U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,764,503 times

Advertisements

What kind of line of work can you go into without a college education and make at least 50,000 a year? My ds was looking into law enforcement but you still have to have some college. Of course I think that he should go to college but he hates it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM

9,307 posts, read 12,475,664 times
Courier.

Be prepared to work 65+ hours a week, drive all the time, beat up your car, and sit around a lot.

It's not for everybody.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:32 PM

9,386 posts, read 5,714,509 times
Plumber, construction, any highly skilled field like the above two.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM

Also wanted to mention that from what I`m hearing now(from some UPS drivers), UPS is wanting degrees now.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,654,277 times
Air traffic control, any of the trades (although trade school, which is training is needed in most cases) like auto machanic (make a lot of money), carpentry, welding, masonry, construction, then there's plumbing, electrician, ...

How about dental assistant, nurses aide, etc..

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,654,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
What kind of line of work can you go into without a college education and make at least 50,000 a year? My ds was looking into law enforcement but you still have to have some college. Of course I think that he should go to college but he hates it.
Law enforcement might work if he goes to a community college for a couple years. I don't know. But then there's also firefighting that doesn't require college. My daughter has friends in high school who are firefighters locally. There is training at the department.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

2,739 posts, read 3,596,242 times
You do not need a degree to become a cop. You need to be able to pass a written test, physical, backgrounds, psychlogy, and mental test. You have a stable history and a clean background. Having a degree helps but not has much as military experience. Since the government is doing so badly, becoming a cop has become tougher than ever. It will take at least 1 year to get throught the process. Then depending on what department, the academy takes 14-26 weeks. Once you finish that, you will become an officer.

There are plenty of things one can do if they are willing to go to a trade school. One also has to be willing to do a physically demanding job as well. Going to trade school usually takes 1-2 years. You'll start off low because these jobs need people with experience. Once you get the experience, you can make a good living but like I said, it is physically demanding. Many of my friends fathers hate what they do now but are stuck because they have been doing it for 20 years and can't really switch into anything now since they will be paid so much less.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,314,343 times
Other than enlisting in the military? I dunno. And even then, you won't make that much right out of the starting gate, but those who stick around go well beyond $50K. In this day and age, your options for making $50K without a higher education makes for some pretty slim pickings. There's tons of skilled trades, but in most cases you'll need years of apprenticeship and/or formal experience before you reach $50K.

Try these ideas on for size: No Degree Required

Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Dub D, I guess it depends on were you live because in some areas that I looked at they require an AA for law enforcement.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:52 PM

2,739 posts, read 3,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Dub D, I guess it depends on were you live because in some areas that I looked at they require an AA for law enforcement.

Really? I have several friends who are cops that didn't get degrees. They went to school but didn't complete the program. If you live near the border, Border Patrol is not nearly as strict regarding requirements. They need people asap. It doesn't pay 50k until a few years in. It is much more dangerous than most other departments as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities