Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,424,368 times

Advertisements

Money-back guarantees hardly seem to go with higher education. And offering them to prospective applicants during a recession sounds downright insane. But that's the sweetheart deal a community college in Michigan has started dangling to try to increase its enrollment. Beginning in May, people who take six-week courses in certain subjects will be guaranteed a job within a year — or else they'll be refunded their tuition money.

Read more: A Michigan College Offers Money-Back Guarantee for Jobs - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,170,244 times
Sounds like a good idea. I find it to be criminal the amount of graduates that universities and community colleges are pumping out, all the while knowing that a large amount will never get jobs.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,138,409 times
Meaningless guarantee...all jobs aren't created equal

Up to competent parents and kids to figure out which colleges and specific majors/GPAs have been proven to lead to decent jobs, even in difficult economies like '08, '09, etc

And figure this out by age ~10, so kids have a fighting chance to try to enter such colleges/majors and career paths (and develop back-up plans)

Easy data to determine in a few minutes on Net...

Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,164,021 times
This offer only extends to four 6-week certificate programs (call-center, quality inspectors, computer mechanics, and pharmacy techs), and, in order to 'qualify' for the refund, the students must attend job seminars and prove that they are actively applying for jobs. This is not some arbitrary idea put forth by the college; they did their homework. The probability that these students will receive a job offer is in the college's favor. Chances are high that at least one job opportunity will present itself within the year.

That is just it, the guaranty is that they land a job in the particular field. The guaranty does not extend to multiple job offers or to a specific rate of pay. The guaranty is void if the graduate does not accept an offer of employment.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM

809 posts, read 1,324,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This offer only extends to four 6-week certificate programs (call-center, quality inspectors, computer mechanics, and pharmacy techs), and, in order to 'qualify' for the refund, the students must attend job seminars and prove that they are actively applying for jobs. This is not some arbitrary idea put forth by the college; they did their homework. The probability that these students will receive a job offer is in the college's favor. Chances are high that at least one job opportunity will present itself within the year.

That is just it, the guaranty is that they land a job in the particular field. The guaranty does not extend to multiple job offers or to a specific rate of pay. The guaranty is void if the graduate does not accept an offer of employment.
There is fine print - it stated some of these positions were at a call center- I am sure many will be offered jobs midnight to 7AM. Will people accept this job? Also, maybe the jobs are in an undesireable part of town. There are probably a million reasons why these companies are offering this incentive.
The students need to listen to what is being said- talk to people who have graduated from the program in the past or current employees of the companies to see what type of organization it really is. I hope it works out for the students

Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,665,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
And figure this out by age ~10, so kids have a fighting chance to try to enter such colleges/majors and career paths (and develop back-up plans)

Easy data to determine in a few minutes on Net...
Completely agree with this poster. Playing outside and with friends only hold a kid back to that mind frame. The child needs to be prepared and like the poster said, figure out what he/she should do. I honestly think I would have done better in life if my parents spent the time to do this and keep TV and video games out of the house. There really isn't anything beneficial to video games.

Typically if a person is a good parent you can tell what that child should be by ten. Im sure there are books out there about it. I know the typical sign of an early engineer is taking things apart. My brother should have been one, he was always taking apart irons, tables, toys...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,907,435 times
Wowowow.

By 10, your future career should be chosen for you? I took apart things all the time (put them back together too!) My mom would give me all her broken kitchen appliances to tinker with. I'm sure as heck glad I didn't become an engineer (I actually tried it--I was miserable).

I absolutely think that people need to be realistic about what they major in, and have goals going into college that translate into careers rather than just degrees. I don't agree with pigeon holing kids at 10, when they haven't even had any tough courses yet. What happens when the future engineer gets to physics and is no good at it or hates it?

Never mind the fact that it's a little goofy to pick a major/career when you're at least 12 years away from applying for a job...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Completely agree with this poster. Playing outside and with friends only hold a kid back to that mind frame. The child needs to be prepared and like the poster said, figure out what he/she should do. I honestly think I would have done better in life if my parents spent the time to do this and keep TV and video games out of the house. There really isn't anything beneficial to video games.

Typically if a person is a good parent you can tell what that child should be by ten. Im sure there are books out there about it. I know the typical sign of an early engineer is taking things apart. My brother should have been one, he was always taking apart irons, tables, toys...
Are you being serious? I'm seriously shocked! Students change their majors in college! The "future engineer" might decide to get a PhD in physics instead. The "future nurse" might decide to become a physician, or a physical therapist, or get a PhD in biology, become a pastor, etc.

Some years ago a for-profit college in the Denver area guaranteed a job after graduation. (Haven't seen their ads for a long time now.) A student there told me that meant you had to accept ANY job, fast-food, retail, etc, to fulfil the guarantee.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM

207 posts, read 961,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Money-back guarantees hardly seem to go with higher education. And offering them to prospective applicants during a recession sounds downright insane. But that's the sweetheart deal a community college in Michigan has started dangling to try to increase its enrollment. Beginning in May, people who take six-week courses in certain subjects will be guaranteed a job within a year — or else they'll be refunded their tuition money.
Read more: A Michigan College Offers Money-Back Guarantee for Jobs - TIME
I find this completely laughable. I'm sure they have some sort of deal with Wal-Mart or something that they take their students if they can't get other crappy offers. Personally I wouldn't even consider a 6-week course at community college "college" so it's pretty irrelevant. If it were an actual 4-year school with more serious outcomes then maybe. Places like that love to scam uneducated people who are desperate for a job, it's terrible.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,164,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
There is fine print - it stated some of these positions were at a call center- I am sure many will be offered jobs midnight to 7AM. Will people accept this job? Also, maybe the jobs are in an undesireable part of town. There are probably a million reasons why these companies are offering this incentive.
That is just it, they only guaranty a job offer; not multiple offers, not 'desirable' offers. As soon a company extends an offer -any offer- the ability for refund becomes void.

It seems shady to me, especially since these certs. run at two grand for a six-week course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities