Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,298,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
The unemployment rate is 50% lower for people with a college degree vs. those with a high school diploma.
Those college grads who are working at starbucks hardly count for your statistic.

As I sit here at starbucks applying for jobs, I know of at least 3 employees at this store who have college degrees. They acquired a college degree all just make me my 3 pump classic, light ice, grande, green ice tea.

Now, of course that does actually give the college degree some credibility. These employees I know might not have their slightly above minimum wage job if they didn't have it. But I think the topic from the OP refers to a bachelors degree being the new high school diploma. I don't think of starbucks as being a high school diploma type of job. I actually think of starbucks as a job that someone works at while in high school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,479,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Those college grads who are working at starbucks hardly count for your statistic.

As I sit here at starbucks applying for jobs, I know of at least 3 employees at this store who have college degrees. They acquired a college degree all just make me my 3 pump classic, light ice, grande, green ice tea.

Now, of course that does actually give the college degree some credibility. These employees I know might not have their slightly above minimum wage job if they didn't have it. But I think the topic from the OP refers to a bachelors degree being the new high school diploma. I don't think of starbucks as being a high school diploma type of job. I actually think of starbucks as a job that someone works at while in high school!
It is a HS diploma job. A college degre doesn't gaurantee you anything.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,791,353 times
There is such a glut of college graduates that many employers have added that as a requirement.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,529,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There is such a glut of college graduates that many employers have added that as a requirement.
This is exactly true. I've been semi job hunting (I'm moving and going back to school this fall) and I was really surprised at the amount of jobs that flat out require a bachelors degree and pay less than $12 an hour. I live in a very high cost area, and $12 an hour is barely enough to afford your own studio apartment and basic living costs.

A good friend of mine is halfway through her trade program to get a bunch of welding certs and she's found that companies looking for welded are now requiring bachelors on top of certs for a simple structural welder.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,479,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is exactly true. I've been semi job hunting (I'm moving and going back to school this fall) and I was really surprised at the amount of jobs that flat out require a bachelors degree and pay less than $12 an hour. I live in a very high cost area, and $12 an hour is barely enough to afford your own studio apartment and basic living costs.

A good friend of mine is halfway through her trade program to get a bunch of welding certs and she's found that companies looking for welded are now requiring bachelors on top of certs for a simple structural welder.
Very interesting.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM

460 posts, read 1,136,637 times
I finished a BA just so I could go back and do what I used to do without one. I am currently working on a cert/designation.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,766,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
I finished a BA just so I could go back and do what I used to do without one. I am currently working on a cert/designation.
What was your BA in?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

460 posts, read 1,136,637 times
In my case, that is the wrong question as my BA could have been in just about anything. I just needed one :-)

Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
I think a smart highly motivated person with a bachelors degree will be a successful person in the future, whether or not there are so many people with a bachelors degree.

My dad has only a high school degree, but is an extremely hard worker and is a skilled laborer. He is very good at what he does, not only that but he is great in the stock market and has also made investments when he was 18 years old that helped him pay for a very nice house in cash when he was in his 40s. Take other people in his position and they are struggling to make ends meat, why? Because of poor decisions.

The people who can't find jobs or are struggling are the people who make more poor decisions than good decisions.

A bachelors degree is always a good idea, and will definitely help people out along the way. There's no reason to look down upon it, but yes they are becoming much more common, and it will be very hard to get by without one in the future.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
dont waste time with crap like art studies, media studies.
??? I know quite a few people with great jobs in the print media field with those degrees/specializations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
People are living longer than ever, so in the grand scheme of things the 4 years of college is not a tremendous sacrifice. Colleges also provide other indirect opportunities, such as dating and finding spouses with similar intellectual curiosity.
Not to mention great professional contacts, that WILL help in the job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The state with the lowest % of High School graduates was Kentucky with 74.1%.
Doesn't shock me at all, especially when half on my current "class" had to take remedial classes RIGHT out of high school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I never listened to such talk. I always wanted the highest degree that I could get because I wanted to be highly educated. I required high academic achievement for its intrinsic value. This was important to my sense of self-worth. I wanted to be an expert in some field and respected as such. I wanted to be one of few, not one of many. That way, I could live the way I wanted, not the only way I could. I wanted to work where I pleased, not work where I could. I wanted to live where I wanted, not where I could. More education is always better IMO.

Who the hell cares whether society in some objective fashion deems "the bachelors degree as the new high school degree"? Not me. I set my own high standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Then a HS degree equals a middle school one?
Pretty close in some areas. There are factory jobs in this area the have started to require a BA, nevermind the fact a retarded crack monkey can do the job they are hiring for perfectly well, they are just weeding out too many "problem children" by requiring a degree. They also ignore the LACK of a degree in some cases if they experience is enough, but they aren't advertising that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It frankly doesn't matter what a high degree is worth compared to a middle school certificate because both of those educations are free. College educations are not free. So if their worth is no more than a high school degree why should anyone get them?
To have more opportunities for job advancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
The Colleges waste too much time making students take BS classes.
What classes do you mean by "bs" classes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaku View Post
Subjects like Women's Studies are not worthless in an educational sense, but are pretty much worthless in a career sense.
How so? A BA in Women's Studies with a few Psych classes can get you a job with an Ad company designing ads for women's products. That can be a great job if you are with the right agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities