my opinion, and have never been to Cleveland, so my opinion is of little use to this decision.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM

784 posts, read 1,733,372 times
Once you are beyond the top 50 or so schools, rank isn't important anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities